1 2 3
joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
12/27/18 9:51 p.m.

In reply to Curtis :

i cooked scrambled eggs today, and burnt some cheese next to them, everything slid right out!  And I used no butter or oil at all!  Best scrambled eggs I’ve ever made.  Thanks for the suggestion!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
12/28/18 10:54 a.m.
John Welsh said:
ProDarwin said:

I got a cast iron pan for Xmas!  I am excite!  I will report back after I try cooking with it

My daily drivers are 8" and 12" Lodge Brand Cast Iron on an Induction cook top. I would never go to anything else. 

Though your new pain Wil likely claim to be be pre-seasoned it would still be wise to take them through the process yourself too. 

My gift was a 12" Lodge.  Yes it does claim to be seasoned.  Do you have a recommended seasoning process?

My cook top is electric (glass), but I won't be changing that until I refurb the kitchen.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
12/29/18 6:49 p.m.

I tried it for the first time tonight.  I burnt my eggs!  Yay!

CJ
CJ GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/29/18 7:12 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

I received several cast iron pans - Wagner and Lodge - from my grandparents when they passed.  They were pretty crusty from years of cooking and had some light surface rust from sitting in boxes in an unheated garage.

Ended up putting a couple at a time through the oven self-clean cycle.  Let them cool off, wiped off the ash, and then hit them with a scotch bright pad to knock off what was left.

Wiped down with a thin coat of Crisco inside and out, then back into the oven at 500* for about an hour. Let them cool and wiped off the excess oil.  Recoat with Crisco and back in the oven at 500*.  Did that process three times and they seasoned very well.

Just wipe them out to clean after cooking - no soap.  I put a light coat of oil on the cooking surface before I hang them up and they are ready to go the next time.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/29/18 8:41 p.m.

I buy my pots and pans at the local restaurant supply house. I think I have a combination of Winco and Vollrath brands in aluminum and stainless steel. They're generally awesome but they don't say things like "Caphalon" on them so they're affordable.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/13/19 11:21 a.m.

Today's thing on Woot jumped out at me as pretty decent deal. I think it takes care of everything but cast iron, a nonstick or carbon for eggs, and a bigger pot for about $140. I think you could get by pretty well with just this stuff for some time. I don't see any reference to induction compatibility, so there's that...

https://home.woot.com/offers/cuisinart-copper-cookware-set-8-piece-4

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
1/13/19 6:30 p.m.

I did the clean cycle thing per CJ's suggestion and reseasoned.  Pan works great now.  Holy E36 M3 its awesome for pancakes.

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
1/14/19 1:14 p.m.

I've got a $100 gift certificate to Williams Sonoma, and I'm constantly wondering what the heck to use it for. 

My daily use Ikea Wok is starting to flake its Teflon, so I'm seriously considering a Steel Wok. I love making Asian food. 

I've got two stainless steel pans that stick terribly, so I'm thinking about ditching those for a single cast iron Lodge. 

In reality, I use maybe 3 pots/pans in a month, so why I have 10 different pieces is beyond me. My knives, despite being simple, work just fine. My new toy is an air-fryer, so maybe an ultra-thin slicing disc for my Cuisanart food processor would be handy...

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/30/21 1:46 p.m.

Just bumping this up since we're looking for a new 10-inch skillet. Not sure we want the weight of cast-iron for this one.  What's the Miata answer for this one? 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/30/21 7:45 p.m.

Carbon steel?  Thoughts?  They seem to have most of the benefits of cast iron without the weight

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/31/21 6:16 a.m.

I'm an all-clad guy. I was once a decently paid chef so I am picky.

My parents found themselves flush with money after the last kiddo got done with college and bought all 4 of us a badass set of all-clad for christmas a few years back. Ever since if I buy a new pan it's all-clad. I am sold and love them.

Now if you want to talk knives I am in as well. Let's just say my Henkels are in a leather case for traveling. Shun's are in the kitchen and are works of art.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pLnICHivQsgjNA2T4ruVldxsI3aX2dcCMmTKWzzFT2H5WtSYlp3PgXm69BWFC8UC