1 2
P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/26/22 4:19 p.m.

This seems too important than for me to want to just call for the place with the lowest price based on Google results. I am willing to travel for a recommended place. Any suggestions in Michigan? Grand Rapids, Lansing, somewhere around those areas?

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
8/26/22 4:31 p.m.

I have no MI recommendations but I had a "no needle, no scalpel" procedure done and I was amazed at how quick, easy, and low pain the procedure and recovery were.  Would strongly recommend that procedure.  

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/26/22 8:47 p.m.

In reply to Sonic :

Is that some sort of pill thing? How would they do it otherwise? I want my plumbing permanently detoured. 
palm beach county recs requested as well. Happily married for 18 years with 2 great kids. It's time. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
8/26/22 9:05 p.m.

I'm curious on that procedure as well Sonic.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
8/26/22 9:07 p.m.

No needle, no scalpel:

Floatingdoc can probably hook you up. cheeky

P3PPY
8/26/22 9:25 p.m.
ShawnG said:

No needle, no scalpel:

Floatingdoc can probably hook you up. cheeky

HA!

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/26/22 9:43 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

Oh man. I've had to do that! 

Johnboyjjb
Johnboyjjb HalfDork
8/26/22 9:52 p.m.

My only recommendation is to do it before a large sporting weekend. Divisional weekend for the NFL ensured 14 hours of football over two days on the sofa.
Stitch some events together. Two nights of NASCAR and some stadium super truck or Australian V8s would also be a great distraction.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/26/22 10:16 p.m.

Richard I. Tapper

Yes, Dick Eye Tapper, long standing urologist in Toledo, OH 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
8/26/22 10:55 p.m.

Some GPs will do it.  One of my coworkers had a vasectomy done by my urologist and it cost him $$$.   

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
8/27/22 2:59 a.m.

"No needle" just means using topical rather than injected anesthetic, and "no scalpel" ironically means they puncture (like a needle) rather than cut their way in.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/27/22 7:29 a.m.

It's done in the same place no matter the State.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/27/22 8:06 a.m.

If you want to do it somewhere warm like Southern California,  Dr Yang did mine back when I was 27 years old. Flawless procedure and it lasted maybe 15 mins. 

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
8/27/22 8:08 a.m.
Driven5 said:

"No needle" just means using topical rather than injected anesthetic, and "no scalpel" ironically means they puncture (like a needle) rather than cut their way in.

What he said.  It was totally painless, lasted only a few minutes, and healed up very quickly. It was a good excuse to take a day off work, lie on the couch with the cat and play video games and read.   

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/27/22 9:40 a.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

I recognize that.  That is a scary tool.  Inlaws used to have goats.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/27/22 10:18 a.m.

I got snipped 20-ish years ago. I barely remember it. Compared to some of the other medical stuff I've had done to me, it was extremely minor.

I'd just ask your PCP to recommend someone and go with them.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
8/27/22 10:35 a.m.

Let's not forget that this is GRM, where it's hip to DIY!

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fodditymall.com%2Fincludes%2Fcontent%2Fupload%2Fthis-diy-vasectomy-kit-includes-everything-you-need-for-an-at-home-surgery-3329.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
8/27/22 5:19 p.m.

Just had one earlier this year. A lot of people seem to overthink. I can't comment to costs (my insurance is good), but in regards to the rest.

I went to the urologist in the same system as my GP.  Went for the consult, he checked things out and I could have done it a few days later, but life...   Home prep was shaving down there and popping a Valium an hour before (makes you hang low to make life easier for them). I'd rate the initial Novocaine shots right there with what you experience at the dentist, maybe a little less painful. (Not as much leveraging around, softer tissue to take the Novocaine). You barely feel the scalpel and the work has a phantom tug or ache or two. 

In short the procedure itself was less hateful than having a filling at the dentist. 

Recovery, well, our help fell through so I was active helping with our 4yo (wife busy with 1yo) and moving more than I should have. If you have freedom to just sit on the couch or lay in bed for a couple of days your recovery will be easy peasy. I wound up with some swelling and aching that was a direct result of walking around too much chasing my son. Right as rain in two weeks though. Only painkillers were otc ibprufen through the whole thing.

Don't overthink it, it's not as bad as you are fearing.

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/27/22 8:25 p.m.

You Flop 'em We Chop 'em...I think they're on 8 Mile

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
8/28/22 11:53 a.m.

I had my local family doc do mine 17 years ago...that being said I have a 10yo.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
8/28/22 12:27 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Let's not forget that this is GRM, where it's hip to DIY!

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fodditymall.com%2Fincludes%2Fcontent%2Fupload%2Fthis-diy-vasectomy-kit-includes-everything-you-need-for-an-at-home-surgery-3329.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

I knew a urologist who did his own.  Dude was a car guy too, had a Factory 5 Cobra and an SL550.  Said he did it because he hated the idea of getting tied down with kids.

RustBeltSherpa
RustBeltSherpa Reader
8/28/22 5:51 p.m.

In reply to P3PPY :

All good advice from the above posters. I don't have anything to add except make sure to start on antibiotics a day or two BEFORE the procedure. Your PCP or urologist should send in the script. You DON'T need an infection down there on top of everything else you need to deal with.

P3PPY
8/28/22 6:35 p.m.
Grtechguy said:

I had my local family doc do mine 17 years ago...that being said I have a 10yo.

Well that is a resounding endorsement. I could use a good payout from a doc's insurance. We wouldn't mind it so much then. GR isn't really too far for me...

Folgers
Folgers Reader
8/28/22 7:37 p.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/28/22 9:32 p.m.
Folgers said:

How many women end up getting hysterectomies? 

I seems to me that after women are done producing children, an awful lot get the procedure done.

Hysterectomies are far more invasive (assuming not done during c-section).

Women already bear the brunt of pregnancy. I don't go around telling guys to man the berkeley up but in this case it's justified.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aEumH1WIP0ecYnxb9Kaz0N1hcFnXODaL9Q05ITDSloydbfBx2T3D1snATwewzKEJ