1 2
pheller
pheller UltimaDork
8/29/22 12:08 a.m.

I know there is some link between vasectomy and prostate cancer but does the method of surgery impact it that?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/29/22 12:29 a.m.
pheller said:

I know there is some link between vasectomy and prostate cancer but does the method of surgery impact it that?

There is no link. "They" thought there was but studies have not held that hypothesis up. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/29/22 11:40 a.m.

But there is a link between lack of use and cancer. 

https://www.menshealth.com/uk/health/sexual-health/a37167845/men-should-ejaculate-at-least-21-times-a-month-to-slash-their-prostate-cancer-risk/

so just tell your wife that your p*rnhub habit is cheap insurance on cancer for later. 

My vac doc gave me a Swiss Army knife with "I got snipped" engraved on the side.  It's a terrible knife. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/29/22 11:58 a.m.
Folgers said:

How many women end up getting hysterectomies? 

I seems to me that after women are done producing children, an awful lot get the procedure done.

I’m not a fan of unnecessary cutting of the human body either way. Small tangent, but it may be worth the conversation before going under the knife.

Uhhhh, NO.

Women who are done being pregnant typically get a fallopian tubal ligation (having her "tubes tied").  That's the female equivalent of the vasectomy, and even that is far more invasive than a vasectomy.  A hysterectomy is major surgery and is not done for contraceptive purposes.  It is done due to fibroid tumors, excessive menstruation, cervical cancer (or prevention thereof), or other serious medical reasons.

A vasectomy is a complete non-event compared to any of the equivalent female options.  There is absolutely no way I would ask my partner to undergo that just so I didn't have to get a simple, minimally invasive, 1-hour or less outpatient procedure.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/29/22 12:45 p.m.
Duke said:
Folgers said:

I seems to me that after women are done producing children, an awful lot get the procedure done.

I’m not a fan of unnecessary cutting of the human body either way. Small tangent, but it may be worth the conversation before going under the knife.

Uhhhh, NO.

Women who are done being pregnant typically get a fallopian tubal ligation (having her "tubes tied").  That's the female equivalent of the vasectomy, and even that is far more invasive than a vasectomy.  A hysterectomy is major surgery and is not done for contraceptive purposes.  It is done due to fibroid tumors, excessive menstruation, cervical cancer (or prevention thereof), or other serious medical reasons.

A vasectomy is a complete non-event compared to any of the equivalent female options.  There is absolutely no way I would ask my partner to undergo that just so I didn't have to get a simple, minimally invasive, 1-hour or less outpatient procedure.

Way misguided post. Thanks for correcting, Duke.

My wife and I aren't sure if we're done having kids or not. Even if we are, we're hesitant to make a permanent choice, for either one of us, but that is because of our personal histories.  Obviously we're having the discussion of if we have another child, and a big discussion point is, should my wife get either a hysterectomy (and if so, what type?) or her tubes tied during the presumed C-Section. But she has medical reasons to consider a hysterectomy and a vaginal birth is unlikely. I compared it to replacing the water pump at the same time as the timing belt. She didn't like the comparison. If we have another child and it is going to be a C-section, we will have that conversation with her OBGYN. If we don't have another child, or it isn't a c-section, she'll still have the conversation with her OBGYN and endocrynologist about a hysterectomy. And depending on where we go from there, I may or may not go get snipped. But if my wife didn't have these circumstances - likely c-section, possible benefits to hysterectomy - then we'd just be discussing when I get snipped. 

Folgers
Folgers Reader
8/29/22 6:22 p.m.
mtn said:
Duke said:
Folgers said:

Uhhhh, NO.

Way misguided post. Thanks for correcting, Duke.

My wife and I aren't sure if we're done having kids or not. Even if we are, we're hesitant to make a permanent choice, for either one of us, but that is because of our personal histories.  Obviously we're having the discussion of if we have another child, and a big discussion point is, should my wife get either a hysterectomy (and if so, what type?) or her tubes tied during the presumed C-Section. But she has medical reasons to consider a hysterectomy and a vaginal birth is unlikely. I compared it to replacing the water pump at the same time as the timing belt. She didn't like the comparison. If we have another child and it is going to be a C-section, we will have that conversation with her OBGYN. If we don't have another child, or it isn't a c-section, she'll still have the conversation with her OBGYN and endocrynologist about a hysterectomy. And depending on where we go from there, I may or may not go get snipped. But if my wife didn't have these circumstances - likely c-section, possible benefits to hysterectomy - then we'd just be discussing when I get snipped. 

I feel like my meaning and tone were lost or misunderstood  in my post.

The conversation I am advocating for, is the same conversation mnt and his wife are having. So much so I wasn’t sure if he was defending what I said, or condemning what I said. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/29/22 7:20 p.m.

In reply to Folgers :

I think that you're missing the point Duke and I are both making though. 

The ONLY reason my wife and are having this conversation is that she has a possible medical need for a hysterectomy, and she will likely need to have a c-section. If she doesn't have a c-section, and she doesn't need a hysterectomy, I'll be getting snipped at some point. 

It really is like comparing replacing the water pump on a 1972 GM vs a Toureg V10 Diesel. Sure, same idea behind the procedure more or less, but the Toureg procedure involves removing the 500lb engine to do it. 

So if you're in a relationship and you want a permanent solution, you have those options. Which would you do?

Folgers
Folgers Reader
8/29/22 7:47 p.m.

Same thing you did. Talk about it with my wife,  weigh the medical implications, and talk to the doctors, before taking action.

All I’m trying to say is ask all the questions, and talk about it before having anyone cut in to your body or anyone’s body.

I really am lost as to how what I said was controversial. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/31/22 3:57 p.m.

In reply to Folgers :

Your message came across as if you were recommending that the OP check if his wife was willing to get major inpatient surgery so that he didn't have to get a minor outpatient procedure.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
90Kd9zbUvs6LZdH9XQR4RxUwB5LO4liLOZhbIVKpHGHgqcMOjICarL4mpy7p7web