1 2 3
gearheadmb
gearheadmb New Reader
1/7/15 8:27 a.m.

I watched "The Racing Scene" last night. If you haven't seen it, its a documentary about James Garners racing team in 1969. It was about an hour and a half, focusing on the racing without much unnecessary drama. I really enjoyed it, but I really dig vintage racing stuff from that era. Another classic that the wife hates is "Two lane blacktop". I still want a primer black 55 chevy because of this movie. What obscure car movies do you guys recommend? Bonus points for stuff that is available on Amazon Prime.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork
1/7/15 8:38 a.m.

Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry. American Graffiti. Highwaymen. The Gumball Rally. The Italian Job (old one). Roadhouse 66. Rush. Drive. The Driver. Death Race 2000. Senna. TT3D Closer to the Edge (motorcycles). On Any Sunday (motorcycles). Death Proof. Vanishing Point. Gone in 60 Seconds (old one). Le Mans. Grand Prix.

Gary
Gary HalfDork
1/7/15 8:38 a.m.

To gearhead: I've not seen The Racing Scene, but I was at Lime Rock for a race in 1969, I think it was an F5000 pro race, and Jim Garner and crew were there filming for the movie. I did get a chance to see him as he was walking out of the pit area into the paddock. Wow, that was almost 35 years ago. I don't even remember who won the race that day, but probably Sam Posey. That was his home track.

Thanks for reminding. I'll have to watch the movie.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
1/7/15 8:40 a.m.

I watched American Graffiti last night. It wasn't as good as my distorted memory of it thought it was.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus HalfDork
1/7/15 8:42 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: I watched American Graffiti last night. It wasn't as good as my distorted memory of it thought it was.

I hate to say it, but that's kind of how I was with bullitt, I remember it being a lot more exciting

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
1/7/15 8:43 a.m.

Bullitt, Eat My Dust, California Kid, Corvette Summer, Duel,,,Not saying you'll like them, but they are out there.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb New Reader
1/7/15 8:46 a.m.

Bullitt was only worth watching for the car chase with the charger imo.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork
1/7/15 8:46 a.m.

I forgot about Duel, that's a great one.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
1/7/15 8:47 a.m.

Bullitt is eminently forgettable except for any scene with the Mustang in it. And I even like Steve McQueen as an actor.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
1/7/15 8:48 a.m.

Mad Max, duh

Gary
Gary HalfDork
1/7/15 8:48 a.m.

In response to bravenrace and nepa03focus, I think that's true of many if not most movies from the 60s and 70s. Movie production, acting, screenplay, etc. have come a long way in the past 40 years or so. Those older movies seem almost quaint now. As much as I liked McQueen in the day, looking back on the body of his work I realize that times have definitely changed.

Having said that, I still like re-watching Grand Prix and LeMans every couple years or so. Great "vintage" racing scenes. And it brings back memories of how blown away I was when I saw them the first time in-theater.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/7/15 8:56 a.m.

The new Need for Speed movie - seriously. Acting may not be so great but it's a good car movie.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
1/7/15 9:02 a.m.

Gone in 60 Seconds (1974)

The Junkman (1982) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0SrTEeSqM0

The Worlds Fastest Indian

Gran Prix

Bullitt

Anything Mad Max

Anything Death Race (new AND OLD!)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZLYEbkykCI

LeMans

Rush

Senna

Can-Am - A speed Odyssey http://www.canamfilm.com/ (I have it, I put it in for background a lot! Highly Recommend!)

Cannonball Run I & II (yeah yeah, Burt Reynolds)

Gumball Rally https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQcmR4RlEBk (Supreme recommendation)

I'm sure there is more I am not thinking of...

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
1/7/15 9:07 a.m.

In reply to Apexcarver:

Like Smokey and the Bandit? Or Dukes of Hazzard (Ugh!)?

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
1/7/15 9:08 a.m.

The Junk Man (full movie on the youtubes!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rX472Z38tQ

Same director/guy as Gone in 60, bad acting, utterly awesome car chase, holds the Guinness World Record for wrecking over 250 cars, trucks, motorcycles and planes in one movie

The chase is NUTS! (Even involves the Goodyear Blimp!)

gearheadmb
gearheadmb New Reader
1/7/15 9:13 a.m.

In reply to Apexcarver:

"The Worlds Fastest Indian" is fantastic! Seriously, anyone who hasn't seen this should, even non-car people.

I've never seen The Junk Man, but its definitely going on my list. It looks like a hoot.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/7/15 9:21 a.m.

If you can get a hold of this, it's pretty cool from a documentary standpoint. The copy I have right now though is a European release only though.

Another couple of documentaries that have been mentioned here before are "Weekend of a Champion," with Jackie Stewart and "Love the Beast". Great vintage F1 footage in the first, and some excellent vintage stage rally in the latter.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
1/7/15 9:30 a.m.
Gary wrote: I've not seen The Racing Scene, but I was at Lime Rock for a race in 1969, ... Wow, that was almost 35 years ago.

[cough]45[/cough]

Not really a movie, but I enjoyed Racing the Rock, about Targa Newfoundland. It has nothing to do with the fact that the back of my head is briefly visible in one scene.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/7/15 10:43 a.m.

You need to see Wraith.

Dust to Glory.

Corvette Summer.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/7/15 10:58 a.m.
slantvaliant wrote:
Gary wrote: I've not seen The Racing Scene, but I was at Lime Rock for a race in 1969, ... Wow, that was almost 35 years ago.
[cough]45[/cough] Not really a movie, but I enjoyed Racing the Rock, about Targa Newfoundland. It has nothing to do with the fact that the back of my head is briefly visible in one scene.

I even got mine signed. Good movie.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
1/7/15 10:59 a.m.

Ronin.

It's by John Frankenheimer, so you know it's going to be good. And if you listen really closely in an early scene, you can hear Skipp Sudduth explaining to Natascha McElhone that he's going to need a nitrous system in the S8 he's asking for.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
1/7/15 10:59 a.m.

For the documentary side, toss in Truth in 24 and 50 Years Sideways

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
1/7/15 11:02 a.m.

The Blues Brothers

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
1/7/15 11:04 a.m.

McQ

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
1/7/15 11:04 a.m.
Stealthtercel wrote: Ronin. It's by John Frankenheimer, so you know it's going to be good. And if you listen really closely in an early scene, you can hear Skipp Sudduth explaining to Natascha McElhone that he's going to need a nitrous system in the S8 he's asking for.

One of the best car chases ever.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B8fXMkoEV7W5aBjedQm79tnbrEY1z75KiJJbgj1pBaVZMWQnZ7LOVgbI4QpovhCT