1 2
Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock UltimaDork
11/30/16 11:31 a.m.

What should I be listening to.

I'm currently subscribed to the smoking tire, Jim Rome's daily jungle and Mike Row.

What else should I be listening to?

lrrs
lrrs Reader
11/30/16 1:16 p.m.

Funny you should ask.... I just came here to post about a podcast, so instead of adding a new thread, I will leave it here.

I just listed to the latest CarCast with Adam Carolla, its been a little stale lately, but still good, and a bad episode is still better than a lot of the stuff out there.

That said, the latest release, 11/25/16 with Christina Neilsen was better than usual. I like her style and think that if she quit racing she could do stand-up about racing (last lap photo op tactics). Adam seemed to step up his game too (how he scared his kids in a manual trans car), guess the competition got to him.

Hopefully we hear from her again on the show as I think she was one of the best guests he has had on.

Other guests had on in the past that should return, Dax Shepard, Chris Tidus, there have been others, but these are the ones that left long lasting impressions and come to mind when listeng to the pod cast. I seem to enjoy the episode more when the guest does not work for a vendor or manufacture, and they are just a car person.

Back to your subject: I also listen to Car Talk, not so often any more as they are best of episodes since they retired a couple years ago and Tom passed away, been listening to these guys all the way back to the late 80s on the radio, still good for a chuckle while being clean enough to be broadcast on NPR. If you have not been a long time listener or have not heard them before, its worth a listen, and you can do it with your wife/girlfriend/kids in the car and not have to worry about anyone getting offended.

The last one, is Under the Hood, basic call in car repair show, not a lot to learn from listening and not particularly entertaining, but its something to listen to on my way to and from work and not have to hear the same 5 songs on the radio repeated over and over. The adds are starting to get to me, and they seem to be tying a lot of the calls to their advertisers, to the point that I some times wonder if it is the advertiser calling in so their product can get a plug.

Steve

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
11/30/16 1:20 p.m.

NPR Fresh Air isn't too bad for general topics.

wae
wae Dork
11/30/16 1:22 p.m.

I find Lehto's Law to be somewhat entertaining. Except for how much he laughs at things that he says that aren't funny.

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is fascinating.

Dan Carlin's Common Sense is interesting to me. I don't always agree with him, but it is thought-provoking.

I used to really like Stuff you Missed in History Class, but I've kind of chilled on it lately.

If you like F1, the Formula One Blog podcast is interesting.

Freakanomics Podcast is interesting usually.

It is very dry if you're not really in to it (and, actually, even if you are), but The History Of English podcast is really fascinating. But I think that's one of those things that people that like those things would like if you know what I mean.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
11/30/16 1:31 p.m.

Aside from the car ones already mentioned:

• Serial: This American Life - Not car related, but I really loved the first season
  • Never Not Funny - also not car related, but lives up to its name
  • How did this get made - movie geek stuff, really funny
  • The Nerdist - geek topics: Science, physics, tech - by whats his name that does Talking Dead on AMC. A recent episode with Niel Degrasse Tyson was pretty cool to listen to
lrrs
lrrs Reader
11/30/16 1:46 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: Aside from the car ones already mentioned: + Serial: This American Life - Not car related, but I really loved the first season

I have caught this on npr a couple time's. Toxie, the toxic asset was great episode on the housing burst and some of the corupt practices that got us there.

Now that you mentioned it, I will be adding it to my list.

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UltraDork
11/30/16 1:49 p.m.

I'm sure this is not the first time I've posted about podcasts, but I'll be darned if I can't find it now. My current rotation:

The Smoking Tire, Hooniverse (not the Jeff solo ones), Driving while Awesome, Cammed and Tubbed (GRM forum alum hosts), Slipangle (challenge vet Adam Jabbay cohosts), Clutchkick, TenTenths

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
11/30/16 5:33 p.m.

CBC radio Under the influence. It a half hour show about the history of advertising and marketing. I really enjoy it.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor HalfDork
11/30/16 5:42 p.m.

Radiolab - covers a variety of subjects, really good production value, usually pretty interesting though I sometimes wish they went into more technical depth.

99% Invisible - started out as a show about design in general, but especially about industrial design and the built environment, so stuff you wouldn't think of as being "designed", per se. It's more general now but still pretty good.

Freakonomics is a classic.

WTF with Marc Maron - just a dude interviewing interesting people in his garage. He's built a huge following on being conversational and funny and interesting and very honest about himself and the people he's interviewing. Started out primarily interviewing comedians, but he's had musicians, actors, and all manner of celebrities on there now.

Wait Wait Don't Tell Me for news in the form of 10 second snippets with a bunch of lame jokes interspersed.

I don't listen to anything car-specific but I'm definitely interested in adding new podcasts to the rotation, since On Point with Tom Ashbrook is on during both my commutes and he just grates on me for some reason.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
11/30/16 5:45 p.m.

All right. Seems like good suggestions. I will definitely be checking them out.

I have listened to the American life once and liked it. I will likely add that one.

I'm not exclusively looking for car related content.

I'm running out of fresh content on the few that I have subscribed to and need to add a few more so I can keep some fresh content rolling in.

Thanks all.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/30/16 6:00 p.m.

Unpopular Opinion is pretty funny. The host wrote for Cracked until a couple months ago. You probably don't want to listen to it with children in the car.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
11/30/16 6:44 p.m.

Here you go:

https://gimletmedia.com

Awesome podcasts from an awesome company. I particularly like Startup, Reply All, and Science Vs.

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
11/30/16 7:04 p.m.

Not car stuff but a good listen, hardcore history by dan carlin. Also his common sense one is decent too.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
11/30/16 7:25 p.m.

Startalk, occasional Fatman on Batman

Nick (Bo) Comstock
12/1/16 1:36 p.m.

Been listening to Dan Carlin's hardcore history "prophets of doom" today. Fascinating stuff. Excellent suggestion.

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UltraDork
12/1/16 1:59 p.m.

My current subscription list-

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History

Waking Up with Sam Harris

Freakonomics Radio

This American Life

Radiolab

Stuff You Should Know

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
12/1/16 11:34 p.m.

Like others have mentioned, Dan Carlin's show is a good listen, and I really enjoy The Smoking Time.

My other favorite is The Joe Rogan Experience. The shows run the full gambit from a couple comedians rambling on about nothing (funny listening), to guests like Dan Carlin, historians scientists, health professionals, etc. than can make you think hard about everything you think you know..

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
12/31/16 9:47 p.m.

I just downloaded a bunch of WTF and Radiolab episodes for vacation next week. I listen to Fresh Air sometimes but it can start to get boring and tough to listen to.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
12/31/16 10:07 p.m.

I tried the Joe Rogan experience and just couldn't get into it. Too much drug conversation for my liking.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor HalfDork
12/31/16 10:13 p.m.

Just had a 6 hour drive home and spent it listening to invisibilia (awesome) and how did this get made (hilarious)

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Dork
1/1/17 2:54 a.m.

Not car related but well worth the listen is Chris Prior, if you like good music.

Best two hours form down under not from Aussi

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Dork
1/1/17 2:56 a.m.

And you can download the files.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
1/1/17 9:44 a.m.

Duncan trussel family hour. If you dont like the joe rogan experience, you'll hate this :)

Try the one with rogan, it was awesome.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
1/1/17 3:49 p.m.

I can't get into listening to people talk about cars, I like to read or watch (I need pics).

I did find this to be interesting Myths and Legend s by Jason Weise. Not something that I would normally tune into to, but the guy makes stories about King Aurthor or Aladdin pretty entertaining

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
1/1/17 5:15 p.m.

I'll third Radiolab. Most episodes are can't miss.

Love and Radio is sporadic but very interesting and engaging.

WTF can be boring or amazing. Totally depends on the interview. Check out the one with Louis CK especially.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Oc8ZNlktPzEF1BsRGWH1uUsJM5TsXpsVo3IpvTKCEUxKAkukjR3ILo9CDezcaCg7