BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/21/12 7:55 p.m.

Nothing screams early nineties like sliding wardrobe doors with full length mirrors on them. The wife hates the ones in our new used house and a quick look at LowesDepot's websites turned up the hardware but no actual doors.

Any suggestions where we can go look for replacement doors before I hang up a Harbor Fright tarp as a replacement for existing doors?

BoxheadTim
10/21/12 8:34 p.m.

Thanks a lot, it helps to know what I'm supposed to search for .

Max_Archer
Max_Archer Reader
10/21/12 8:42 p.m.

I don't know if they've got ones that'll be a direct drop-in but Ikea has tons of wardrobe door options too, and a lot of them are nice.

fasted58
fasted58 UltraDork
10/21/12 9:00 p.m.

I likes the tarp idea

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/21/12 9:47 p.m.

Closet, not wardrobe.

Hood, not bonnet.

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
10/22/12 1:51 a.m.

How about curtain + tension rod? Installation leaves plenty of time for more important things, like trolling the GRM forums.

Max_Archer
Max_Archer Reader
10/22/12 4:35 a.m.
Datsun1500 wrote:
Max_Archer wrote: I don't know if they've got ones that'll be a direct drop-in but Ikea has tons of wardrobe door options too, and a lot of them are nice.
He means sliding closet doors, not the furniture wardrobe.

They have the kind that go on built-in closets as well, unless I'm remembering wrong.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltraDork
10/22/12 6:56 a.m.

The best solution would be to hang some bead curtains. Much classier than a tarp, and it has that 60's hippie chic, man!

failboat
failboat SuperDork
10/22/12 7:12 a.m.

what a topical thread. Our 2 guest bedrooms have these and the wife hates them.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltraDork
10/22/12 7:25 a.m.

I replaced some of mine with unfinished 6 panel oak doors from Menard's Store. After finishing them I spent 1/2 a day hanging a pair of them. You have to get all the gaps even. Good luck with that task.

Jake
Jake HalfDork
10/22/12 11:48 a.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy: You can hang standard doors on the hardware kit you pick up at the home center. I put a set of these on a closet I built out in the corner of our family room last year. Just plain ol flat hollow-core doors. Paint them white and that’s it. Directions are in the box with the hardware.

I also put the bifolds in front of the laundry closet, and agree- getting the gaps right? Pff. Good luck.

motomoron
motomoron Dork
10/22/12 1:49 p.m.

If you've got an Ikea locally, the scratch and dent area often has stuff.

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
10/22/12 2:35 p.m.

Ikea has some cool ones. I'm partial to these:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40141362/

Which, while they are typically mounted on a cabinet style wardrobe, they can be used as closet doors if you get the right size. They have a few sizes.

BoxheadTim
10/22/12 2:45 p.m.

We have an Ikea locally (for local values of "locally", ie, less than 200 miles away) so that might not be such a bad idea. I'll have to measure the current doors first to see if they have anything that would fit.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
10/22/12 7:43 p.m.
Nothing screams early nineties like sliding wardrobe doors with full length mirrors on them.

Nineties? More like sixties or seventies. My parents house has those, was built in 1962. Bi-fold doors are how it's done now. My house, built 1987 has that in the one bedroom that doesn't have a walk-in closet. takes up the whole wall and has 2 sets of bi-fold doors with a divider brace between each set. Lowe's, HD, anyplace that sell doors has them. Lots of selection to choose from. Can even get with mirrors on them.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
1/5/17 7:06 a.m.

Canoe doors?

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/5/17 7:52 a.m.

Damn, saw the thread title and thought "How timely!" Currently in the process of redoing one of our spare bedrooms, including the closet which is getting built in storage and, most likely, new doors. Nope, thread is 4+ years old.

Zombie canoe strikes again!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/5/17 8:21 a.m.

It's weird when these Zombies come back and I see stuff I wrote 5 years ago that I have no recollection whatsoever of ever having said in the first place.

Getting old is great. Every day is a new and uniques experience, even if it is identical to the day before!

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
1/5/17 8:49 a.m.

While the zombie canoe is still bobbing gently by the dock, may I please take a quick moment to completely disagree with its statement that "paying attention to trends is a good thing to help your mood." If we have learned one thing from 2016 and Facebook and "reality" television and [insert a lot more here], it is surely that paying attention to trends is, in fact, the one guaranteed sure-fire way to completely ruin your mood. For days.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Qneh2V8f1fbvGBlTlKeNJ3umqWLqyAawBIPXmd1IfLnrCXEBDzw4qjXHZgD1IFbv