1 2 3 4
dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
4/3/18 9:33 a.m.

Is it a mouse or a rat? There is a big difference in what works. Sounds like a rat if they're stealing whole avocados!!

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/3/18 9:39 a.m.

I bet its one of those millennial rats.  First it steals the avocado, then it steals bread, next thing you know its living in your basement eating avocado toast.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
4/3/18 9:51 a.m.

The bucket traps work well on rats or mice. A 22LR revolver loaded with the little shot shells or CB caps works well on rats when you have one of those confrontations.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/3/18 9:58 a.m.

Ether does a pretty good job of putting things to sleep. A nice long shot of starting fluid under the cabinet should put it under long enough to move the cabinet and step on it. 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
4/3/18 10:19 a.m.
Toyman01 said:

Ether does a pretty good job of putting things to sleep. A nice long shot of starting fluid under the cabinet should put it under long enough to move the cabinet and step on it. 

With the added benefit that the kitchen will smell of ether for the next month.  Or so Mrs. VCH will claim.  

Discharge of firearms or spray automotive chemicals inside the house is probably not going to happen.  It's bad enough when I lubricate the door hinges and have to listen to how _that_ smells.  

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/3/18 11:29 a.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

You might mention that it smells better than mouse crap.

Do you have shielding gas on your welder? Dose it with that. It doesn't smell. Anything that will displace the O2 under the cabinet should render it unconscious. Then smack it with a shovel. 

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/3/18 11:30 a.m.

Why have you not drilled a hole on the cover board yet and poke a stick or something around to get it stuck to one of the glue traps? That or put the shop vac up to the hole.

Edit: how do you know it isn't already partially stuck to one of the traps and pulling it around with itself? If it's strong enough to steal avocados, it's strong enough for that.

smokindav
smokindav Reader
4/3/18 11:58 a.m.

Look, we’ve given this guy all the info he could possibly need in this thread - it’s rodents not brain surgery - it’s up to him to figure out what works from here.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
4/3/18 12:26 p.m.

I had bold mice once in a new construction house.  From my spot laying on the floor watching tv I saw little dude come out from the gap under the dishwasher and trot around the perimeter of the kitchen and return.  I set a mousetrap right there and fetched my pellet gun.  His next foray he paused to sniff the peanut butter on the snaptrap.  I sighted him in.....bang!  I missed the mouse but set off the trap and caught his leg.  At that moment I discovered that A: mice can scream and B: while he could fit back under the DW the trap couldn't so he was stuck.  Pulled him out by a hind leg and put him out of his misery.

Weirdly that house was the newest and tightest I've ever lived in and had more mice than all others combined.

volvoclearinghouse
4/3/18 12:58 p.m.
smokindav said:

Look, we’ve given this guy all the info he could possibly need in this thread - it’s rodents not brain surgery - it’s up to him to figure out what works from here.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
4/3/18 1:29 p.m.

I had a brain surgeon once tell me (when I was a student, before I was in the program as a resident) "It's not rocket science."  I asked:  "Is it brain surgery?"

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
4/3/18 4:17 p.m.

Did you try the blue cheese yet?

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled New Reader
4/3/18 5:29 p.m.

I dumped 3 from the garage bucket yesterday from over the weekend.  This guy was there to greet me when I got home.  Tis the season round here.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
4/3/18 7:30 p.m.

I have never been able to get a bucket trap to work...

volvoclearinghouse
4/3/18 9:23 p.m.

As of tonight, there is no longer a mouse living underneath my kitchen cabinet.

BECAUSE IT'S DEAD!

Ding, dong!  Ring the bells, raise the flag, sing a chorus!  The stupid, avocado-eatin', wife's-shoes-chewin', wall-scamperin', vacuum-cleaner-hose-bitin', clothes-burrowin', scare-the-living-E36 M3-outta-me-when-it-jumped-in-my-berkeleying-face, no good worthless, God-forsaken, smelly, disease-ridden, male-genetalia-sucking, all-around-no-good rodent from Hell is NO MORE.

After the family went to bed, I grabbed the bucket of rodent poison blocks from the back seat of my car, my cordless drill, my shop light, and moved the cabinet away from the wall.  No sounds of scurrying.  Carefully, I loosened the 2 x 4 and shone the light in the crack.  I saw what appeared to be a part of a rat's body sitting there, immobile, on a glue trap.  Using a paint stick, I reached through the crack and prodded it.  Stiff.  

Sighs of Relief.

The little sucker turned out to be stuck to 2 of the glue traps I'd shoved in there, and the 3rd glue trap under the cabinet was all chewed up.  He put up one helluva fight.  The wooden pieces the cabinet rested on were variously chewed, but all around- not in one place.  I vacuumed out all the debris, tossed the carcass and the traps in the trash, and shoved the cabinet back in place.  Then I tossed about a dozen poison blocks underneath various appliances (where the dog and little VCH's can't get to them) and called it good.  

As much as I wanted to post pictures to prove of the kill, decorum got the better of me.  

Thanks, all, for the advice, thoughts, anecdotes, and good-natured ribbing.  smiley  If my bucket trap ever catches anything, I'll be sure to let y'all know.

Time for a glass of wine, some chocolate, and BED.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lyfNyPJpfWHeaeGQaZ8BVLNv0NsRVgO8fn0H1nhwS5uFV54qpXI0H2C6pDSzr2Hw