1 ... 4 5 6
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/16/22 9:04 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

I so happy she gets a new lease at sanity in these generally insane times!  

School here starts next week, so as you are familiar, this is my teacher/wife's weeks of high anxiety!  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/16/22 9:37 a.m.

Don't get me wrong, she's still putting in the hours.She worked 3 hours last night working on scheduling. But she's so much more relaxed and the amount of support she's getting is phenomenal.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
8/16/22 10:28 a.m.

Awesome to hear!

I love hearing positive stories in the school system (I excel at finding the cloud in every silver lining).

10/6/22 10:46 a.m.

Be the "top dog" or some kid is going to be the "top dog."  Do so in kindness and be unwavering in doing so.

Don't punish the class for the behaviour of a few.  Deal with the few.

Detentions punish _you_.

Some kids will push back only because you are a teacher.

Some kids will push back because you are setting expectations and standards. You might be the only stability and expectation in their world.

Kids respond very well to structure and routine.

Always have something up your sleeve to focus the kids, especially if they get through your assignment too soon.  If you don't direct their energy for them, THEY will direct it elsewhere.

Position yourself so you are always facing the room.

Have some sort of "Shtick."  I have a few that make me be the "character" that the kids enjoy.  Eccentric is good.

Be passionate about what you are teaching.  It doesn't matter what it is (Math, Science, Shop, Remedial Sex Ed, Foods, Sewing....), be PASSIONATE about it, even if you have to fake it.  Kids are drawn in to share in your passion.  If you hate it, kids will be drawn in to share your hate.

I greet every kid at the door at the start of every class, with a question of some sort.  Sometimes it's "What is your favourite movie?" or something. Yesterday's was "Name a desert that starts with the letter....." (and work my way through the alphabet. Kid answers, kid gets in).  This does a couple things: 1) It is a personal one-on-one interaction with each and every kid, even the quiet ones 2) It's entertaining and captivating for the kids (they look forward to it every day, even kids going to other classes), and 3) It quietly and respectfully asserts your authority in the classroom, that they have to meet your expectations in this room, and they don't even come in without meeting them. The first three weeks are "Pen, Paper, Binder, show me show me show me" because you have to be prepared in life, or at least resourceful if you aren't.

Only 10% of kids who go to University finish a degree.  Half drop out after the first year. If you have a degree (here in Canada you have two to teach highschool - you might be the same), you are in that 10% group. Don't teach to who you are, teach to the 90% who are not going to go to University. Those 10% don't really need you to succeed, they can likely get there without you - push them, but don't lose the 90 for the sake of the 10.

Your classes should have a healthy dose of "what you need to know about heading into the real world."  A lot of that is counter to what the schools push.  You have to be willing to be a little "counter."

I hated highschool as a kid. There are a surprising number of kids who also hate highschool.  That's ok, they will turn out fine. Have "life lessons" tucked in there that they might not be getting at home. Again - the better goal is to be functional in society, not make it to University.

Don't drink the Koolaid pushed from above.

Don't let the politics destroy you.

Oh geez, this is turning into a rant....

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
10/6/22 11:26 a.m.
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) said:

Have some sort of "Shtick."  I have a few that make me be the "character" that the kids enjoy.  Eccentric is good.

Be passionate about what you are teaching.  It doesn't matter what it is (Math, Science, Shop, Remedial Sex Ed, Foods, Sewing....), be PASSIONATE about it, even if you have to fake it.  Kids are drawn in to share in your passion.  If you hate it, kids will be drawn in to share your hate.

The most memorable teacher I had was 8th grade Earth science. The guy taught from his own handwritten textbook that covered The Big Bang and evolution, and lectured pacing about with a yardstick (used to be a toy katana) and would swat at the projector screen pull cord with it.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
10/6/22 11:35 a.m.

I had a teacher in middleschool who talked to fruit.

Literally. 

Sat at his desk "hello Mr. Orange" with an orange in his hand.  It wasnt with an air of being a joke.

DONT BE THAT TEACHER.  (my mother was a teacher in the same school system, even the other teachers believed he was nuts.)

10/6/22 7:37 p.m.

Agreed.

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/7/22 5:32 a.m.

Be the "top dog" or some kid is going to be the "top dog."  Do so in kindness and be unwavering in doing so.

Don't punish the class for the behaviour of a few.  Deal with the few.

Detentions punish _you_.

Some kids will push back only because you are a teacher.

Some kids will push back because you are setting expectations and standards. You might be the only stability and expectation in their world.

Kids respond very well to structure and routine.

Always have something up your sleeve to focus the kids, especially if they get through your assignment too soon.  If you don't direct their energy for them, THEY will direct it elsewhere.

Position yourself so you are always facing the room.

I greet every kid at the door at the start of every class, with a question of some sort.  Sometimes it's "What is your favourite movie?" or something. Yesterday's was "Name a desert that starts with the letter....." (and work my way through the alphabet. Kid answers, kid gets in).  This does a couple things: 1) It is a personal one-on-one interaction with each and every kid, even the quiet ones 2) It's entertaining and captivating for the kids (they look forward to it every day, even kids going to other classes), and 3) It quietly and respectfully asserts your authority in the classroom, that they have to meet your expectations in this room, and they don't even come in without meeting them. The first three weeks are "Pen, Paper, Binder, show me show me show me" because you have to be prepared in life, or at least resourceful if you aren't.

Only 10% of kids who go to University finish a degree.  Half drop out after the first year. If you have a degree (here in Canada you have two to teach highschool - you might be the same), you are in that 10% group. Don't teach to who you are, teach to the 90% who are not going to go to University. Those 10% don't really need you to succeed, they can likely get there without you - push them, but don't lose the 90 for the sake of the 10.

Your classes should have a healthy dose of "what you need to know about heading into the real world."  A lot of that is counter to what the schools push.  You have to be willing to be a little "counter."

I hated highschool as a kid. There are a surprising number of kids who also hate highschool.  That's ok, they will turn out fine. Have "life lessons" tucked in there that they might not be getting at home. Again - the better goal is to be functional in society, not make it to University.

Don't drink the Koolaid pushed from above.

Don't let the politics destroy you.

Oh geez, this is turning into a rant....

Fellow teacher here.  I would do everything in my power to have Skinny teach my kids, based on that post.  I can't think of a higher compliment.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/7/22 5:55 a.m.

In reply to ZOO (Forum Supporter) :

+more. His give a damn is far from broken. Impressed. 

And I missed this before. Happy for Mrs Bobzilla. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
10/8/22 4:46 p.m.

In reply to SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) :

I wish when I was teaching public school I had a mentor like you. 
   I learned as an instructor in the Navy the importance of getting and holding attention of people who's full time occupation was to be too cool for school.  
      Once you get the worst of them over to your side the class teaches itself and demands real honest effort from other classmates  that you just can't get.   
    The result is brilliance from the best and excellence from everyone else.  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
11/28/22 7:06 p.m.

In reply to Willissmiley :

I'm afraid that's overly simplistic.  Parents push back, sometimes very hard if they have enough clout and Jr. isn't getting the grades Mamma wants. 
    We had a bus driver badly beaten up because a bunch of Mothers ( yes,  Mothers) didn't want to be on time.   I personally have had my life threatened ( twice, different students).  On average once a month a complaint would be lodged against me. And with all the camera's on the buses I was never found at fault .  
 Parents, while some are wonderful, providing cookies, coffee cards, treats and  cash.  There are those who want special consideration, or simply expect special treatment.  
 They are the same to teachers. Even administration. Some of the things a lot of people question are there to protect them from aggressive parents 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/28/22 7:18 p.m.

My wife resigned from the before the bell/aftercare county program after six months. Various reasons, I'll just say that the children and parents weren't the problem.

She's now the costumer for Stetson University's theater department, and loving it.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/21/23 5:57 a.m.

I've noticed the intensity  school districts are seeking Bus drivers this year.  A 20% pay raise plus a sizable  signing bonus  is offered by most.  
       Over the summer a decent percentage of drivers were lured away by companies needing CDL licensed drivers. At rates near double what was earned. Last year. 
     A lot of schools now seem to have an awful lot of school aides. Plus programs where they can get a teaching license. 

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/21/23 10:15 a.m.

I'd take a class of 50 grade 10 boys over driving a school bus . . .

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/21/23 11:35 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Here instructional assistants are in great demand. Pay is crap, the work is challenging and they are tired of the politics involved. Large school districts are bleeding them out by the dozens. 

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
8/21/23 11:46 a.m.

I took a significant pay cut to start teaching about 20 years ago. I loved every minute of it. There was not a day that I didn't want to go to work. After 4 years I was out. I was taking on side jobs and working a lot of my days off just to make ends meet. Not to buy a cabin up north or a boat no, just to make the bills and feed my wife and (at the time) one child. 
When I hear pro athletes whine about pay and contract disputes I shake my head. There are a lot of teachers, fire fighters, and cops that would love to make 10% what these clowns make.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
8/21/23 1:01 p.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Here instructional assistants are in great demand. 

I read this as "instructional assassins" several times. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/21/23 1:52 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

That's just if I was working that job.

1 ... 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dGkd36X0IrYbIG39OFmUYwV6Gkta2mfiFe9zcaFYZI0mSgPEsVg9tAeOgpZNZuRa