1 2
KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
8/12/16 6:12 a.m.

https://youtu.be/-UyVgaFE8-s

Hmm, that didn't link properly from my phone. Upshot, Snickers commercials have exactly nailed your situation. Mtn is right, you need a better diet. Something more balanced and gradual for long term weight loss and health.

If a diet makes you unhappy you just aren't going to stick with it long term. Even worse, fat cells are smart. They learn to hang on to fat each time they go into "lean time" mode, so each successive diet gets harder to lose the weight.

The best diet is eating what you like, but less of it. If you burn 2000 calories per day (basil metabolic rate) you should take in 1800 per. A crash diet that takes you to 1000 will only send your metabolism into starvation mode and ultimately fail.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
8/12/16 6:44 a.m.

I was still eating 1700-1900 calories a day. Lots of proteins, bland veggies etc. from my Fitbit tracking previously I would burn 2100 a day not working out. I was eating 5 times a day.

I've done different stuff over the years as genetics have petty much screwed me. Entire family is extremely overweight (those still alive) and we have a pretty short life span because of it.

Just trying to get the most mileage out this tired body and all.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
8/12/16 6:47 a.m.
mtn wrote: There is no detoxing. That is bullE36 M3. You just get used to no carbs, but your brain still isn't happy. It is literally deprived of its fuel (glucose, which carbs are turned into). Bad diet. Seriously. Get a new diet that allows at least a small serving of carbs. Doesn't have to be much.

Truth. And I'll add that diets don't work. You need to change your eating behaviour permanently if you want it to work. Most diets are unsustainable, especially this one you're on, and losing that amount of weight in that period of time is unhealthy. You're trying to be healthy, no?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/12/16 7:34 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: I was still eating 1700-1900 calories a day. Lots of proteins, bland veggies etc. from my Fitbit tracking previously I would burn 2100 a day not working out. I was eating 5 times a day. I've done different stuff over the years as genetics have petty much screwed me. Entire family is extremely overweight (those still alive) and we have a pretty short life span because of it. Just trying to get the most mileage out this tired body and all.

Ok, take the same exact diet you had. Add in a cup of oatmeal with breakfast or a slice whole wheat bread. Have a serving of wild rice with lunch. Eat some beans with dinner. Have a banana for a snack. You need your carbs. What you're doing is like putting diesel fuel in a gasoline car--not a whole tank of diesel, but a few gallons. Yeah, it will combust and run? Yeah. Will it be happy? Nope.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
8/12/16 7:59 a.m.

We both had made adjustments. WEdon't eat the junk we used to. Go out once a week instead of 4 and 5 times. eating more veggies, less fats etc. And honestly I have been pretty consistent in the 230-240 range. This diet also meant I couldn't have that 2-3 beers a week (or a rum and coke-zero). Not a raging alkie by any means (takes me a month to get through a 12 pack) but I still like a nice cold beer after working in the yard, ya know?

I just can't get myself down to that 210 range where I should be and keep it there.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/12/16 8:24 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: We both had made adjustments. WEdon't eat the junk we used to. Go out once a week instead of 4 and 5 times. eating more veggies, less fats etc. And honestly I have been pretty consistent in the 230-240 range. This diet also meant I couldn't have that 2-3 beers a week (or a rum and coke-zero). Not a raging alkie by any means (takes me a month to get through a 12 pack) but I still like a nice cold beer after working in the yard, ya know? I just can't get myself down to that 210 range where I should be and keep it there.

Get a Fitbit and start tracking your steps. And other exercises. Also you might want to start doing some weight training if you aren't already. Excellent for fat loss.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
8/12/16 8:32 a.m.

Strong seconding for weight training. Muscle burns fat so getting stronger means that magical BMR increases.

To continue the car analogy, you want to get worse mileage not better. Be a Mustang, not a Prius.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder PowerDork
8/12/16 8:43 a.m.

To echo and add: You are losing weight too fast and need to strike a healthier balance.
Add in some exercise/active activities that you enjoy.

In my experience, trying to stick to a sub 2k calorie diet is a bit too low for a large guy. What worked for me was realizing that as a 200+ pounder, I needed more than my much lighter wife to just exist. So...let's say I moved from 2500 calories to 2300. And when I moved to start running / swimming more, I had to bring that back up because I was burning 1000 calories (or sometimes four times that amount) in a single run. More food...but not quite enough to offset what I'm burning.

TLDR: 1-2lbs per week is safe and sustainable in my experience.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/12/16 12:23 p.m.

I am not a dietitian, but I have heard from multiple sources that 100-150 grams of complex carbohydrates a day is a good number for a semi-active person. That's about 400 calories. By semi-active, I mean somebody who gets a moderate bit of exercise, but doesn't do constant manual labor or intensive exercise. So, somewhere between a couch-potato desk worker and a construction worker, I guess.

As mentioned, oatmeal and whole beans are a great source. The complex carbs will have a lower glycemic index, so they'll slowly enter your bloodstream and keep a steady supply of glucose available to you so you avoid the peaks and crashes that can lead to mood swings and binge eating.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
8/12/16 12:55 p.m.

and, as I suspected, lots of great info in this place. Damn I love this bar.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
8/12/16 2:05 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: I am not a dietitian, but I have heard from multiple sources that 100-150 grams of complex carbohydrates a day is a good number for a semi-active person. That's about 400 calories. By semi-active, I mean somebody who gets a moderate bit of exercise, but doesn't do constant manual labor or intensive exercise. So, somewhere between a couch-potato desk worker and a construction worker, I guess.

Word to the wise, however. My benefit plan covers dietician services, so we (wife and I) went to see one. She made recommendations. We're both well built, eat relatively well, and weight train. We followed her recommendations. I gained 10 pounds, wife lost 4. I've since returned to my lower carb, high fruit/vegetable routine and I'm back to normal. Lesson? Everybody is different. You need to find what works for you.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/13/16 4:09 a.m.

10lbs of fat or 10lbs of muscle?

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
8/13/16 9:02 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: 10lbs of fat or 10lbs of muscle?

Not going to gain 10lbs of muscle from a diet change.

I was under 15% body fat, but I'm also mid 50's, so my metabolism ain't what it used to be, and both of us wanted to lose just a few more pounds. The diet, calories, and macros she recommended just plain didn't work for me. Perspective: I was 144lbs, and wanted to be 140 and about 10% BF.

For what it is, BMI is actually quite good. In my experience, the people who like it the least really need to lose some weight, but don't want to admit it.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/13/16 1:39 p.m.

When going to a no (or very low) carb diet, you can lose a lot of water weight in the first few weeks. Depression symptoms aside, you may not be dropping weight too quickly and the weekly reduction will likely slow.

I've read that 15 calories per pound of bodyweight will keep your weight stable, 12 calories per pound will give you great long-term weight loss, and 10 calories per pound will help you drop a few more calories, but is not really sustainable in the long-term. (The previous numbers assume no exercise.)

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
8/13/16 2:29 p.m.

In reply to Zomby Woof:

If you are an average framed person BMI is fine. When you ate large framed and build muscle it's ridiculous. Our previous doctor told me at 210 that I was 45 lbs overweight. My skinniest I was 173 lbs with a 29" waist and still wore a 44 jacket tight. To be another 13 below that? Not a chance.

Update on my well being.... Not eating crazy but more normal and I feel mentally great. Interestingly I haven't regained any of the weight back yet.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
8/13/16 3:20 p.m.

Today I've walked 3 miles, ran for cones for 40 minutes and have watched JG kill it in the project Mustang. Soon I get to embarrass more muscle cars with a Kia and eat tacos. My god how could a man be depressed after a day like this?

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
8/13/16 6:51 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: In reply to Zomby Woof: If you are an average framed person BMI is fine. When you ate large framed and build muscle it's ridiculous. Our previous doctor told me at 210 that I was 45 lbs overweight. My skinniest I was 173 lbs with a 29" waist and still wore a 44 jacket tight. To be another 13 below that? Not a chance.

Last guy that told me almost exactly the same thing (actually found a different doctor because of it) was an ex professional hockey player, and very obviously 25 lbs overweight. Nonetheless, I have no idea what you look like, but I'm very muscular and right in the middle.

Regardless, glad you're feeling better.

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/14/20 8:31 a.m.

terrible thread to have a canoe.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
10/14/20 8:43 a.m.
Bobzilla said:

I was still eating 1700-1900 calories a day. Lots of proteins, bland veggies etc. from my Fitbit tracking previously I would burn 2100 a day not working out. I was eating 5 times a day.

I've done different stuff over the years as genetics have petty much screwed me. Entire family is extremely overweight (those still alive) and we have a pretty short life span because of it.

Just trying to get the most mileage out this tired body and all.

I think you're on the right approach. I wish I could follow your example, well maybe not lose so much weight at once.  I shoot for 10 pounds loss a year. 
I was a slim trim 152 pounds until my job had me on the road 16-18 hours a day. The only eating I did was fast food. 
By my mid 50's I was pushing 300+ pounds. And kept that until 60's when I slowly back slid down to my current 265.  My goal by the end of this year is 263. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/14/20 9:07 a.m.

Effin canoes. I don't want to talk about weight right now other than ive lost 21lbs now with the new job. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/14/20 9:38 a.m.
bobzilla said:

Effin canoes. I don't want to talk about weight right now other than ive lost 21lbs now with the new job. 

But, your experience four years down the road would be an interesting read.

About ten years ago, I watched every single thing that I put in my face, and lost almost 20 pounds over a year and a half.  I put every single pound of it back on over one Christmas holiday of sitting around and eating turkey.

I weigh what I weigh.  I'd love to lose fifty pounds, but that isn't going to happen, at least not permanently.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/14/20 9:49 a.m.
Bobzilla said:
Tactical Penguin wrote: Just curious, are you diabetic?

Nope. At least not at the last checkup in May. Not even pre-diabetic. blood sugar levels have always been good.

As a diabetic,  that kind of diet will berk-me-up. I wonder if it was your body trying to restabilize itself? Low blood sugar symptom are similar to what you described. Can you borrow a glucometer from a diabetic and rest yourself a few times a day for a couple of days?

*EDIT*

Annnnd, crap, time traveling canoes strike again.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/14/20 10:15 a.m.

I missed this thread the first time around, but I do find the idea of a carb/sugar to mood relationship interesting.  Personally, I've never been big on diets, but I also don't have a weight problem.  Sure, I'd like to lose a few pounds (or more accurately - reduce the beer gut and add more muscle mass), but I have never gone on a major "no-carb" diet.  I just love my carbs too much. I do try to mitigate them with a number of salads throughout the week.  I also exercise more than the average American.

Everyone is different, so I'm always skeptical of anything that sounds like a fad diet.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/14/20 10:22 a.m.

I've been on a similar diet for about two months. I haven't completely eliminated sugar and carbs but they are greatly reduced. The first three weeks were brutal with mood swings and withdrawals. Now I don't notice them and for the most part am in a better mood than I normally was. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WWNwIwAmuxdWtQt8Eh3mP8XcC4tRAtdIeNOkbt26YqmM51XUcqHqPhFKxo2cpO0z