1 2 3
RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/27/22 11:41 a.m.
yupididit said:

Mayo on chicken? I'm disappointed in y'all

Pizza taste better the second day barely warm. 

Ok, I don't like mayo. I think it's disgusting. But try this sometime and tell me it isn't great.

Take some mayo, put some seasonings in it, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, white pepper, and brush that on your chicken before baking it ON A RACK at 350 until golden brown. Works surprisingly well with pork chops before you fry them in a pan too.

Also works better than butter when making a grilled cheese in a pan. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/27/22 11:48 a.m.
RevRico said:

Ok, I don't like mayo. I think it's disgusting. But try this sometime and tell me it isn't great.

We gave this a number of tries, and just couldn't get it right.  I'm not against the concept, but we still prefer butter for grilled cheese.

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
6/27/22 11:53 a.m.

When I was a child, my mom always nuked food in the microwave for too long, leading to either piping hot food that'd destroy your mouth or just inedible dried out food. I'd always ask why and she says "I always meant to take it out after 2-3 minutes but then I forget and leave it in there for the full 10 minutes". I'd argue why she wouldn't just put the timer for 2-3 minutes instead of 10, but I digress. 

Because of this I've grown averse to warming food up in general. Pizza, sandwiches, chow/lo mein, yakisoba, fried rice, Chipotle, etc. If it was hot at one point, but is now cold, I'll eat it cold. Popeyes is the best cold and you can fight me on that.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/27/22 11:55 a.m.

I'm with your wife on this one. I do not like cold food unless it's meant to be cold (sandwiches, sushi, etc.). 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/27/22 12:01 p.m.
Duke said:
RevRico said:

We gave this a number of tries, and just couldn't get it right.  I'm not against the concept, but we still prefer butter for grilled cheese.

I have to agree with Rev.

Mayo is disgusting but it works extremely well on grill cheese sandwiches and you cannot taste it and I can taste mayonnaise from a mile away.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/27/22 12:03 p.m.

Fun fact: the best pizza to eat cold is Hawaiian. The pinapple likes to be cold, so it tastes quite good that way.

Learned this on school trips as a kid, ordering Hawaiian pizza at night also meant you had breakfast and breakfast is the most annoying meal when you're away from home. It's a habit I continue to this day.

There are those who decry the use of pineapple on pizza, but these are people who have not experienced the full variety life has to offer. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/27/22 12:12 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Stick with Miatas and building pergolas there. You're obviously still drunk from celebrating the Nordiques win last night and don't realize just how wrong and how far out of your lane you are. 

To answer the question, it depends on the food and the situation. In general, heating it up is better. In general, heating it up using the stove, oven, toaster, air fryer, grill, etc., will be better. In general, the microwave is the least preferred method of heating something up but it has its uses. In general, microwave heated food is better than cold food. 

But there are always exceptions to the rule. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/27/22 12:27 p.m.

Full respect for properly acknowledging the Nordiques.

golfduke
golfduke Dork
6/27/22 12:41 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Fun fact: the best pizza to eat cold is Hawaiian. The pinapple likes to be cold, so it tastes quite good that way.

Learned this on school trips as a kid, ordering Hawaiian pizza at night also meant you had breakfast and breakfast is the most annoying meal when you're away from home. It's a habit I continue to this day.

There are those who decry the use of pineapple on pizza, but these are people who have not experienced the full variety life has to offer. 

I do believe we might be related?  The hawaiian pizza at night hack is a business trip staple, and I will furiously defend its freedom as a recognized and respected pizza topping.  Lg Hawaiian, Extra pineapple, add bacon.  Dinner and breakfast bliss. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/27/22 12:57 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

This is a brilliant sentence.  Thank you!

Pizza reheats pretty well in just a few minutes in the toaster oven.  Using the microwave should be a crime.  I almost never eat it cold, unless I'm feeling like a Neanderthal.

The one thing I can think of that might actually be as good cold as hot is a piece of leftover grilled steak.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/27/22 1:03 p.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Microwaving ruins food, and don't always have the time to reheat on a stove or in the toaster oven.

Some stuff is just less messy cold, which makes it better, like my lasagna example. Although lasagna and pizza are basically the same thing. 

Asian food, and Americanized Asian foods, are good hot and cold. Noodles get more flavory chilling in the fridge collecting sauces. Cold rice is gross though, the only way to reheat rice that doesn't suck is to turn it into fried rice.

My mind is exploding. 

How does the microwave ruin food?  Yes, pizza, but only a sociopath would reheat pizza in a microwave.  Toaster oven at a minimum.  But how does it ruin the rest of foods? 

Also, pizza and lasagna are the same thing?!? What!?!?!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/27/22 1:06 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.sdreader.com%2Fimg%2Fphotos%2F2015%2F08%2F26%2Fresized_whoa-just-take-it-easy-man-meme-generator-whoa-just-take-it-easy-man-0fe181.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
6/27/22 1:16 p.m.
mtn said:

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Stick with Canada Bagels.

Fixed :)

This is just to jab Keith.  I'm really on his side - I love some pineapple on pizza.

Banana is a whole different story.  I haven't tried it, but I'm not sure I really want to experience "the full variety life has to offer" in this area.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/27/22 1:17 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:
RevRico said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Microwaving ruins food, and don't always have the time to reheat on a stove or in the toaster oven.

Some stuff is just less messy cold, which makes it better, like my lasagna example. Although lasagna and pizza are basically the same thing. 

Asian food, and Americanized Asian foods, are good hot and cold. Noodles get more flavory chilling in the fridge collecting sauces. Cold rice is gross though, the only way to reheat rice that doesn't suck is to turn it into fried rice.

My mind is exploding. 

How does the microwave ruin food?But how does it ruin the rest of foods?

lso, pizza and lasagna are the same thing?!? What!?!?!

A. That is a texture thing, if it doesn't come out of the microwave squishy, it's dried out. All hot or all cold also beats mixed hot and frozen as far as temps go. Breads and breadingtake on a mushy, sometimes hard and mushy texture at the same time, cheeses take on a glue consistency, meats dry out. 

2. Pizza and lasagna are the same thing, a lasagna is just layered pizza. Spaghetti is just shredded pizza. 

Bread, sauce, cheese, meat. Pizza. Doesn't really matter what the specifics are, but those things in combination equal pizza. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/27/22 1:19 p.m.

Can't help with debate, but thanks for reminding me that I have two slices of pizza in the fridge and its lunch time.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/27/22 1:31 p.m.
RevRico said:

2. Pizza and lasagna are the same thing, a lasagna is just layered pizza. Spaghetti is just shredded pizza. 

Bread, sauce, cheese, meat. Pizza. Doesn't really matter what the specifics are, but those things in combination equal pizza. 

Please understand that I would truly like to validate your statement by throwing the significant weight of my personal endorsement behind it.  But I cannot.

You are wrong.

Bread and pasta are not the same, in spite of their very similar beginnings.  Bread is absolutely ruined in the microwave, whereas pasta is not.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/27/22 1:35 p.m.

SWEATY CHEESE! Let that cheese(proper good cheese) come up in temp. When it starts to sweat, you get a completely different and far wider flavor profile.  Same with cheesecake. Sweaty! Almost warm. 

Mayo on EVERYTHING, kewpie doll red top mayo!

let the ice cream sit on the counter for a good 30 minutes+, I like it soupy. 

anything rice/pasta i reheat on a iron skillet and add water to re-hydrate it.  Otherwise its crispy and only for bad people to eat. smiley

meats, pretty much always properly reheated. Get the fat/flavor woken up. Cold italian meat is just fat. Heat it up and it explodes with flavor. 

I like my ice warmed up. Much easier to drink, easier on the teeth n throat. 

llysgennad
llysgennad Reader
6/27/22 1:43 p.m.

Some of y'all are gross. Food is to be eaten when prepared, there should be NO leftovers, 'cause they are gross.

Pizza/lasagna reheated is allowed if I failed to finish it the first time. But that is unlikely. I once ate 27 slices (and 3 salads!) during one lunch hour.

Pie is the exception, should always be cold.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/27/22 1:44 p.m.

Reheated roast beef is a sin.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
6/27/22 2:42 p.m.

It can be like eating an entirely different food when its cold. Sometimes they are both delicious. Pizza has a different taste for every stage:

Fresh with hot and gooey cheese and the toppings trying to burn you-is spectacular. Everything just flows in your mouth. All the flavors mix around  in a scalding explosion of excess salt, fat, acid, exciting meats and all your favorite fresh veggies on a slightly crispy and delightfully chewy freshly baked bread. 

Leftovers, wow the leftovers. I used to eat 3 slices in progression. I would throw a slice in the toaster oven on full temp, throw a slice in the microwave for a very short time, and start on a slice fresh out of the fridge. 

Cold Slice with set cheese,cold meat, and cold veggies : When eating pizza cold you discover that while its in the same shape, it's an entirely different food than you ate the night before. Some flavors that are muted and soft when hot become sharp and present when cold. Others change their delivery from front row initial bite flavor when hot, to slowly waking up in your mouth as you chew when cold. Combine the altered hierarchy of flavor delivery and the diametrically different mouth feel and you realize you received two different foods in the same box.

Microwaved and ruined like the unsophisticated heathen I am: The microwaved slice is a bridge. Just enough heat to knock the cold off puts you right at the crossroads of the two extremes of flavor. The cold flavors begin to settle while the hot ones start to wake up. The texture softens. Your appetite that was awakened by the surprise of a familiarly shaped meal, somehow, being new and differently exciting, senses a return to the glorious flavors of the evening before. You start to think that this may already be enough food, but the smell of the third slice, almost ready, pulls you forward to the satiating gluttony ahead.

The toaster oven slice. The pinnacle:   You can't ever return to the heaven that is a freshly delivered hot pizza, but you can go somewhere new and equally glorious. All the same flavors, all the same over the top in your face excess, but this time with a crisp crust, meats and veggies with perfectly crispy edges, cheese with just the right amount of stiffness at the peaks-and gooiness in the valleys. You are getting too full, but you don't stop. You just eat. You sit down, slow down,  and enjoy the last few bite conclusion of your 3 slice journey, smiling and hoping the kids don't eat all the leftovers, so you can do this again for lunch.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/27/22 2:48 p.m.

A few points:

I agree, ice cream is best when it's not quite melted, but close. A few seconds in the microwave will speed up the process  

I like food. There's lots of tools to make it work. Reheated is fine with me, but don't microwave the pizza. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
6/27/22 2:50 p.m.

I'm with the wife on this.  Cold (room temp) chicken legs are OK, but definitely not as good as when hot.  Other than that I can't think of anything else that comes close.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/27/22 2:52 p.m.

Pasta salad. (No lettuce? That ain't salad) All pasta should be hot. Take that cold bucket of crap and put it in the toilet where it belongs. 

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
6/27/22 3:01 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Quoted for truth!

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/27/22 3:01 p.m.

I don't generally like hot food. I like it to be about 105 degrees, at most. That way the fats can still carry the flavor, but I'm not going to burn my mouth on it. That's close to ambient air temperature some days. 

Everybody saying they like hot food: Do you eat it when it's near boiling or do you blow on it first? If you're not getting burned, you like WARM food. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DJw8hXPat5B5ioboHHPH3Yc2TTpKPHubsXb7YpGkgNNONr78wRx2CwCYs4WChpeQ