1 2 3 4 5 6
wae
wae UberDork
3/28/21 9:32 a.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

My jaw sort of hit the ground when the guy in that video said that they needed something 20,000 tons of pull and that the most powerful tug in the world was able to provide 420 tons.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
3/28/21 10:06 a.m.

May be an image of text that says 'Imagine being the captain of the first ship to to pass through the Suez after it gets unblocked and knowing that you have the potential to do the funniest thing that anyone has ever done ever.'

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/28/21 11:37 a.m.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/28/21 11:53 a.m.

At what point do the shipping companies behind all that tonnage just floating around say, "Screw it, we're going the long way!"?

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/28/21 12:04 p.m.
Duke said:

At what point do the shipping companies behind all that tonnage just floating around say, "Screw it, we're going the long way!"?

A long time ago, actually. Take a look at the vessel traffic around the Cape of Good Hope.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
3/28/21 1:02 p.m.

I'm not real smart, so...  Why not start using helicopters to unload containers?  I know there's a lot of containers on it but given how long the ship is multiple helicopters would work at once.

Of course, smarter people than me have already spent more time thinking about this...

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
3/28/21 1:10 p.m.

RIP Suez Canal -- 1869-2021.

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/28/21 1:21 p.m.

In reply to DWNSHFT :

What’s the capacity of the largest heavy lift helicopters? I believe a loaded 40 foot container can be 35 tons.

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
3/28/21 1:50 p.m.

Given the way 2020 has gone, and the way 2021 has started, it's probably full of TP and ammo.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/28/21 3:02 p.m.
DWNSHFT said:

I'm not real smart, so...  Why not start using helicopters to unload containers?  I know there's a lot of containers on it but given how long the ship is multiple helicopters would work at once.

Of course, smarter people than me have already spent more time thinking about this...

An MI-6 (probably what they have available) looks to lift 10-15 tones.  It might not be able to lift all of them, but I suspect the bigger issue would be having a way to rig the container to lift them (not something commonly done by helicopter), and find the ground and helicopter crews to do it and not make things much worse (e.g. on fire).

Hah! Just looked it up, someone answers the exact question.  They have a much lower lift capacity then I found for the MI-6.  Mine might be total weight?

https://www.aerotime.aero/27542-Could-helicopters-solve-the-Suez-channel-blockage

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/28/21 3:24 p.m.

A non scientific observation there’s way more forty foot containers than twenty foot. I have spent way too much of my life sitting at level railway crossings watching container trains going by or yarding.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
3/28/21 3:46 p.m.

Even assuming a helicopter can lift one, I believer there are around 20,000 on that ship.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
3/28/21 4:19 p.m.
Beer Baron said:

Even assuming a helicopter can lift one, I believer there are around 20,000 on that ship.

Correct, so if you can move 1 an hour, every hour, it's 2.5 years straight. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
3/28/21 4:53 p.m.

Somebody should start digging a ditch parallel to the existing ditch that goes around this boat.

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
3/28/21 5:33 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

With a proper crew rigging the containers and a dozen helicopters I'd be surprised to get fewer than a container every 5 minutes unloaded.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/28/21 5:44 p.m.

Dam the canal behind the ship in anticipation of the next high tide on the north side

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
3/28/21 5:47 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

No clue if the timing could be done, but containers are made to be lifted with quick release cams on a spreader beam... the rig wouldn’t know the difference between a crane hook, or a chopper hook. Now would be the time to invent a sky hook!

My dad once saw a container that had way to much in it get lifted from the upper corners, like they always do. Container lifted right up. The floor, however, stayed right where it was!

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
3/28/21 6:00 p.m.

Run straps under it and attach to inflatables on both sides? To easy ?

Wally (Forum Supporter)
3/28/21 7:28 p.m.
triumph7
triumph7 Reader
3/28/21 8:42 p.m.
johndej said:

I was thinking more like...

"Canals closed folks, the moose up front should've told ya'!"

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/28/21 9:10 p.m.
John Welsh said:
RossD said:

The SS Alpena is 639' long.

The Edmund Fitzgerald was 729' long!  

And that's just the song!

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
3/28/21 9:20 p.m.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
3/28/21 10:29 p.m.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/28/21 10:41 p.m.

I wonder what the bill is going to be for this?  There is the obvious tow bill, but will there be fees for blocking traffic?  Do they charge by the hour to be in the canal?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/28/21 10:55 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

Click on the link to learn about this literary treasure, I can't wait for the movie.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0917CLBD5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_2VDJQJHWRXX44MGV1BJQ?fbclid=IwAR3dOrb8HD3RT96IilDH2YU6iySYxhBEh7MWF8VXSLSkIwk32DyVLGafURg&pldnSite=1

Chuck Tingle is a damn American treasure.  

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Jc5Wefp6JKijCVdkpiYbvhv8s3ApDnuFvlrcTME12OeAOHZQWQyCI2zyrQScEVJR