1 2 3
Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
1/2/19 9:44 a.m.

My old TV gave out last week so time to replace and up grade. Any thoughts on a good TV that you would recommend or stay away from? Two service I would like to use are Amazon prime and Net flicks. 

Paul B

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/2/19 9:47 a.m.

I generally recommend getting a dumb TV and then adding the smarts in the form of some kind of external device, so that there won't be a hilariously obsolete computer stuck in your TV after a few years.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/2/19 9:57 a.m.

Especially if it is a hilariously outdated computer with a bunch of security issues, which unfortunately is highly likely. 

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
1/2/19 9:58 a.m.

Regular TV + Roku stick = smarter TV.

Nugi
Nugi Reader
1/2/19 9:59 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

I generally recommend getting a dumb TV and then adding the smarts in the form of some kind of external device, so that there won't be a hilariously obsolete computer stuck in your TV after a few years.

Gonna second this. However, finding a 'dumb' tv is a suprisingly tall order these days. I would shop for one sold as a computer monitor, rather than 'television'. Many of the new tvs have annoying 'smart' 'features' that are impossible to disable, and often phone home your watching habits. In the case of a few sonys, some have even been caught sending recorded audio without knowledge or permission.

Strange times when all us computer engineers are becoming prophetizing psudeo-luddites with some of this new tech. I love the newest gadget, as long as it empowers me above the 3rd parties who sold it to me. 

I used to recommend roku sticks, but lately their service is getting a bit worse. Still decent, but the trend is pretty clear. Not sure what to recommend for the streamy bit these days. Maybe a Pi?

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/2/19 10:02 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

I used to say this as well, but lately it's not so true. For one thing, it's getting really hard to find a TV that doesn't have any smart features, especially in bigger sizes. For another, the smart apps in the TV, and even the OS itself, can be updated for years to come, so you don't really need to worry about obsolescence like you used to. And finally, even if the smart features are there, you don't have to use them, you can just plug in a Roku or Apple TV or game console or whatever and use it.

As for picking one, I like the ratings on Rtings.com. For value-for-money, people seem to love the offerings from TCL.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/2/19 10:02 a.m.

Good luck finding a non-'smart' TV in any reasobnable size by any reasonable manufacturer.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/2/19 10:10 a.m.

My E series Vizio is trucking along nicely. Finally cheaper than when I bought it too. 

Could just get a game console, have a fancy blu ray player along with all your streaming apps. 

Turboeric
Turboeric GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/2/19 10:11 a.m.

For what it’s worth, I have a smart TV, but the same dumb E36M3 comes out of it.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/2/19 10:21 a.m.

Here's the thing, my Samsung Smart TV is pretty great and it allows me to access Amazon Prime, Hulu and Netflix.  It will NEVER allow access to Apple Movies because Samsung and Apple are competitors.  Same with my FireTV Stick, no way is Amazon allowing access to ITunes, or Google Play for that matter.  So no matter what you buy, nothing is going to access everything. (Note that I have not checked Roku)

What I like about the Smart TV is that is allows me to use one remote for everything, that's pretty nice.  There are even buttons on the remote for the most popular apps, like Netflix.  Samsung is pretty slow about getting certain apps on their TV's, but they have an impressive list of channels you can access.   

What I like about FireTV is that the cost is pretty darn low, I think I paid $25 for a FireTV stick.  If you go with FireTV, I would recommend getting the voice-command version because typing on a 2-button remote sucks.  I can control mine through my Alexa Echo, so I never upgraded.   

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/2/19 10:21 a.m.

Yeah, I don't think the "smart" part refers to the content. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
1/2/19 10:23 a.m.

Cheap enough to be considered a disposable commodity.  Buy a Vizio.  It's not likely to break before you get tired of it.  Throw away.  Buy another one.  Repeat as necessary.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/2/19 10:24 a.m.

You don't have to use the apps on the TV if you don't want to. I would bet it's nearly impossible to find a TV that doesn't have a wired and WiFi connection, so it can be updated. Hell my A/V receiver is hooked up to our WiFi network and has probably updated 3 times in the year I've owned it?

As for the Roku, I can no longer recommend it over the Amazon Fire Cube. The newest Roku had CONSTANT issues with the HDCP 2.2 "handshake" running through my A/V receiver. Dropped audio, horrible lag, video and audio out of sync, etc. 

I've had no such problems with the Fire Cube.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/2/19 10:29 a.m.
Tom_Spangler said:
GameboyRMH said:

I used to say this as well, but lately it's not so true. For one thing, it's getting really hard to find a TV that doesn't have any smart features, especially in bigger sizes. For another, the smart apps in the TV, and even the OS itself, can be updated for years to come, so you don't really need to worry about obsolescence like you used to. And finally, even if the smart features are there, you don't have to use them, you can just plug in a Roku or Apple TV or game console or whatever and use it.

As for picking one, I like the ratings on Rtings.com. For value-for-money, people seem to love the offerings from TCL.

I bought a 43” TCL from Costco a year ago and it has been trouble free. I don’t use it for anything other than YouTube-Amazon Prime-Cable-NETFLIX so I couldn’t comment on gaming etc. and my only complaint is that it doesn’t remember where you were when you turned it off so you’ve got to go through the menu options every time you turn it on. In terms of obsolesce, I only paid ~$270 for it so if it gives me five decent years, I’ll be satisfied.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/2/19 10:31 a.m.

Yep, I suggest the external device (I like Roku's and my 4K TV/Roku box work just fine together, but there have been some issues on their other models apparently). 

Also, you don't have to connect the TV to the internet, or use the features.  For a time it was cheaper to buy a dumb TV over a Smart one.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
1/2/19 10:43 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Its hilariously obsolete the day you buy it.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
1/2/19 11:07 a.m.

Funny, we just went through this same exercise.  I ended up getting a 40" Sanyo non-smart TV from Wally world for about $200.  Picked it up at 3PM on December 31, and we watched the ball drop on it.  

I also bought a $30 Roku Express (their cheapest unit) and it plugged and played perfectly.  We streamed a free movie on it before watching the Times Square extravaganza.  

I like the Sanyo TV.  Picture looks nice and it receives all the local HD channels via our antenna.  Remote is simple and functions logically laid out.  The frame around the TV is really thin, too, so the TV doesn't take up much more wall space than our old 32" unit.  I was going to buy an Insignia from best buy, as they were only $150 for the same size, but I'd read some iffy reviews on it- some related to the ability to receive over-the-air channels - so I spent the extra 50 on a better-name unit.  The only beef I have so far with the Sanyo is it did not come with screws to attach to our wall-mount bracket.  Fortunately I had a bucket of M screws from an old W123 Mercedes and found 4 of the correct thread size.  

Only beef with the Roku thus far is it's impossible to remove channels form the unit by logging into your account on the computer.  it must be done on the TV itself.  Not a huge hassle, just a minor annoyance.  

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/2/19 11:11 a.m.

I have a 46" LED Vizio I bought about 5 years ago.  It's connected to an antenna in my attic and picks up most local channels.

For the "smart" part I have it hard-wired to my Fios router for Prime and Netflix.  I was watching Prime last night.  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/2/19 11:12 a.m.
Stefan said:

Yep, I suggest the external device (I like Roku's and my 4K TV/Roku box work just fine together, but there have been some issues on their other models apparently). 

Also, you don't have to connect the TV to the internet, or use the features.  For a time it was cheaper to buy a dumb TV over a Smart one.

Mine was the Roku Ultra. Running it through an Onkyo TR-777 A/V receiver, then into a basic LG TV. 

Same receiver and TV, the Amazon Fire cube has been flawless. 

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
1/2/19 12:05 p.m.

After trying Roku we were a longtime AppleTV house until we got our Samsung smart tv.  It works well and it's just easy.  Even my two year old can work it.  Check out the remote:

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/2/19 12:10 p.m.

Something to keep in mind with Samsung that I'm surprised hadn't come up yet, they WILL and DO stop supporting their tvs after a while. NissanTech and his wife got a rather nice 3d smart Samsung for wedding present 6 years ago. In the last year, Samsung has stopped supporting YouTube and Netflix on the TV, sop they don't work at all anymore. Not a huge problem since they have a ps3 and a fire stick, but something to keep in mind. 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
1/2/19 1:43 p.m.

In reply to nderwater :

That crappy remote is part of the reason we did NOT get a smart TV.  Since we watch OTA broadcast TV a bit, I like to be able to type in channel numbers (like, "11.1" ) manually.  Smart TV remotes don't allow that.  Yeah, you can program your smart phone to do it but that's just one more step, and I don't always have my phone on me.  

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/2/19 1:49 p.m.
RevRico said:

Something to keep in mind with Samsung that I'm surprised hadn't come up yet, they WILL and DO stop supporting their tvs after a while. NissanTech and his wife got a rather nice 3d smart Samsung for wedding present 6 years ago. In the last year, Samsung has stopped supporting YouTube and Netflix on the TV, sop they don't work at all anymore. Not a huge problem since they have a ps3 and a fire stick, but something to keep in mind. 

This is true for ALL of their products.  Not terribly annoying for their phones, tablets and computers as that is expected, but truly annoying for their appliances when you need to repair them.  Instead you often have to replace them much more quickly than other brands.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/2/19 2:25 p.m.

In reply to Stefan :

Damn.  Samsung TVs look great and I was figuring that would be my first stop when we eventually upgrade from our 10-year-old Sony 52".  But witnessed by the fact that I have a 10-year-old TV and probably won't replace it in the immediate future, I want something I can keep for a while.

So who do we like for great picture quality and long service life these days?

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
1/2/19 2:40 p.m.
Duke said:

So who do we like for great picture quality and long service life these days?

That’s the big question these days. Nothing last long like they used to. My neighbors LG 50 inch TV quit back in October and it was only 4 years old. It has been sitting in the garage and I helped him take it to the landfill recycling center 2 days after Christmas. Holy crap, the container is FULL of mostly flat panel TV’s. No idea if it was crapped out TV’s or dumped TVs for bigger screens. It was a sight to behold and actually quite shocking. He got the latest and greatest 75 inch LG TV for Christmas and bought the extended warranty from Costco for it. 

I’m glad my flat panel 46 inch Sony Bravia TV is still going strong after 14 years. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bt8whXyMA8dXVEUweeVAI2MG7IZYkWzk5TB0OZtCeShPEBV1TCJ8OPKdQSnvV2EG