1 2 3 ... 6
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
2/14/21 8:40 a.m.

My husky is loving life right now.

2/14/21 8:44 a.m.

Mac the Aussie likes the cold wet stuff too.

2/14/21 8:47 a.m.

2/14/21 8:48 a.m.

wae
wae UberDork
2/14/21 8:50 a.m.

I'm not saying that he doesn't like it, but in that picture at least, Mac doesn't look very impressed! laugh

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
2/14/21 8:52 a.m.

Snow in Dallas is like the apocalypse.  Have fun freaking people out by safely driving around.

2/14/21 9:06 a.m.

In reply to 84FSP :

This is what I kept my Jeep XJ for. The husky's name is Cherokee.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/14/21 9:13 a.m.

Can you give me an idea of what it's really like?  The news is saying that it's the end of the world and there are holes in the space/tiime continuum.  I lived in Austin for about 4 years and it snowed/iced twice while I was down there.  There was one ice storm that brought down trees and power lines, but I don't recall it being overly publicized.

As a PA person, I'm not making light of the situation down there.  Getting winter weather in an area that isn't used to it is no joke, I'm just trying to determine if it's just the media being the media, or if it really is armageddon.  My Texas friends on FB are losing their minds over this and saying they haven't seen anything like this since the Eisenhower administration, and I'm like, "except 2007, 2009, and 2010, ya whiners."

But maybe it is that bad?

j_tso
j_tso Reader
2/14/21 9:51 a.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

Austin checking in. Lots of random bits of road are iced up with more precipitation coming. Of course everyone thinks 4WD will save them and forget about being able to brake or turn.

There was snow here in January and previous years, but temperatures have not dipped into single digits for decades. Water pipes busting is probably the biggest concern.

Have you seen the highway pile ups on the news?  There was a really big one near Dallas on Friday.
Now they're saying because wind generators are iced up and because the Texas grid doesn't have reserve capacity there may be rolling blackouts. So, it might suck.

Gotta feel for the kids nowadays. No more snow days with remote learning, as long as the power holds out.

2/14/21 9:53 a.m.
wae said:

I'm not saying that he doesn't like it, but in that picture at least, Mac doesn't look very impressed! laugh

He's probably looking for stray sheep. 

2/14/21 10:22 a.m.

I don't think it's that bad. But then again I spent a few years as a Vail ski bum, lived for 8 years in Denver and grew up in Northern California learning to ski at Lake Tahoe and learning to drive in snow and ice at age 16. I grew up in Sonora, California right down the road from the ski resorts. I can remember my Father, who was a utility company engineer, coming home from work in a snow cat during a blizzard. 

If you are not used to snow and ice I guess it could be scary. My office will be closed tomorrow and I don't hear a car running in my neighborhood. Six people died on the freeway in Fort Worth on Thursday. I parked the Mustang and we are driving the 4x4 XJ and the front wheel drive CRV. The cities here don't have snowplows but TXDOT is using a saline solution on bridges and underpasses. It's not so much the amount of the snow as much as it is they just aren't set up for it. 

Most people here don't have ice scrapers in their car.

Subscriber-unavailabile
Subscriber-unavailabile HalfDork
2/14/21 10:28 a.m.

In reply to j_tso :

I'm in pflugerville,round rock area. Was hilarious in January when we got that snow storm, people were driving 10mph everywhere. Thankfully with family in Colorado and various east coast states I have experience, I was driving like "mad man"...

Currently getting snow drizzles, my driveway and road are starting to ice over already. Only thing that really sucks, the thermostat switch went on my outside unit, so every few hours it's turning into giant block of ice. Fun spending 20 mins with water hose de-icing it off.

2/14/21 11:12 a.m.

I try not to be critical of how other areas handle natural disaster things.  I had a real eye opener when I moved to L.A.  My PA mom was convinced I was going to die in a pile of rubble after one of those earthquakes she sees on the news.  My friends in L.A., meanwhile, genuinely couldn't understand how people didn't die from the cold weather in PA.  They actually thought that when the news showed them a winter storm in the north that it was a humanitarian crisis with everyone just becoming frozen popsicles in a snow drift like Jack Nicholson at the end of The Shining.  After living in L.A. for 6 years and experiencing one earthquake that I couldn't even feel, I realized how silly we allow our perceptions of other people's perceptions to become.

The only time I was critical of things in Austin was that when it got really cold... like 34 degrees... they would often shut down overpasses.  I think they genuinely thought that bridges would freeze even without any precipitation.

j_tso
j_tso Reader
2/14/21 11:35 a.m.

Yeah, even if you have experience and appropriate tires, you can't save yourself from other people running into you. There was video of that pile up up north where a semi just plowed straight into the ongoing wreck.

2/14/21 11:49 a.m.
j_tso said:

Yeah, even if you have experience and appropriate tires, you can't save yourself from other people running into you. There was video of that pile up up north where a semi just plowed straight into the ongoing wreck.

Driving on Dallas freeways in good weather involves driving 80 mph while tailgating the guy in front of you. Somebody from Southern California wrote an entire article about how much worse drivers were here, right after he moved back to San Diego after a year in DFW. Add a little ice to mix with 18 wheelers and small cars and people start dying. 

Subscriber-unavailabile
2/14/21 12:09 p.m.

I'm curious what's gonna happen with my work. Friday we had a delayed start at work. Sitting in office waiting for my truck to be loaded we had guys calling in saying wrecks and road closures all over. Now it's getting even more colder with ice/snow next 24 hours. Don't think I'll be going to work in couple days 

2/14/21 1:32 p.m.

In reply to Subscriber-unavailabile :

Stay safe man.  Take advantage of the time and binge watch something.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
2/14/21 2:21 p.m.

I'm down here in the Austin area.  I think part of the panic was early predictions this week said it would be much worse.  Well, that and the ice storm that caused the wrecks in DFW and lots of downed trees everywhere.  Friday, they said we'd have a low of 0 and snow on Monday.  Now they're saying sunny on Monday with just some snow tonight.  Seems like every time I check the weather app, the snow prediction is later.  So, it could still be sigificant, but seems like much less than orginally thought.

-Rob

2/14/21 2:22 p.m.

I'm running out of Expanse episodes.

Subscriber-unavailabile
2/14/21 2:25 p.m.

I'm doing some gaming. I don't mind binge watching some stuff but gaming keeps mind juices flowing better!

2/14/21 4:14 p.m.

Getting the generator ready for the rolling blackouts. We still have power in Rockwall but Frisco has 1,800 residences without power. Piling on the blankets and preparing for a two dog night.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/14/21 4:25 p.m.

Actual footage of drivers attempting to flee from armageddon:

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/14/21 4:36 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

That was my wife about an hour ago. We made it 23 minutes skating in 3* today. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/14/21 4:45 p.m.

I'm not sure what you're seeing. That represents a car/4x4 pickup attempting to drive down a road.

2/14/21 4:46 p.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) :

Me too, and we aren't in the middle of a storm.  I had to switch to Outlander.  A little too much romance novel, but plenty of boobs.

1 2 3 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ifRB6nnZ8bLQ0SbuP079G3af1rdSPZqq3lT070Hj0219XiPauk0aMnEfYLdN4WCL