1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 43
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/25/23 7:32 p.m.

Saturday, autocross and track sprint at the Firm. Sunday, whatever chores and cooking/baking I get to. 

Crxpilot
Crxpilot HalfDork
2/25/23 7:43 p.m.

Watched my boys shoot 3 position (prone, kneeling, standing) rifle in the local 4H.  They make me proud.

Gary
Gary UberDork
2/25/23 8:04 p.m.

We had a short break in the rainy Palm Springs weather this morning, so Annie and I went out to "Koffi" for coffee. (Great coffee and pastry if you're ever in Palm Springs). Annie took a pic of an alley off Palm Canyon Drive:

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
2/25/23 8:21 p.m.
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) said:

I sooooooo wish I had gotten a C3 instead of the C4 I got.

My first corvette was a C4, they are a great vehicle.  The C3 is definitely more primative (especially this one with a beastly 383 motor in it) but fun.   C4 makes a better DD

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/25/23 8:50 p.m.
JThw8 said:

Making bad life choices

Bad life choices?  I called this guy to hear more.  He mentioned due to his age he collects coins now. Wish I had some old coins to trade for the body man's dream car.  (I figure a body man's dream car is 100% rust free w/perfect paint)

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
2/25/23 9:58 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

That one would definitely have been tempting but I was looking for a drivable "easy" project since I still have the full 49 Ford build ongoing.   The one I got is mechanically sound with a very healthy 383, new interior and pretty much all good except for utterly terrible paint.  The photo doesnt do it justice but its bad.  But it came with all the primers, fillers and paint from the same supplier I usually use and in the color I would have chosen (phantom black pearl) so it was hard to say no.   Gonna drive it for a bit and then do a quick prep and paint and drive it some more.

Gary
Gary UberDork
2/25/23 10:30 p.m.

In reply to JThw8 :

Good plan. Drive the hell out of it and have fun!

(Incidentally, a '71 C3 "Official 50th Anniversary Indy 500 Pace Car" version in fantastic condition just sold for under $15K at the auction here in Palm Springs to an overseas buyer (Japan I think). So have fun with yours. Don't worry about road rash or other issues. Just enjoy it. That's what this is all about!)

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/26/23 1:16 a.m.
Gary said:

We had a short break in the rainy Palm Springs weather this morning, so Annie and I went out to "Koffi" for coffee. (Great coffee and pastry if you're ever in Palm Springs). Annie took a pic of an alley off Palm Canyon Drive:

That looks so nice!!  

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/26/23 1:22 a.m.

The weather up here is not the best for out door stuff. So I have been doing some computer stuff. I then remembered I wanted to change/upgrade a couple light switches so that was the afternoons fun. Not sure what Sunday will bring.  I would really like to give the car a quick cleaning if the weather cooperates. 

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
2/26/23 7:49 a.m.

Flew into Dallas for meetings yesterday and got sick around 5:30. Can't stand up without my stomach heaving, dang it. I was supposed to present a few thing at 8:45 today and will not be doing so now...

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
2/26/23 10:48 a.m.

In reply to Gary :

I suspect it was a 78 25th anniversary which was the pace car edition.   15k is about right for that car but prices have been starting to creep up on these rubber bumper cars which is why I decided to get in before they got stupidly priced.   Im not an never have been an all original or show quality type of guy so this thing will be perfect.   The paint bugs me because Im a paint guy so I'll fix it eventually but I cant see it while I drive it so I'll just keep driving and not be bothered :)

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/26/23 11:37 a.m.
JThw8 said:

Making bad life choices

I love it, and fully intend to continue to enable the behavior. I myself have just made, what to some, may be considered a questionable decision:

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
2/26/23 11:53 a.m.
tb said:
JThw8 said:

Making bad life choices

I love it, and fully intend to continue to enable the behavior. I myself have just made, what to some, may be considered a questionable decision:

Nice!  Details?

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/26/23 12:00 p.m.

In reply to JThw8 :

Professor Brap had a for sale thread, but not a ton of details beyond fresh rebuilt engine, transmission (with lsd), brakes and new 615k+s.

Essentially, one of the last non rusty and unmolested GLHs around with a good deal on a horde of performance parts. Flying to get it in a couple weeks.

If you have ever heard me claim that I am totally 100% done with hillclimbs then I submit that perhaps you misheard me.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
2/26/23 12:11 p.m.

In reply to tb :

Fairly sure I heard you say you were done racing competitively, but that was a long time ago in a far away state, and it was late by the pool with poopshovel. So I probably did mishear you. 
Love the Omni/Horizon cars. Mine didn't have a turbo, or much of a charging system. In fact, it was unquestionably a raging pile. I loved that car. 

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/26/23 12:35 p.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

In my defense, A LOT of things get said around that pool late at night... and I am certain that in the morning poop had absolutely no recollection of the event, so might not have happened?

I have no plan to actually compete, just show up and have fun! There just happen to be a few events still on my list that would haunt me if I never tried. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/26/23 12:59 p.m.

I hung some weight on the back of my excavator to help with digging. 

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
2/26/23 1:12 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

That little excavator is awesome.  I keep threatening to get one for projects around the farm but cant quite justify the cost

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/26/23 3:33 p.m.

In reply to JThw8 :

I was looking at trenches because I have about 400' of trench to run for some RV pads. I also have a section of concrete to replace in my driveway and a patio to excavate for. A local guy imported 7 of these and the price was pretty fair so I bought one. 

His next load is supposed to have some skid steers in it. I might have to pick up one of those as well. 

I'm allergic to shovels anymore. 

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
2/26/23 5:00 p.m.

Gambling at Goodwill on discontinued tech:

Everything works!

Now the kids a surfing Goodwill's website for more track and cars.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/26/23 5:14 p.m.

I built a 2" receiver platform for my winch.  Turned out not terrible.  The welds are strong with good penetration, but MAN are they ugly.  Hard to get good penetration in 1/4" steel with .030 wire and a smaller welder.  (See also:  Curtis obviously hasn't done a lot of welding recently)

Cutting the length of 2" I need.

Welding on the winch plate

Cutting some gussets from some 1" tube

Final welds

Prime and paint, assemble, test.... DONE!

I'm adding a step-bumper 2" receiver on the front of the trailer, so this can pop in, hook up to the battery, and do the work.  It's also nice because it can go in any 2" receiver.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/26/23 6:41 p.m.

I had four possible events for Saturday: three with cars and one for BMX.

I stayed home with the dog: cleaned, cleaned and cleaned some more before organizing photos from our magazine files. (And I worked on my zines.)

GPz11 (Forum Supporter)
GPz11 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
2/26/23 7:40 p.m.

Cleaning up the basement after the sump pump failed.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/26/23 8:22 p.m.

Then I couldn't leave well enough alone.  I figured as long as I had the welder and torch going, I'd finish up another project.

These started life as the hand-forged brackets for the footboards in a 19th century cabriolet buggy.  I wanted sconce candelabras.

I fired up the rosebud and bent them 90 degrees so the three legs pointed up.  Then I ordered some candle cups and lamp shade finials from Amazon.  Today I finally got them all together.  I welded some 1/4"-28 bolts on the bottom of the cups and used the finials as decorative nuts on the bottom.

They're not quite done yet.  I have some clear crystal pendants to hang on the bottom, and still need to figure out my candle followers, but they're almost done.

Gary
Gary UberDork
2/26/23 10:42 p.m.

After I left the car auction this afternoon, I walked back into town and met Annie for beers:

(Anti-gravity or something)

1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 43

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PDIdTXEStvjrQuzDdnzJ7K34WYDMpbCoE5J31HYRbhFAljpV2JhglFwylG8DMSIp