1 2 3 4
Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/25/19 4:36 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Even more hilarious is that there are expiration dates on salt.

It's a freaking rock ffs

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/25/19 4:37 p.m.

There is sort of an expiration date on uranium.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
2/17/20 8:54 a.m.

Should I feel honored that two of my old threads have been dredged up from Zombieville?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
2/17/20 8:55 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

There is sort of an expiration date on uranium.

That's only half right! laugh

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
2/17/20 12:01 p.m.

Salt is not just salt. It's one of the four staples of cooking any delicious meal (Salt, Fat, Acid, & Heat in which there is also an excellent book and netflix series with the same name). If you go to Japan they have stores with thousands of different kinds of salts and surprise they all have different tastes. Shapes, sizes, trace elements, etc all play various roles in how your taste buds perceive things; but, even with my unrefined heathenous pallette - I can still tell a difference between Mortmans fine grain salt and lets say a pickling salt....

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/17/20 3:07 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

They should brand them as snow tires for her and make.them pink. 

Everyone knows that when you make a disposable razor pink "for her" you can get double for it. 

You can also put the same body wash or shampoo in a dark, angular looking bottle and call it "for men" and get double, too.

The Himalayan pink salt soap has me confused.  If it has salt, how is it "hydrating"?  Salt pulls the moisture out of things, including bacteria and other little bugs.  That is why salt is so important, it and honey were the only preservatives we had before the discovery of refrigeration.

Keith Tanner
9/17/20 1:09 p.m.

I know this is a canoe zombie thread, but it was actually going through my mind the other day. I was messing around with synthesizers and signal paths and filters etc. And in those cases, it's the "bad" parts of the signal that's interesting. Want a pure sine wave? Get a flute. Want something with some meat to it? Mix in a sawtooth, ram it through some filters, detune one of the oscillators and then overdrive the amplifier. You have now messed up that nice clean signal in fun ways.

Salt's the same way. Sure, it's NaCl. But it's the other stuff that makes it interesting.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/17/20 1:14 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Salt's the same way. Sure, it's NaCl. But it's the other stuff that makes it interesting.

I think I know what you mean.  Take alcohol for instance.  Nearly pure distilled grain alcohol is fine, but not terribly interesting.  The good stuff is made according to old family recipes and might be aged in old oak barrels or contain bits of solder from the discarded radiator of Uncle Cletus' old pick-em-up truck. cheeky

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/17/20 3:58 p.m.

And that spammer's been deactivated. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/25/20 2:11 p.m.

I hear canoeing in the Himalayas is lovely this time of year.

Scott_H
Scott_H Reader
9/25/20 2:46 p.m.

My adult daughter was staying with us when she was between jobs and such and went and bought some fancy salt.  Now, I will admit that there are seasoned salts that do make a big difference but that is not relevant here. 

She was proud of this new sea salt she had just bought and was sprinkling it on her food on the plate in front of her.  I asked to see it and looked at the label.  I don't know what she paid for it but it was a lot more than the Morton's stuff.  Whatever.  I look at the bottle and read the label.  Turn it around to see the back of the label and the company name is there with their address.  Somewhere in northern Utah, I don't recall, SLC?, Ogden?, ??.   Being Dad, I inform her that they took her hard earned money and sold her lake salt, not sea salt.  "See, the company is from the Salt LAKE area of Utah.  You bought LAKE salt, not SEA salt".   She was not impressed.  Dad humor FTW.

Keith Tanner
9/25/20 2:59 p.m.

Redmond, I'll bet. It IS sea salt, the sea just left a long time ago. It's mined.

Morton's comes from the Great Salt Lake, you can see them harvesting it when you drive along the interstate. Literally picking it up with loaders.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
2/3/22 8:54 a.m.

Even zombies taste better with salt.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/3/22 9:34 a.m.
MazdaFace said:

Pink salt going on the wagyu beef patties tonight. 

Are we just going to ignore the tiny feet in the sink?

Cooter
Cooter PowerDork
2/3/22 10:06 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

For over two years now.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
2/4/22 2:28 p.m.

Well, I'll be dipped...

I was more interested in it's culinary applications. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/4/22 2:48 p.m.

"Toxins"!  Bingo

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/10/22 9:27 p.m.

Sorry, I will stick to my iodized salt, what with all of the radiation leaks occurring around the world (maybe soon to be Ukraine) and growing up during the open air nuke testing that sent plumbs of radioactive Iodine-125 drifting across the world and also since I don't know where to buy Iodine pills. 

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/9/23 3:30 p.m.

^ wait, now the SPAMbots are +1ing themselves???

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ajf6PsEKTJcTwkSafNVc5ttH8ZSPUxWWGibXaJuxpqx5d3QtHM9ifjXfo4ayiJsj