Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/21/21 5:57 p.m.

So, for some reason my welder keeps tripping the breaker whenever I turn it on.  The only thing I've done since the last time I used it was to replace the gas inlet nozzle.   The old one was cracked and is likely why I ran out of argon.

So, I replaced the nozzle going into the solenoid.  Now, nothing.  I'm assuming that the solenoid was grounded before and now it isn't, or that I mixed up the wires.  It has three posts and two wires going to it, I didn't realize the wires were individual spade connectors and not a plug so I eff'd myself a bit

Below is the solenoid, I've been trying to dig up a wiring diagram but I can't find anything in english.  Below the solenoid is the wiring diagram, the highlighted portion is the solenoid.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/21/21 8:03 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

So, for some reason my welder keeps tripping the breaker whenever I turn it on.  The only thing I've done since the last time I used it was to replace the gas inlet nozzle.   The old one was cracked and is likely why I ran out of argon.

So, I replaced the nozzle going into the solenoid.  Now, nothing.  I'm assuming that the solenoid was grounded before and now it isn't, or that I mixed up the wires.  It has three posts and two wires going to it, I didn't realize the wires were individual spade connectors and not a plug so I eff'd myself a bit

Below is the solenoid, I've been trying to dig up a wiring diagram but I can't find anything in english.  Below the solenoid is the wiring diagram, the highlighted portion is the solenoid.

I agree this makes no sense.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
4/21/21 8:05 p.m.

I did find this:

https://www.cemegroup.com/solenoid-valves/5510-45

Mr_Asa
4/21/21 8:14 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

I found that as well, but it doesn't seem to label any of the terminals.

Sometimes it won't trip the breaker.  When it does that I can actually feed wire through the spool gun, but it doesn't arc and it doesn't allow argon through.  Then after 5-10 minutes of that it decides to trip the breaker.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
4/21/21 8:34 p.m.

I mean, if you've got 2 wires and 3 posts, you don't have many options even if you have to try them all. 

By looking at the posts I bet you can figure out which one wasn't connected before and then you only have 2 options to try.

Mr_Asa
4/21/21 8:36 p.m.

You'd think that would be the easy way to resolve it, right?  I haven't actually sat down to write out all the combos, but I'm fairly sure I tried them all.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/22/21 9:39 a.m.

The only part of the highlighted area that's the solenoid is the section labeled Y1. K1 is a relay.  The connections to use on the solenoid are terminals 1 and 2.  It doesn't matter which wire goes to which.  They should be labeled but I'm sure that they're hard to read in situ.

Mr_Asa
4/22/21 1:02 p.m.

A: Black 1, White 2 - Wire feed works, no arc, no argon, tripped breaker eventually

B: Black 2, White 1 - Feed works, no arc, no argon, doesn't trip

C: Black 1, White 3 - Tripped instant power switch was thrown

D: Black 3, White 1 - Same

E: Black 2, White 3 - Trips before switch is turned on

F: Black 3, White 2 - Same

Mr_Asa
4/22/21 1:04 p.m.

So, based on this, I'm thinking that B is correct, but something else is borked.  I still wonder if the solenoid needs to be grounded somehow through the body, but I can't see why it would.

APEowner
4/22/21 1:54 p.m.

The data sheet doesn't say what, if anything terminal 3 is connected to.  I'm wondering if it's grounded and you hosed the controller when you hooked up one of the wires to it.

Mr_Asa
4/22/21 2:03 p.m.

The solenoid itself is free floating.  It isn't grounded to the box of the welder, so I'm not sure how #3 could act as a ground.  Unless I'm not following what you're saying, which is possible.  Electrical issues are PFM

APEowner
4/22/21 4:16 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

The solenoid itself is free floating.  It isn't grounded to the box of the welder, so I'm not sure how #3 could act as a ground.  Unless I'm not following what you're saying, which is possible.  Electrical issues are PFM

It's probably not grounded then but it could be connected to one of the other pins which would also make the controller unhappy when you connected the wires incorrectly. 

According to the schematic the arc power and the gas flow are both controlled by the same output (J1 & J2) on the controller.  If you leave the solenoid unplugged (but tucked somewhere that they won't short to anything or each other) do you get an arc? if not then either you've got other wires unplugged or the controller is shot.

Mr_Asa
4/22/21 4:18 p.m.

Hell, I think the controller might be shot, then.

Wonder if I can get another one somewhere.

Edit: This might be it, I need to take the case off of the welder again

https://www.ebay.com/itm/372629006327

Mr_Asa
4/22/21 4:30 p.m.

Thinking about it, I still don't know the terminals of the solenoid.  I could hook them up incorrectly and fry something again with a new board.

APEowner
4/22/21 4:43 p.m.

Even if they're not numbered we should be able to figure out which two are 1 & 2 if you have an ohm meter.

Mr_Asa
4/22/21 4:46 p.m.

Provided I also didn't fry the solenoid somehow, yeah.  I'll take it apart again and check.

Coil should have continuity across it, the extra terminal shouldn't have any continuity with the other two, I would think.

APEowner
4/26/21 9:23 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Provided I also didn't fry the solenoid somehow, yeah.  I'll take it apart again and check.

Coil should have continuity across it, the extra terminal shouldn't have any continuity with the other two, I would think.

Sorry about the slow reply.  I've been busy with race car stuff.

If my theory is correct the third terminal is connected directly to one of the other two but the coil terminals should have around 10 ohms across them.  Have you gotten in there with a light and a mirror or something to be sure that they're not labeled?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
laXsGxekAH5i34ehF1qNUpXyNINnpyt1sd5OxCfxEDl0b6kfrlgtP9UldipnEGZ9