Graefin10
Graefin10 SuperDork
5/1/14 9:38 a.m.

I didn't know about it myself until I saw a TV ad. this morning.

Here's a link if anyone is interested in taking part or spectating.

http://www.bristolmotorspeedway.com/news_media/news_releases/east-tennessee-sports-car-club-solo-autocross-event-comes-bms-sat-may-3rd.html

trucke
trucke Reader
5/1/14 11:09 a.m.

ETR puts on a great event! Those who go will have a blast!

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UberDork
5/1/14 11:14 a.m.

That is awesome!

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
5/1/14 12:11 p.m.

They should set up the course on the actual track, using as much of the oval as possible..

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
5/1/14 12:13 p.m.

It says for an additional $25 after the autocross is over, you get a crack at the oval.

trucke
trucke Reader
5/1/14 12:29 p.m.
novaderrik wrote: They should set up the course on the actual track, using as much of the oval as possible..

Any transitions (which is what autocrss is about) on banking will cause one end the car to loose tracking and shoot you into the wall. Sounds like autocross on a track like this would be fun, until you take your car home on a roll-back.

That said, BMS parking lot is huge!

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
5/1/14 1:02 p.m.

I ran there a couple times over the years. They usually lay out a pretty fast course. There used to be a transition form a newer section of lot to an older section affectionately referred to "the yump". Not sure if that is still there. ETR lost Bristol last year or the year before because the track jacked the price up so high the club couldn't afford it. Sounds like someone has been working hard to get that venue back.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
5/1/14 3:27 p.m.

we've been back there for 2- 3 yrs. now .. but the only way we can afford the rent is if it's a charity event (which this is)

wish I could be there (Lemons race at CMP) … JB always lays out a great course

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
5/1/14 6:49 p.m.

In reply to wbjones:

I guess time fly's when you don't know what you're doing. Seems like my first event with ETR was last year...it was over seven years ago at Adesa

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
5/1/14 7:14 p.m.

I've only been running full time with ETR for 5 yr. and the occasional event for 7 … missed Adesa that yr

whenry
whenry HalfDork
5/1/14 7:42 p.m.

there are 3 places in East Tenn that can be used ONLY for charity events: Bristol, Adesa and Chilhowee Park. Limits the profit for volume events but worth it to be good citizens.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
5/4/14 1:14 p.m.
trucke wrote:
novaderrik wrote: They should set up the course on the actual track, using as much of the oval as possible..
Any transitions (which is what autocrss is about) on banking will cause one end the car to loose tracking and shoot you into the wall. Sounds like autocross on a track like this would be fun, until you take your car home on a roll-back. That said, BMS parking lot is huge!

While not nearly as steep, but they used part of the banking of turns 3 and 4 of the track at the MN state fairgrounds for the autocross course at the Car Craft Summer Nats the first couple of years they had the autocross there and no one hit the wall.. they got squirrelly on the transitions from the apron to the banking and a few cones paid the ultimate price, but isn't controlling the car a part of any kind of racing?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6HqVE2ixeCeVxmBu6yeEjxjqimRq7ySXy34DAh3q5avMshwPiaeP8jnQnx795Mr8