1 2 3
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/7/22 3:21 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:

I have never seen it for sale locally, and all the mail order places show it's not available.

They probably don't make it anymore.

Oh, no!  I sincerely hope you are mistaken.

According to Modern Drunkard Magazine Gallo discontinued it semi-recently.

Pour one out.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/7/22 3:21 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

I have never seen it for sale locally, and all the mail order places show it's not available.

You can still find Thunderbird and Wild Irish Rose.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
6/7/22 3:22 p.m.

Nice to see Thunderbird make that list. Didn't  think it was available anymore 

6/7/22 3:24 p.m.
Peabody said:

Nice to see Thunderbird make that list. Don't think it's available anymore either

It is in East Dallas. You just have to find a seedy convenience store in a questionable neigborhood. You can't get it at 7-11.

6/7/22 3:26 p.m.

So when gas gets up to $10 a gallon we all just stay home from work and drink Thunderbird until the man comes to evict you from your house.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/7/22 3:29 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:
1988RedT2 said:

According to Modern Drunkard Magazine Gallo discontinued it semi-recently.

Pour one out.

Oh, the humanity!

The NTE label was a work of art.  What came in the bottle, not so much.  Even so, I regret not stocking up when I had the chance.  

6/7/22 3:38 p.m.

$15 a gallon gasoline and the Great Depression are coming. It's time to stock up on Night Train and Thunderbird to celebrate the end times.

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
6/7/22 4:00 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

Just took another look at it, and you're not wrong. The ones I follow haven't gone up near 100% yet, but still certainly more than I realized... So I guess I haven't been following that market as closely as I thought either. Talk about a double-whammy.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UltraDork

In reply to Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) :

$2.99 a bottle and it's made from apples so it's basically health food.

That works out to about $15 per gallon so the obvious question is...what's the octane?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork

When filling the Jeep costs 1/5th what I paid for it, it's time to polish all those bikes I bought. 

6/7/22 4:06 p.m.

Here ya go. Destroy your liver in 5 fruity flavors. The one on the end actually looks and tastes like windshield washer fluid.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
6/7/22 4:06 p.m.
RX Reven' said:

In reply to Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) :

$2.99 a bottle and it's made from apples so it's basically health food.

When I was about 15 I'd get a bottle of Country roads apple wine for $1.80, we'd sit around a fire in a local field (that's a mall now) and maybe light a few. That would be over $8 now. That stuff's a bargain.

What's the word?  Thunderbird

What's the price?  Thirty twice

What's the action?  Satisfaction.

Am I dating myself?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/7/22 4:09 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

Everyone has a bum wines phase. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/7/22 6:19 p.m.

My cell phone bill was $400 instead of $115.

I'll be calling them about that...

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/7/22 6:38 p.m.

Pretty much everything. I was shocked that a breakfast biscuits are pretty much $5. A fast food meal, as mentioned, $10 a serving.

Note: I've had food out in the single digits since covid started.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/7/22 6:49 p.m.

I got a gyro fries and lemonade last week at arbys for under ten bucks. #Winning

But yeah groceries are a punch in the dick

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
6/7/22 6:52 p.m.
triumph7 said:
wae said:

My idea of going out to lunch during the workday is about $10.  Granted, I don't do a lot of that in the last two years, but when I was in the office more frequently and we'd all go out to lunch, anything more than $10 had to be pretty special.  Or bought by a vendor, of course.  Occasionally, if I was by myself for lunch and wanted to relax a bit and either get some work done or read a bit, I'd go to Frisch's.  I'd get a Swiss Miss, the salad & sour bar, and splurge on a cherry Coke.  After leaving a tip, it would violate my $10 threshold by a little, but not crazy-town.  A couple months ago, I was working over at the shop and decided to buzz out for something a little different than a Marie Calendar frozen pot pie.  Same order, same quality of the food, but it was more than $20 after tip.  Haven't been back to Frisch's since and I used to go a couple times a month.

Sticker shock?  Go into UDF and look at the fresh donuts... $1.79!  For ONE!  Last time I had got one it was like 89 CENTS.

Yeah, and they aren't as good. I noticed this early on since I take my kids for doughnuts every Saturday morning and at some point they didn't taste the same anymore. Like there was an ingredient they were missing and it never came back.

wae
wae PowerDork
6/7/22 7:16 p.m.
chandler said:
triumph7 said:
wae said:

My idea of going out to lunch during the workday is about $10.  Granted, I don't do a lot of that in the last two years, but when I was in the office more frequently and we'd all go out to lunch, anything more than $10 had to be pretty special.  Or bought by a vendor, of course.  Occasionally, if I was by myself for lunch and wanted to relax a bit and either get some work done or read a bit, I'd go to Frisch's.  I'd get a Swiss Miss, the salad & sour bar, and splurge on a cherry Coke.  After leaving a tip, it would violate my $10 threshold by a little, but not crazy-town.  A couple months ago, I was working over at the shop and decided to buzz out for something a little different than a Marie Calendar frozen pot pie.  Same order, same quality of the food, but it was more than $20 after tip.  Haven't been back to Frisch's since and I used to go a couple times a month.

Sticker shock?  Go into UDF and look at the fresh donuts... $1.79!  For ONE!  Last time I had got one it was like 89 CENTS.

Yeah, and they aren't as good. I noticed this early on since I take my kids for doughnuts every Saturday morning and at some point they didn't taste the same anymore. Like there was an ingredient they were missing and it never came back.

Didn't they recently in-source the doughnuts?  I thought they used to be Busken but then they built their own line and started selling UDF doughnuts.

I haven't tried them since they switched, but I never really bought their doughnuts anyway.  Moonrise isn't too far out of the way and we've got an Emerson's nearby too, so if we're going to splurge on doughnuts we'll go there.  But I'm sure they've gone up in price too....

EDIT: my wife says that they used to be Krispy Kreme, not Busken. 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
6/7/22 8:05 p.m.

[threadjack]I drove across the top of Indiana today (RV Central) and there are loads of brand new RVs sitting in fields.  All the dealers I have gone past in the midwest have their lots absolutely slammed full.  I am not sure where they are all going, but I do know that every Lippert Components chassis passes through a machine that my company built and 90% of the RVs on the road have a Lippert chassis under them, so keep them coming![/threadjack]

I went to Subway in small town Wisconsin 2 weeks ago with my coworker.  The bill for the two of us was $27.XX.  For Subway.  In Waupaca, WI.  And its not like we live the high life either.  

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/7/22 8:12 p.m.

For fast food I suggest you get the app. I can order McDonalds for 3 grown ups an almost teen and a kid for $23. Also if eating alone I can do it for less than $3. McChicken sandwich $1, large fries on the app is $1 (can only use the deal 1x per day) and if you want a soda that's a buck too. I spend twice as much if I try to order off the menu at the drive through or in person. 
also things getting more expensive scares me way less than what's happened to my 401k this year. 

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/7/22 8:46 p.m.

Goetta, a Cincinnati breakfast staple, is $7.49 a tube now.  Was less than $5 before insanity set in.  Seven and a half bucks for a tube of oats, pig lips, and some others fatty stuff.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/7/22 8:48 p.m.

In reply to NY Nick :

Re: McD app once per day.  I have found that 15 minutes later you can use another deal.  Works if you don't mind going inside and getting the $1 drink and special free large fry (with $1 purchase) and eating that first before ordering the special deal cheap burger and eating that "second course."   

Also, when ordering those frys, add BBQ dipping sauce because there is a faux pax where the app doesn't charge for dipping sauces.  

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
6/7/22 8:59 p.m.
NY Nick said:

McChicken. 

The last time I had one of those was 1997.

I don't now why but I remember it like it was yesterday

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/7/22 9:09 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Solid tips. Also they always have a deal with 40 nuggets and 2 large fries for $15. That's hard to beat and easily feeds 4 people. 

Peabody, I suspect it wasn't because you enjoyed it so much! You can also get a McDouble for $2. Which is pretty decent. Add lettuce, tomatoes and Mayo to it and it's a cheap Big Mac ish thing. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/7/22 9:34 p.m.
Peabody said:
NY Nick said:

McChicken. 

The last time I had one of those was 1997.

I don't now why but I remember it like it was yesterday

Painful memories are some of last to fade.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1E43wELEqJty3GbrnulNMgqTfZ8OnS6N1aw2kRvJR2YK6ntwZU2hYwkQkN4RShUX