rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
5/24/22 11:50 p.m.

I'm doing the stunts on an 08 Fit this weekend. So I need to be able to buy locally or get shipped one or two day. 
Normally, for a job I wouldn't do often, I'd just get the tool from HF, but with coil springs, I'm not sure that's a safe solution. I know the auto parts store will rent, but from what I've rented in the past, they're usually not high quality and have been abused. 

I'm probably overthinking it since I doubt the springs are under a ton of pressure and aren't a super high spring rate like on a full size truck. But, figured I'd ask the hive for suggestions. 

-Rob

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/25/22 6:40 a.m.

You're not overthinking. HF units are junk.

I'm happy with Lisle

wae
wae PowerDork
5/25/22 6:58 a.m.

First of all, I want to know what kind of stunts you're going to be doing!

But seriously folks...  I have the basic HF screw-operated spring compressors that are essentially the same as the rent-a-tool that all the FLAPS have to offer.  They ain't great and if I was needing to compress springs on a regular basis I'd probably have something else.  But they don't take up much room, they're inexpensive, and they work fine if you keep them lubed up.  They say never use impact tools on them.  I always use impact tools on them.  I mean, do they expect me to turn that bolt by hand like some kind of peasant?  They've never slipped or anything like that.  The biggest problem I've had is if I put them on a spring that's just sitting there all uncompressed and unattached to anything, sometimes the tool will wind up angled in such a way that I can't get my impact onto the bolt head because the strut body is in the way.  But if I do one side at a time and just move the compressed spring from the old strut to the new, it's no big deal.

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/25/22 7:12 a.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/25/22 8:39 a.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) :

I have one of these sets and it works pretty well.  FWIW, that plastic box is probably larger and heavier than you'll expect it to be.  I have collected a rather silly collection of strut compressing tools over the years.  When I can set it up, my OTC Strut-Tamer works very well, but as an occasional use tool, it's a bit annoying to set-up and use (it's designed to permanently mounted to a wall or cart). 

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
5/25/22 10:14 a.m.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I've never seen the type Cousin Eddie posted, only the ones like the Lisle ones.  Looks like I can order them today to get here this weekend. 

Again, I'm probably over thinking it.  I used the "rental" set when I replaced the shocks on my MINI a number of years ago and it turns out they were only compressed about 1/2", which lessens the danger.  I assume the Fit struts will be under a similarly low compression.

Normally, I'd have just bought the HF ones and sent it, but my kid's been working at a dealership for the past year and he's really nervous about it.  Which makes me nervous because he's done a few more than I have.

-Rob

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/25/22 12:57 p.m.
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) said:

You're not overthinking. HF units are junk.

I'm happy with Lisle

+1 for Lisle, that's what I have always used.  Slightly more time to get them in position, but the positive lock around the coils using U-bolts and nuts is a huge benefit to my peace of mind.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/25/22 5:22 p.m.

Can you get quick struts for the 08 Fit?  Those would come assembled with spring.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
5/25/22 5:57 p.m.
Noddaz said:

Can you get quick struts for the 08 Fit?  Those would come assembled with spring.

Not that I could find.  The KYB's were delivered today and I took Cousin Eddie's suggestion and ordered that tool to arrive tomorrow.  I kinda realized that although I don't do them very often, they weren't "that" much more expensive than most of the others. 

I really do appreciate all the suggestions!

-Rob

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/26/22 7:23 a.m.

My friend has one similar to the one below in his shop.  I've borrowed it a few times and it works well, I feel safer with it than some of the tiny spindly things out there.  Though his is hand held some inner fenders are tight and it's a fight to get it on.  

I've never used one like the Lisle, but some struts just don't appear to have the room between the spring and strut to get a U-bolt in there and fight to get the nuts tight.  YMMV.

Check out NAPA or Auto Zone, they rent those.  Find one you feel safe with, bring it back tomorrow.

porschenut
porschenut HalfDork
5/26/22 8:27 a.m.

I bought the Sealey VS7011 a decade ago, never had an issue using it.  Used to be HF, look on Amazon.

nlevine (Forum Supporter)
nlevine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/26/22 11:26 a.m.

I bought one of the "single-action" spring compressors from Harbor Freight - https://www.harborfreight.com/single-action-strut-spring-compressor-43753.html. Quick to set-up and easy to use (I pulled the strut assembly from the car first). I liked that it was a single bolt to turn to compress the spring evenly.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/26/22 6:42 p.m.

In reply to nlevine (Forum Supporter) :

I have one of those.  I am glad I don't use it often.  It scares me.  It is a cheap copy of the OTC spring compressor.  And I do mean cheap copy.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nkL5myYy8b7U5o0RRavNqRIhS2ukSJbCbtv9OuB1WgH2IzbJJuMnVDlkDP5IBCUM