Sunflowerbw
Sunflowerbw GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/19/22 1:44 p.m.

Hi there. I'm sick of the poorly-fitting random windshield sun shade I have and am ready to spend a little more to try to keep the inside of my car under 147,000 degrees. I know WeatherTech and Covercraft are relevant names, and wanted to see if folks had personal experience and recommendations (including for other brands or solutions).

Thanks!

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/19/22 2:35 p.m.

What car do you have. Are there factory available ones? They usually fit best. 

Besides the factory BMW ones, I have one of these and it is INSANELY good here in the Florida heat. Its made of Tyvek by a company called California Poptop. 

California PopTop

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
6/19/22 3:27 p.m.

I've had the weather tech ones in the past and they fit perfectly, was about to order two more for some new cars.  

Sunflowerbw
6/19/22 3:32 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Thanks! I have an 07 Accord and a 14 Prius V. And just to be clear, I'm thinking about the ones that go inside the windshield for parking during the day and such. Like this kind of situation - Covercraft

XLR99 (Forum Supporter)
XLR99 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/19/22 4:21 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

I was thinking this would be perfect for my RSX, it sits outside, is dark blue with black seats, and usually gets driven once a week. Went to the site and they are out of all stock due to rationing of Tyvek! Bummer

Slippery
6/19/22 5:54 p.m.
Sunflowerbw said:

In reply to Slippery :

Thanks! I have an 07 Accord and a 14 Prius V. And just to be clear, I'm thinking about the ones that go inside the windshield for parking during the day and such. Like this kind of situation - Covercraft

Yeah, I know you wanted the inside ones, I just thought I mention the other one just in case. 

Slippery
6/19/22 6:01 p.m.

In reply to XLR99 (Forum Supporter) :

They are worth waiting for. Between family members and coworkers probably 10 people bought them after seeing mine. It takes 1' to install and remove and it makes a huge difference. Its also waterproof, so if it rains you just shake the water off of it to store it. You can also put it in the clothes washer to clean. 

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/19/22 6:02 p.m.

The Covercraft ones are what I used once I found them.  Custom fit and durable.  Had them for probably a half dozen different cars.  Looks like they've gone up a bit, I seem to recall getting them for about $50, but it's been 3-4 years since I ordered any.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/19/22 8:18 p.m.

We have the Covercraft ones for all of our cars. Every one I've purchased has fit very well except for my 2011 GTI. That one hit one corner of the rear view mirror a bit. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
6/19/22 11:15 p.m.

The fold up fabric ones with metal spring wire have been good for me. Twist them to store. They make them in many size variations. They store easier than the foldup old school ones

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/20/22 6:34 a.m.

Bought my first Weathertech after all of the universals. Exact fit, wedges to the A pillars so I don't even need to hold it in place with sun visors. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/20/22 9:32 a.m.

The folding type that does in your windshield can go a long way, leaving one or more windows slightly cracked open while having a sunshade up helps a lot. The twisting wire types don't tend to keep the heat out as well because they don't have the bubblewrap-like insulating middle layer.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/20/22 9:54 a.m.
TJL (Forum Supporter) said:

The fold up fabric ones with metal spring wire have been good for me. Twist them to store. They make them in many size variations. They store easier than the foldup old school ones

This is what I use. Turns my central Florida car from molten lava to merely pretty spicy. 

Nicole Suddard
Nicole Suddard GRM+ Memberand Marketing Coordinator
6/20/22 10:23 a.m.

I use a Covercraft one in my daily driver and it does a very nice job of keeping the front seats at a temperature that is safe for human interaction even after a long day parked in the sun. I like that it's a solid material that holds its shape and folds neatly - saves me a minute or two of fumbling each day. 

Sunflowerbw
6/20/22 11:29 a.m.

Thanks, all! I ordered a Covercraft for the V and am excited to try it out. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
p0W6wfbEX6BTeu2FURF2XugeznlGSFDuDrA3C4L4jueMrxgHpO6RGj72hqiiLZLY