WilD
WilD HalfDork
4/7/16 8:55 a.m.

I just saw some news about yet another Takata airbag death this morning and it has me a little bit concerned. We received the airbag recall notice last week for my wife's 2007 SAAB 9-3, but the letter also states that parts to fix it are currently unavailable. It seems like just parking the car until a new airbag is available sometime in the unknown future may be a good idea, but it is less than practical. What are people supposed to do with this information?

I guess I should man up and swap cars with her. I think I can handle driving around with that bomb in my face for a while...

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
4/7/16 9:07 a.m.

Nhtsa is recommending no replacement. It's to big a problem.

In all sincerity, you're likely looking at years before you get the airbag replaced under the recall.

Think you've got a seatbelt recall as well.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
4/7/16 9:14 a.m.

It was some time between the initial recall notice say wait and a second notice saying they now have the parts for my dad's Dak.

WilD
WilD HalfDork
4/7/16 9:18 a.m.

So, do you guys feel it is time to dump the car? I realize not every recalled airbag that goes off is going to be a killer, but this seems like such an unnecessary and avoidable risk. I was already thinking about getting a new car, but the Saab was the car we were going to keep another couple of years.

Edit: Just checked out nhtsa.gov and holy smokes, waaaaay more makes and models have been recalled for these airbags than I realized.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/7/16 9:36 a.m.

My Fit is also on the recall list, just got a notice saying parts may not be available until August. While the thought of a shotgun shell potentially going off in my face in an accident enthuses me about as much as anyone else, I don't have much choice in the matter since it's my only car, and I'm closing on my first home purchase and can't make any big financial moves right now. I guess it is what it is for the moment.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/7/16 10:05 a.m.

In reply to pointofdeparture:

When I called the dealer about the notice(because I'm too ADHD to read the entire letter) they said a loaner-vehicle would be provided if we were not willing to drive the car. I passed, figuring we'd end up with some $500 back-lot POS by this point.

slefain
slefain UberDork
4/7/16 10:11 a.m.

So is disabling the air bag an option? Are the seat belts designed to only apply enough tension to slow you down before you smack the air bag? The last wreck I was in that had an air bag deployment my head was nowhere near the deployed air bag, didn't even knock my glasses off. The seatbelt tensioner worked great even though it broke my collar bone.

If it was my car I'd probably be unhooking the air bag, scooting my seat way back and taking my chances with the belts.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
4/7/16 10:23 a.m.
WilD wrote: So, do you guys feel it is time to dump the car?

No. I'm keeping my Saab.

The risk is low. Far lower than a cheaper tin can car.

You can disable the airbag. You'll likely get a dash warning light. Fwiw, the seatbelt is fine all by itself.

There is debate in the inclusion of Saab, as it's not clear if takata airbags were used. Saab's inclusion is more reactionary, from the perspective of "well, we can't say for sure none of the bad takata airbags were used.". At least that's how I understand it.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
4/7/16 10:37 a.m.

Well thanks for that, I didn't realize my Passat was on the list. What is the rate of "defective" airbags anyway? My brother totaled his '05 Saab a few years ago and didn't have any problems so it clearly isn't 100% but is the risk acceptably low? Pay up your life insurance and roll the dice?

cmcgregor
cmcgregor HalfDork
4/7/16 10:59 a.m.

My wife's Fit is also included. She called and got some pushback from the dealer on providing a loaner, but I'm getting more uncomfortable with her driving it around each passing day. Guess I'll have to call and be more persuasive, since the other cars in my fleet are NA Miatas.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/7/16 12:08 p.m.

It's just the drivers-side inflators that are included in the recall, correct? As has been noted above the steering wheel airbag is basically redundant if you wear a seat belt, but the side impact bags are the ones that will truly save your life. Those are the ones I'm worried about.

einy
einy Reader
4/7/16 12:44 p.m.

Oh, awesome ... I now see my 2011 GTI (assuming this is categorized by NHTSA as a Golf) is on the updated list. Super. Hadn't heard squat from VW about that.

Oh well, at least the wife's 2014 Accord isn't (yet).

jjreyn
jjreyn New Reader
4/7/16 1:03 p.m.

Received the notice for the 08 Ridgeline earlier this week. Parts not available until summer.

i am the only driver but had hoped one of the kids would take it over. This would of course then require that I get something else to drive. Obviously will not put anyone else in the drivers seat until fixed, but I do have to get to work.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
4/7/16 1:18 p.m.

For Saab, it's driver side steering wheel airbag only. No others.

As I recall, there have been 12 deaths globally from takata airbags.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/7/16 2:40 p.m.

They recall should just be a recording of "Pop Goes The Weasel" that plays as you slide towards the collision to build a little suspense before you find out if you got an airbag or a mine

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
4/7/16 6:10 p.m.
foxtrapper wrote: For Saab, it's driver side steering wheel airbag only. No others. As I recall, there have been 12 deaths globally from takata airbags.

Not disputing your number but the news just said that this 16yo girl was the 15th death from the airbags.

Jay
Jay UltraDork
4/7/16 6:41 p.m.

Would be nice if you could get the dealer to buy you one as part of the recall. :)

asoduk
asoduk Reader
4/7/16 7:05 p.m.

I have 2 saabs affected by the recall. I'm personally not any more concerned than I was before. Its one of the safest cars ever made otherwise.

slefain
slefain UberDork
4/8/16 8:13 a.m.

For the folks that work at dealerships: are people not coming in to get their airbags replaced? Are parts available but just sitting on a shelf waiting for someone get the repair done?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/8/16 8:31 a.m.

I got a recall notice for one side or the other of my E46 maybe 18 months ago? It said they would contact me when parts became available. Something like a year later I got the notice for the other side. About a month after that, I got the notice that parts were available for the first side. I'm not taking the car in until I get the notice both sides are available. At this point it may not happen before I ditch the car.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3ndSDvNAUIInSDMybp4JVeanWyFWt7n3noHvcsaLIcqgqsNRXj7lsYwuNrSGjYMY