1 2
RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/21/22 10:58 p.m.

Milwaukee is a great city, I lived in the area for 8 years. It's a pretty safe city like others have said, you have to venture pretty deep into the north side of town to find danger.  I really love the airport in Milwaukee, it's not too big, 20 minutes south of downtown and the TSA is generally pretty easy to deal with.

The smaller brewery tours are awesome, I highly recommend Lakefront Brewery, they also have some of the better cheese curds in town. Frozen custard is another Wisconsin staple both Leon's and Kopps are great options and often argued over which is better.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/21/22 11:01 p.m.
tester (Forum Supporter) said:

I was expecting to see Alice Cooper. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o5FT3IGXtAk

I was coming to post this.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/22/22 9:07 p.m.
RacetruckRon said:

Milwaukee is a great city, I lived in the area for 8 years. It's a pretty safe city like others have said, you have to venture pretty deep into the north side of town to find danger.  I really love the airport in Milwaukee, it's not too big, 20 minutes south of downtown and the TSA is generally pretty easy to deal with.

The smaller brewery tours are awesome, I highly recommend Lakefront Brewery, they also have some of the better cheese curds in town. Frozen custard is another Wisconsin staple both Leon's and Kopps are great options and often argued over which is better.

Brewery tour sounds great, definitely adding that to the list

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
9/13/22 11:37 p.m.
pointofdeparture said:

In reply to MyMiatas :

Conejito's definitely does not have the best margaritas in town...unless by "best" you mean "a downright stunning amount of booze for how cheap they are" in which case yes, they are the best wink

It was fun to go there on Friday nights and eat and have a few small margaritas and watch others have only one and get all slurry and giggly.  I had one when I was 18 and was hooked. Never really liked the "normal" margaritas.  I even came up with a formula for closely reproducing them at home. :0)

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/14/22 12:02 a.m.

Milwaukee is probably the best American city per dollar there is. Lived there with my wife for 2 years and had we not wanted to live close to family to raise our kids, we'd still be there. 

It's not ritz and glam, it's honest and hardearned.

The food is top notch, the drinks are stiff, the city is safe, and you'll look at your tab and wonder what they forgot to charge you for.

BelAir cantina was our favorite, but it is a bit out of the way if you're doing third ward stuff. If you can, stop by Buckley's for their "dude" (a take on a white russian, of course).

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/14/22 1:09 a.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

I really want to move there. If our circumstances were slightly different, we would be there already. 

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/14/22 2:18 p.m.
Antihero said:

But according to the interwebs it's not necessarily a safe place to visit. 

I once heard gun fire from my hotel room on the 12th floor of the Ritz in broad daylight.  I looked out of my window to see a guy sprawled out on the ground and the apparent assailant hitting two parked cars while trying to make a U turn is his clapped out Chevy S10.  A sample size of one does not a trend make but...

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/14/22 4:03 p.m.

They have an awesome NBA team and it's cold much of the year. 

That is the extent of my knowledge. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
9/14/22 4:15 p.m.

They call us FIB's - effing Illinois Bastards so we get mad and call them cheeseheads.

They take the cheesehead term and turn it into a whole marketing and souvenir money maker.

So I give them credit - those wacky Germans. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fh90VVQ5vbbwlre23Mqh0stjJRUx4xeTQ1KU5QIDdNJVgMKwrQVGyhvR9wKpJQ6U