1 2
JoeyM
JoeyM New Reader
10/24/08 5:17 p.m.

i'm curious what paths have lead some of you to the decision of "Berkeley it, i'm doin it" and what the results were.

Situation/Path: I was passed over - three times in two years - for better positions at work. I realized that fulfillment doesn't have to come from work, and decided to start on the 1932 datsun replica.

Results: A locost-style frame is coming together nicely

Type Q
Type Q Reader
10/24/08 7:12 p.m.

Berkeley it. I am going to am going to take charge of the FSAE team since no one wants to. Who cares if I am an undergrad business student.

cwh
cwh Dork
10/24/08 8:25 p.m.

Berkeley it= the two most dangerous words in the English language.

Helterskelter
Helterskelter Reader
10/24/08 9:56 p.m.
ClemSparks wrote: My ex had a moment like that: Our second child was born with club foot. I lost my job just days after she was born. We were in a town we hated so the lost job was actually viewed as an opportunity to get out of that town. There is a really great therapy method for club foot that was ONLY available in Dallas TX. The ex said, "That's the help our daughter needs, the girls and I are moving to Dallas next Tuesday, are you going or not?" Of course, I said yes. That was her "Berkeley it, I'm doin' it" moment. We loaded two cars with clothes, dishes, linens, and baby toys (one of them was an '86 Merkur XR4Ti) and headed to DFW without a friend, a place to live, a job...nothing! Our ENTIRE exposure to DFW prior to this was a stop at Whataburger on the way home from spring break many years earlier. Within about 4 days of arriving in DFW I had a fun job in motorsports, we found a good enough place to live, the therapy for the foot went great. I might not give her credit for much, but that move was one that just worked out great on all fronts. The club foot is corrected and you'd never even know it existed. We made new friends, had great experiences, and had no state income tax for that 6 months. Clem

That's a really great story Clem. Glad everything worked out & congradulations.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/25/08 1:35 a.m.

1995 I quit school to go racing. It wasn't a big loss as I was a solid D student, and it did eventually lead to a facinating career in mass transit

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
10/25/08 5:38 a.m.

"fascinating career in mass transit"

Sorry, I just find that amusing. Sounds like a bad late night television career school commercial.

RoadWarrior
RoadWarrior New Reader
10/25/08 8:40 a.m.

Girlfriend left me a little under a month ago to go to germany, broke the lease on our apartment, moved back in with family. Decided that week to buy a miata, and just impulsively decided to take advantage of iceland's economic issues and visit there on the cheap in a little over a week, now I gotta figgure out how to rush my passport renewal...eek.

slefain
slefain Dork
10/25/08 9:48 a.m.

"Berkeley it, I'm not walking"

Said as I sit on the side of 285 at night after having just blown the engine in my '89 Probe Turbo. If you kept your foot to the floor, it would run but it sounded like the anvil chorus and was pounding the bottom end to death. I drove it 3 miles on the side of the road til the next exit and called for a ride.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
10/25/08 10:08 a.m.
RoadWarrior wrote: Girlfriend left me a little under a month ago to go to germany, broke the lease on our apartment, moved back in with family. Decided that week to buy a miata, and just impulsively decided to take advantage of iceland's economic issues and visit there on the cheap in a little over a week, now I gotta figgure out how to rush my passport renewal...eek.

my company has used visaexpress.com a few times, always been quick & easy

Wally
10/26/08 1:37 a.m.
ddavidv wrote: "fascinating career in mass transit" Sorry, I just find that amusing. Sounds like a bad late night television career school commercial.

Gunsmithing and dental hygenist classes were full. You have to look at a job the right way. I like to people watch, and this job allows me to watch people of all types do things that are often unimaginable.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/26/08 1:40 a.m.

People watching is highly under-rated

924guy
924guy HalfDork
10/26/08 8:48 a.m.

saw frankenporche listed in grm classified ads here, made me a bit , er, threw up in my mouth a little... then saw it as parts, repeated to self, must not buy, must not buy, must not..... berkely it, im doing it, now i own it...

saw frankenporsche in back yard, saw 78 in drive way needing brakes (the whole nine yards, front calipers, rear drums)..) while waiting for 4 lug parts to come in mail that i found for $20.. realized frankenporsche brakes and suspension are much better (5 lug, bigger rotors, better calipers, front and rear disks..) and itll bolt right on... berkely it, im doing it...

now i have to figure out what to do with a complete 4 lug suspension assembly...locust suspension anyone?? pulled front brake/strut assemblies off frankenporsche yesterday... they go on the 78 today, will do the rears today if i can..

Wally
10/26/08 6:04 p.m.

$700 to change a windshield and two windows? I'll do it myself. I'm taking it for a windshield tommorow, though the $20 ebay quarter window and $75 junkyard door window only took about 4 hours

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/27/08 5:10 p.m.

Berkeley it, I'm getting a Dell XPS 2010

Mental
Mental SuperDork
10/28/08 9:46 a.m.

Less than a year after seperation, still not "offically divorced" becuase Nebraska requires a year on non-cohabitation, met the girl of my dreams. "I cannot be falling in love with this woman on our first date."

Berkeley it. I love her. Married her, 7 years of pure awesome.

1990, bunch of loud mouth young punks spending late night in a Dunkin Dougnuts when a confrontation supasses stupid into dangerous.

Berkeley it - I'm joining the Air Force. I retire in 4 years. I have three degrees and some pride in who I am.

Almost bankrupt, early stages of divorce, no money, almost 30, offered a scholarship

Berkeley it - I'm going to school full time. yeah. my phone was turned off more than it was on, I ate a LOT of Ramen Noodles and spent more than a few days in the dark becuase the power was turned off, but I did it.

As a life decision, Berkeley it as worked out pretty well for me. I don't buy lottery tickets becuase i feel like all my luck has gone to what I have already managed to accomplish.

The automotive Berkeley its have no worked out as well, but who cares? Those are just cars.

The Clem Spark Berkeley it is quite possibly the greatest story I have read on this board. That just made me feel good. You effin rock.

fasted58
fasted58 Dork
7/26/11 8:18 p.m.

berkeleying canoe

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V2M4hh5l3dUPSwLN3YXlc9O4pfFYN6GTikHPMrYW9Jjz9SkwvoaGLLR755qJGowB