1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
5/28/22 8:27 p.m.

Factory parts or aftermarket? I first bought an aftermarket kit and the fit was awful. I could tell it would not work. I returned it and bought a factory kit and it fit perfectly. Long shot but I figured it was worth checking.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/28/22 8:34 p.m.

Unfortunately, the kit is a factory Honda OEM kit.

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
5/29/22 12:13 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) :

Are the impeller vanes pointing the correct direction?

5/29/22 1:38 p.m.

It was much, much worse than any of those things.

I put the impeller housing on backwards, despite having a manual.

In my head, I was thinking "impeller housing goes towards the right" but of course I had the prop end of the lower unit facing to the left. I looked at this diagram FOUR FREAKING TIMES.

Sometimes we see what we want to see.

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
5/29/22 1:43 p.m.

I’m actually surprised that it’s possible to do that.  You’d figure they would put a locating pin or something similar to keep that from happening. Glad you figured it out. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/29/22 9:23 p.m.

It was a good day. I put several hours on the Shamrock. It ran well, if not flawlessly. It needs an exhaust manifold gasket and some adjustment on the accelerator pump. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
5/29/22 11:32 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Sweet! Glad to see you got it out and Brett I'm glad you got the water pump working. 

Tomorrow (Monday) is our day for breaking the ice on the boat this year. I do not have all my projects done on it but after reconnecting the battery and the gas tank it should be good enough for a day on the water. I'll get it fired up in the morning to be sure. The fam are all looking forward to it. Here's hoping!

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/29/22 11:56 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Be careful on the water tomorrow. It's idiotic boater day. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
5/30/22 12:01 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Oh lord. And Alum Creek is idiotic boater HQ. I'm gonna have to think about this 

5/30/22 12:07 a.m.
dculberson said:

Oh lord. And Alum Creek is idiotic boater HQ. I'm gonna have to think about this 

I'm sorry I brought it up, but it does bear considering. 

Toyman!
5/30/22 7:22 a.m.

Yep. Super glad I'm an hour away from Charleston. The stupid quotient drops rapidly as you get away from tow. 

5/30/22 8:11 a.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Big development in the Shamrock story. Congratulations!

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
5/31/22 8:54 a.m.

The boat launch we usually use is way up at the far end of the big no wake zone so it's usually pretty sleepy. I think we've seen like six boat trailers there at once and have never had to wait for the ramp. This time there was so much traffic all the parking spots were full and there were boats waiting to launch and waiting to come in, and there were dozens of non-tow vehicles and kayak and canoe haulers in the lot. I decided to just wait and still use it and it worked out fine. I like that there's not a bunch of yahoos going 50mph near the ramps. We had an awesome day out on the boat, cruising around, fishing, swimming, and exploring. 

I did my first "oops" - I forgot the bilge plug until the hind end of the boat was in the water. A bystander told me I'd have to pull back out, but fortunately the only circuit I'd wired up was the bilge pump and it wasn't that much water. I put in the plug and turned on the pump and it was clear in no time. Otherwise no hitches with my launch or boat.

The idiocy factor wasn't too high just more crowding than I'm used to. Lots of folk posted up in the middle of the swim cove instead of off to the sides. It makes for a bit of a slalom getting to a spot. Worked out ok though we had a blast we all spent like two hours swimming in the water and like six hours there total. 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/31/22 10:22 a.m.

Because I have a hernia that prevents me from sailing or Kayaking, I have been working on my other boats.  (I have 4)

This is the hatch to my "pulling boat", a Chesapeake Light Craft Expedition Wherry.  I have deviated from the plans quite a bit,  rather than a plywood hatch that fits flush to the deck like on a kayak, I went with something more traditional.  Yes, this is mahogany.

Yes, it still need to be run past my router to round over the edges.  It also needs to have the rare earth magnets installed that hold it down and be varnished.

5/31/22 3:46 p.m.

Out with the old, in with the new.

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
5/31/22 11:30 p.m.

Hooray for flame suppression!

Toyman!
6/1/22 8:11 a.m.

Thanks for the reminder. I didn't have one this weekend. Probably not a good idea after replacing an engine. 

6/1/22 12:50 p.m.

This happened down in Toyman!'s neck of the woods.

https://www.facebook.com/charlestontalks/videos/676305580135652

Toyman!
6/1/22 1:05 p.m.

There are a lot of people that could use some quality instruction on how to safely drive a boat. Impressive that engine had enough power to shove that boat all the way on top of the dock. 

For the most part, I stay away from Charleston Harbor and the surrounding areas as much as possible. The alcohol to gasoline to HP ratio is way too high for me. Especially on a holiday weekend. 

Edit to add: Looks like 7 boating deaths this past weekend nationwide. Last year was an all-time high of 767 deaths for the year. A large majority are caused by drunks.

MattGent
MattGent HalfDork
6/1/22 5:01 p.m.

Spent the weekend on the lake with the tiki pontoon, in Sebring a few miles from the track. Not so busy on the water, some minor shenanigans at the ramp at the end of the weekend. 

Two and a half days of pulling tubes, kneeboard, wakeboards, letting kids drive, I got to slalom a bit. All on around 13 gallons of gas. 

Trailer axle E36 M3 the bed on the way home, but AAA got me home safe. 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/2/22 9:29 a.m.
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) said:

This happened down in Toyman!'s neck of the woods.

https://www.facebook.com/charlestontalks/videos/676305580135652

This is why I generally do not go sailing or kayaking on weekends.  If I do, there is a 1000 acre lake an hour away with a 9hp limit.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
6/16/22 8:57 p.m.

Last weekend was a mixed bag for the first testing, made lots of tweaks for this weekend...but the weather doesn't look like it's going to cooperate. 

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
6/17/22 8:05 p.m.

I'm on the porch waiting for dinner and having a drink, so might as well tell some of the story of my boat.  

My family bought this 1983 Boston Whaler Montauk 17 in 1991.  I was 12.  We have a family house on the water on Cape Cod where I spent my summers, so it is fair to say that this boat and I have been through a lot of adventures together.  Fast forward to 2020, we still have the boat and after years of good maintenance and use the boat is stll good, but starting to show its age as it is still all original on the hull, and has had severl field expedient repairs.  My wife and I decided to do a proper restoration, as she has come to love it as much as I do.  

We were starting from a sound but cosmetically a bit challenged spot, plus plenty of dock rash and whatnot from nearly 40 years of use

We also used it in our wedding

To start, we stripped it down to a bare tub

\

There were some areas that really needed repair

The next two months were brutal, soul sucking, awful times.  The process of sanding, more sanding, repair, sanding, more repair, sanding, fairing, sanding, more fairing, sanding, etc was truly emotionally crushing and took forever. Also add in repairing the console and building  a new console floor, making a platform in front of the console, repairing the transom, replacing the brass through hulls, etc. Then painting, sanding, painting, sanding, painting, sanding, painting, wetsanding, etc etc.   It really almost broke us, as it was going much more slowly than expected and was dragging into summer.  Eventually though, we came out the other side and did get it painted. I used Alexseal finishes which I learned about from Boatworks Today and it was excellent, but requires some knowledge to use.   We had overall good results but as we were getting the last coat on the interior, in late June, it flashed over as a matte finish and I just had it.  We put the boat back together unfinished and just used it.  

Fast forward to 2021 we needed to fix what we did wrong in 2020 and then put down the Isiteek flooring.   So, we stripped it all apart again, and this time I put the paint on with a HVLP sprayer rather than roll and tip.  Unfortuantely the day I had to spray the wind kicked up halfway through and it ended up with lots of dust that we had to wetsand out later, which took a long time.   Here's how we ended up. 

After this, we put the floor together with a template I made and glued it down.  This took a long time. I have no good pictures, I'll get one tomorrow, but here's one that shows a bit

It looks amazing and we are really happy with it.  We used the boat all last year and it was mostly done and looked amazing but needed some finishing touches.  The chrome bits were tired and the engine, a 2005 Tohatsu 90 TLDI was looking worse for wear despite running well.  This winter I had all the chrome bits replated and this spring I repainted the engine in Mercury Verado cold fusion white in a base/clear combo.  It's not perfect, but much better.  Decals are from a 2014 Tohatsu 90 TLDI.  First picture is with base coat on.

So, here's where we are now.  A basically brand new looking 1982 2 owner Montauk 17 that we have owned for 30 years.  I'm really proud of how it turned out, despite the amazing amount of work it was.  Aside from the restoration this is the easiest boat ever to own and I hope to keep it for quite a while longer.  

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
6/17/22 8:46 p.m.

In reply to Sonic :

Fantastic work! 

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
6/17/22 10:52 p.m.

In reply to Sonic :

As the owner of the 1989 version of that boat I say well done!  Mine lives on an island in Lake  Winnipesaukee.  

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
olxNozKOrvFtb7YttGVtt9B051ZYJGTXEwD4nabLKeXki8RpqDzA7kyevcJ00AuO