stroker
stroker UberDork
11/24/21 1:06 p.m.

Which is usually a bad thing, but what if we had a Postal Match for The Hive?  Maybe we could even do it like the Olympics and have several different disciplines.  

Whaddya think?

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
11/24/21 1:29 p.m.

What are you thinking? Just for kicks? Someone build a trophy? Bragging rights? $small$ buy-in  winner gets Venmo?

stroker
stroker UberDork
11/24/21 1:59 p.m.

Oh, for the Inaugural Event I think it's just for testing purposes.  There are so many different possible disciplines the difficulty would be keeping it small...  Straight up bullseye for rifle and handgun with maybe blackpowder musket/rifle might be fun.   I dunno.  Just a thought and an excuse to get to the range for the first time in forever....

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltimaDork
11/24/21 3:27 p.m.

.22 ammo is finally available.   Paper targets at 50 yards.  Best 5 shots?

barefootskater (Shaun)
11/24/21 3:30 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad :

I'd be in on that. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/24/21 3:33 p.m.

Grouping or on target? I can group them with the old mossberg but I can't see E36 M3 through that old lyman peep sight and my eyes at 50 yds. 

stroker
stroker UberDork
11/24/21 4:30 p.m.
KyAllroad said:

.22 ammo is finally available.   Paper targets at 50 yards.  Best 5 shots?

I'm seeing it advertised in limited quantities for $.06/rd...  

wawazat
wawazat Dork
11/24/21 5:09 p.m.

I'm interested though don't have a 22.   9mm pistol and 45 LC rifle both with standard sights.  

Folgers
Folgers New Reader
11/24/21 7:00 p.m.

I’m not up for spending money. 

Im totally in for bragging rights. 

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltimaDork
11/24/21 10:53 p.m.

In reply to stroker :

Wal Mart has had it in stock the last couple of times I've been.   325 boxes for $21 (which is apparently 6 cents a round)

stroker
stroker UberDork
11/24/21 10:54 p.m.
wawazat said:

I'm interested though don't have a 22.   9mm pistol and 45 LC rifle both with standard sights.  

Do you know someone who'd let you borrow theirs?

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/25/21 1:46 a.m.

Where would this take place, though?

I'm in for best five round group with a heart rate over 150 =)

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/25/21 8:29 a.m.

I will keep myself out of this tournament so you all have a chance of winning :)

Also, can it be any .22?  Happy to cheat with my 22-250 with some hot-loaded 36 grain ammo. 4350 fps.  Sounds fair, right?

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/25/21 9:43 a.m.

I only own things that toss 9mm 

stroker
stroker UberDork
11/25/21 10:20 a.m.

Okay, for those unfamiliar with the term "postal match", the idea is that you (wherever you are) commit to shooting a course of fire in a safe circumstance (presumably at your local range) under the terms of The Match (i.e. size of targets, number of rounds fired, distance).  Then you send your targets to the Organizer for scoring and tabulation with the other competitors.  The results are announced and the gloating/trash talk commences.  

Yes, there are many opportunities for cheating.  This would clearly benefit from multiple affidavits certifying the course of fire was conducted properly, etc.  

Personally, shooting an overly easy course of fire sort of defeats the purpose--if you're going out to shoot a ridiculously easy course of fire, then what's the point?  I think there has to be some challenge (see what I did there?) to this, something like 22 rimfire at 200 yards or centerfire with open sights and no optics at X yards.  We can work out the details or preferences depending on the level of interest within The Hive.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
11/25/21 6:14 p.m.

In reply to stroker :

No.  I sold my 22WMR Magnum Research rifle that shot beautifully but fed horribly.  I'm not really in the market for a 22 rifle at this time.  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/25/21 6:20 p.m.

In reply to stroker :

I can tell you that I couldn't see a target at 200 yards with my .22 sights. The rifle would place them there all day.... I just couldn't see it. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
11/25/21 6:42 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

I'm in that same boat. Either of my rifles hold tight well past 100y, but without glass I'm just guessing. 

Turbo_Rev
Turbo_Rev New Reader
11/25/21 6:49 p.m.

I'm in 

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
11/29/21 9:52 a.m.

If we're focusing on open sights, does caliber really have much impact on shooting performance?   I'm asking as I'm a relatively new shooter.   My older eyes agree with what Bob and barefoot wrote above though.  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/29/21 9:56 a.m.

In reply to wawazat :

blade type sights are easier for me than the peep.

barefootcougar
barefootcougar PowerDork
11/29/21 10:14 a.m.

I'm open to any caliber rifle on open sights being classed the same. If we're shooting at 50-100y, there really isn't much difference when it comes to putting holes in paper. Hell, even a .17hmr will reach well past 100 with enough accuracy to compete with anything. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
11/29/21 10:41 a.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

I will keep myself out of this tournament so you all have a chance of winning :)

I call that bold talk for a one eyed fat man!  

But I say the event should be 22 rimfire with open sites. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6EHZJFzIjwLtIy5rVZd19rN1o3z95W7TXsousAy7fxuIalnWNQeCgMdWzOpPrC9j