1 2 3
Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
5/28/09 11:51 a.m.
curtis wrote: Sorry to rant its just this subject just hits close to home. Everyone expected more of me and then i showed them i can make it and now its okay when before i was gonna be a "grease monkey".

There's that societal view again. Amazing, isn't it?

curtis
curtis New Reader
5/28/09 12:30 p.m.

yup.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Reader
5/28/09 1:39 p.m.

I'm proud of what I do. I hope they bury me with grease under my fingernails.

Shawn

captain_napalm
captain_napalm New Reader
5/28/09 1:48 p.m.
curtis wrote: And as for vocational institutes. They are all they same. And by that i mean you take out of it what you will. Votech schools arent for morons who couldnt do any better they just dont give a crap if you learn or not cause you paid already.

College is the same way; they don't give a crap if you learn or not. And there are better looking co-eds to boot.

I'm happy to hear that you are doing well, and doing something you love.

This thread goes to show that as with everything else, YMMV with whatever choices a person decides to make.

Cotton
Cotton Reader
5/28/09 1:58 p.m.

I work in a Corporate environment, but every night when I get home I work in my garage. I come to work with grease under my nails most days. I'm not miserable in my job by any means, I actually like it except for the current work load, but I have thought more than once about trying to make a living at something more along the lines of what I do in my free time.

Buzz Killington
Buzz Killington New Reader
5/28/09 2:13 p.m.
Jensenman wrote: Buzz: Let's don't start THAT debate all over again. We will just have to agree to disagree and if you tick me off I'll resurrect the ThunderTurd and get my co driver to hit y'all with it at the next LeMons South. Anyway, on the subject of social value vs monetary value: they are not really aspects of the same thing. Many entertainers get stinkin' rich selling CDs etc to the general public but then coke kingpins also get rich selling something to the general public. Money is not the sole measure of success or worth to society!

you'd have to catch us first...but the Turd was damn quick...next time we hope to have more than just one gear. besides, who would mistreat a car with a paint job as patriotic as ours? on a related subject, the FX16 (or, as we're calling it, the "CoROLLa") should be back at Kershaw in the fall...the damage from the roll was minimal. they could've had it back in the race if not DQ'd.

re: money and "worth"...i think we agree here, and i'm sorry if i gave a different impression. there's a distinction i'm drawing, but maybe not well.

money is one measure of worth, but it's worth to the person paying the salary, not "value to society." i can say that my skills are worth $X b/c someone is willing to pay me that much for them. does that make me/them more or less socially valuable than someone else? who knows? it's an entirely different thing.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/28/09 7:41 p.m.
Jensenman wrote: BTW, I'm not a mechanic. I'm a service advisor. Which means salesman.

And you take shots at lawyers?

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
5/29/09 7:09 a.m.

Yessir, the Turd was BLAZING fast- while it lasted. Right after the start Toyman and I were standing at the fence watching Tirewarmer come down the front straight and everywhere you could hear people saying: 'What's IN that thing?' I heard an unsubstantiated rumour that the Turd was clocked at ~105 MPH at the end of the front straight and that's when Jay pulled my driver in to tell him 'son you got a lot more motor than brakes'.

We won't be there in September, but next April we will. With Plan B.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
5/29/09 7:19 a.m.
Wally wrote:
Jensenman wrote: BTW, I'm not a mechanic. I'm a service advisor. Which means salesman.
And you take shots at lawyers?

Yup.

Buzz Killington
Buzz Killington New Reader
5/29/09 11:01 a.m.
Jensenman wrote: Yessir, the Turd was BLAZING fast- while it lasted. Right after the start Toyman and I were standing at the fence watching Tirewarmer come down the front straight and everywhere you could hear people saying: 'What's IN that thing?' I heard an unsubstantiated rumour that the Turd was clocked at ~105 MPH at the end of the front straight and that's when Jay pulled my driver in to tell him 'son you got a lot more motor than brakes'. We won't be there in September, but next April we will. With Plan B.

that's funny. i can believe 105 for the Turd...i did not expect that thing to be as quick as it was.

our MR2 won't be back in Sept. we're getting it right for Nelson Ledges. can't wait for that one.

we'll probably be back in SC next spring as well, hopefully with a different car, as the MR2 engine is likely going into Locost duty.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oXm6Iihd8v4JjrlmRbtTYOLEAglx9AEK44fsG46HILwjl78bXOVHiBHqWbb5u8ML