1 2 3 ... 6
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/30/20 7:00 p.m.

So Facebook's AI thinks I need to build a model railroad - I don't. Seriously, that was my childhood & after having everything fro Z-to-G it's not something I have any desire to revisit. But hey, I might as well help enable everyone else who's recently gotten the bug, right?

This looks like a nice HO Atherns Seaboard passenger set with boxes for $80. 

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
11/3/20 12:29 p.m.

Just admit that The Algorithm knows you better than you know yourself and build all of the sets you find.

Because there ain't no way I'm going to click that link and start getting RickRolled with train sets on Marketplace...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/3/20 1:10 p.m.

Actively looking for Kato Nscale Unitrack. I dont Facebook.

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
11/5/20 7:26 p.m.

Soooo . . . this isn't the most creative layout I've ever seen, but has a couple things going for it:

1. The scenery is actually pretty well done.

2. It's $40.  

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3132445816982235

Image may contain: outdoor and water

Image may contain: food

Might be a decent place to start for someone who just wants to run some trains without putting a ton of time into building.

jfryjfry (Forum Supporter)
jfryjfry (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/5/20 8:26 p.m.

Hey guys, I have some small stuff I got a long time ago that I realize I'll never do anything with.  I'd love to get a bit under a fair price for a fellow grmer.   

anyone willing to let me send them some pics for a quick estimate??

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
11/5/20 9:04 p.m.

In reply to jfryjfry (Forum Supporter) :

I'm thinking Slowbird or Appleseed are probably your best resource on older stuff.  I just started building/buying around Christmas time, and I've been working pretty much exclusively with pretty recent stuff.  Happy to look at it if you want to DM me some pics.  Just understand my 2 cents worth is probably 2 cents Canadian at best. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/5/20 9:24 p.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

Dood, is that N scale,?

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
11/5/20 9:25 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Yeah. According to the listing, Chicago area.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/5/20 9:36 p.m.

I'm going to have SWMBO message the guy (I assume it's a dude, aren't we all?) in the next few minutes.  That's a steal. The plywood alone is worth north of $20.

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
11/6/20 12:22 p.m.

So, don't keep us in suspense Appleseed, did you get it?

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
11/6/20 1:42 p.m.
jfryjfry (Forum Supporter) said:

Hey guys, I have some small stuff I got a long time ago that I realize I'll never do anything with.  I'd love to get a bit under a fair price for a fellow grmer.   

anyone willing to let me send them some pics for a quick estimate??

I'm no expert, but I could take a look at it.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/6/20 1:45 p.m.
kazoospec said:

So, don't keep us in suspense Appleseed, did you get it?

I'm leaving in about 15 minutes to go get it. 75 mile round trip, but it should be worth it.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/6/20 3:09 p.m.

Well...it was HO. I have no HO trains. Bummer. If anyone in Chicagoland is looking for a decent HO setup, this is it.

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
11/6/20 3:53 p.m.

Well crap.  Add said N Scale, and I couldn't see anything in the picture that helped clarify the scale.  Sorry to have contributed to a wasted afternoon. frown

jfryjfry (Forum Supporter)
jfryjfry (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/6/20 3:55 p.m.

Shoot me an email and I'll send some pics. I don't have much and nothing looks significant but might be nice additions?

my username at yahoo

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/6/20 4:29 p.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

No worries.  If it was  N Scale , we'd be internet high fiving.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
11/7/20 1:43 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Well...it was HO. I have no HO trains. Bummer. If anyone in Chicagoland is looking for a decent HO setup, this is it.

I should ask my sister to go get it and hold it for me, she lives south of Chicago.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/7/20 12:02 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

Damn, if I'd have realized,  I'd have snagged it and held it for you. Regardless,  I would see if she can grab it. The scenery isnt great, but the track looks well laid. 

Yourself
Yourself New Reader
11/7/20 12:11 p.m.

So when I saw the thread title I stupidly thought...."What model of Rolls Royce is ever considered "cheap"? 

but oh....never mind me. My only trains are Lionel 027 from several decades ago, sitting in a box in the basement. Maybe it is time to get back into model RR?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/7/20 12:53 p.m.

In reply to Yourself :

If anything,  put it under the Christmas tree or Menorah in about a month. 

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
11/12/20 5:38 p.m.

So these seem like the sort of quirky stuff that might appeal to some of you all.  If they are, in fact, DCC equipped, a pretty decent price too.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1042080146275416

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
11/12/20 5:51 p.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

Heck, I'm gonna have to get into N scale too at this rate. I keep seeing cool N scale stuff that I want.

That reminds me. I wonder what scale would be a decent approximation of a small ride-on yard train for HO scale people?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/13/20 12:21 a.m.

In reply to slowbird :

Z. Not cheap by any means.

Do what I'm doing and split the difference. Go HOn30.  Ho scale on N scale track.

I really, really want those 44toners. Wonder if anyone near Chambersburg, PA is willing to snag them?

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/13/20 5:44 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I've never heard of HOn30 before. Is it supposed to be an approximation of HO scale narrow gauge?

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
11/13/20 10:48 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Chambersburg is about 3 hours away from me, but I could maybe work it if you need me to.

1 2 3 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PC1VspDlAccyjdhfptIgCCTnXCN3Du5QwAcpmT3zzr9y5EhDbIArdgvOWKQRJIjF