1 2
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/22 1:15 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Something I've noted about metaverse "real estate," which people are already paying millions for, with talk of "fashion districts": Artificial, meatspace-like constraints on movement will have to be maintained in order to maintain the value of these properties. No space in a virtual environment should be more valuable than any other if you can teleport around at will and/or open portals between spaces, which are totally reasonable things to be able to do in a general-purpose virtual environment.

I recall areas that were valuable yet not restricted in the access sense, playing MU*s over 25 years ago.

I have played online RPGs (Legend of the Green Dragon, because old school) with premium "real estate".

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/22 1:22 p.m.

There's already a lot of value in having the right domain name, and that's without the VR concept of a virtual space. So yeah, it would make sense that some addresses/locations end up being worth more than others even if it's just because it's easier to remember how to get there.  

dclafleur
dclafleur Reader
1/12/22 4:42 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
GameboyRMH said:

Something I've noted about metaverse "real estate," which people are already paying millions for, with talk of "fashion districts": Artificial, meatspace-like constraints on movement will have to be maintained in order to maintain the value of these properties. No space in a virtual environment should be more valuable than any other if you can teleport around at will and/or open portals between spaces, which are totally reasonable things to be able to do in a general-purpose virtual environment.

I recall areas that were valuable yet not restricted in the access sense, playing MU*s over 25 years ago.

I have played online RPGs (Legend of the Green Dragon, because old school) with premium "real estate".

This brings back memories of the first .com boom and companies buying up the houses in Ultima Online. Strange times.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
1/13/22 6:57 a.m.

At 50 one of my first exposures to computers was "Tron".  I was told that we'd get inside computers and have a seamless interface with this crazy virtual world.   

I've been disappointed by computers ever since.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iGxmSBFsoxDVMtU9by7yF8d3U7mF2bLuOUtJ8Kqt6fOuapJ06vsBrnEvDdEPKOC1