1 2 3 4
trucke
trucke SuperDork
11/14/22 3:05 p.m.

My last name is easy.  trucke is short for Truckenbrodt.

Pronounced 'truck-in-brot'

or 

when you are out of money, '_uck-in-broke'.  I used to teach debt elimination classes too!frown

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/14/22 9:28 p.m.

I once took a busload of German foreign exchange students to Niagara falls.  They were getting back on the bus after their boat ride, chuckling about how they rode the "crap boat."  The Maid of the Mist boat that takes you up to the bottom of the falls made them laugh because "mist" in German basically means "crap."

They teased me about how funny the English language is, and I informed them that their language has...

1. Ballkissen
  2. Ausfahrt
  3. Auspuff
  4. Blubberwasser
  5. Fahrtgasse
  6. Warm Kuche

Check and mate.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/15/22 1:31 a.m.

I remember my favorite book store in Tulsa that closed down years ago (it's where I found GRM, Turbo and High Performance, Super Street, etc) as a 17-year old in '99 with an '88 300ZX......hence the screen name. 

I remember always seeing one of those small form, funny books (wish I would have bought one) that the title was "Wut makes you thank Okies tawk funny?"

I don't think I have a thick accent, but over the years, when someone asks for my name, I say "Hall" H-a-l-l" because of how I speak a lot of people think I'm saying "Hull" like the hull of a ship. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/18/22 9:26 a.m.
914Driver said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Yeah, I never understood that one.

From the all-knowing Wikipedia:

The street's name is pronounced "HOW-stən", in contrast to the city of Houston, Texas, whose name is pronounced "HYOO-stən". The street was named for William Houstoun, while the city was named for Sam Houston.[2]

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JBGGVrDwDTQxqtxCRhWFCrWkum6IOk0chcOLjeP6jQ8PSS1SDEXlJPSuk6UUWw1t