1 2
lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
11/2/22 4:47 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTM_9VN2WUw

My dad says Im turning too sharp. Im saying you're not supposed to turn until the car in the right of way turns, and you have a clear path to move. 

edit: he now says he thought the guy was turning right, so im less confused on how this is my fault. If the delete post button worked, I would delete this. but alas here we are. 

Also on the same drive home:

https://youtu.be/CKT6jRzVyjs

the air horn gets used daily. my wife's sequoia doesnt have this issue, but for some reason a mini mazda minivan is a magnet for stupid. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/2/22 4:51 p.m.

The truck is turning onto the main road from a stop sign.  You have right of way.  Assuming you were signaling for your left, they were 100% in the wrong.  If you weren't, they were 90% in the wrong, because they shouldn't have been pulling out until you had cleared their path.

It does look like you were early apexing your turn, but Truck Person is the real culprit in that interaction.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
11/2/22 4:52 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

turn signal was on. I went out and checked to make sure my turn signals worked, based on this reoccurrence. they do. 

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
11/2/22 4:53 p.m.

I'm assuming you had your turn signal on.

It looks to me like the pickup driver was approaching the stop pretty quick - and went beyond the stop line (I couldn't see a painted line, so I'm also assuming the line is the imaginary one, at the base of the stop sign).

I think the other driver was being impatient. 

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/2/22 4:54 p.m.

Maybe it's the optics of the video but it looks like you're cutting the corner a tad? That doesn't make the truck pulling out too early your fault though...

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
11/2/22 5:09 p.m.

In reply to iansane :

the truck being completely past the white line makes it a little harder to see the line for the turn as well. 

wae
wae PowerDork
11/2/22 5:17 p.m.

It appears that you are making that turn as though the apex is the truck's front right tire instead of the front left corner of the truck's bumper.  The driver of the truck may have interpreted that as you trying to let him out as you were making the turn - you cut in tight to the wrong side of the road while he sneaks out.  That said, the truck should not be rolling from the stop until the intersection is clear and you were very much in the intersection.

In the first video, the truck appeared to be in a hurry.  Possibilities that I can think of are that truck driver didn't see your signal and therefore misjudged your speed (thought you were going straight and faster), or truck was trying to fit in a smallish space between you and a car behind you, and needed to cut it close to makle it work.  Was there a car behind you?  It's also possible that other driver judged that you were slowing down faster than you were, and thus expected to be able to turn in front of you.  This happens to me moderately often at specific intersections.  At those intersections,  I usually brake late and signal late to preserve my right of way.  Also, some people are bullies. Truck driver may have been trying to intimidate you into waiting.

In the 2nd video, again the other driver appears to be in a hurry. In this case, other driver simply judged that there was enough space and/or you were going slow enough that other driver could get in front of you. It worked. Do your typical speeds fall to the left side of the distribution? Do you drive something that others could stereotype as a slow driver's car?

And sometimes people just don't see other cars, even if they're more or less trying to.

dps214
dps214 Dork
11/2/22 9:30 p.m.

The optimistic take on the first video is that the truck thought you also had stop sign. In the second video, the car started pulling out with plenty of time then forgot where the throttle was, from the looks of it.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
11/2/22 10:01 p.m.

In reply to Uncle David (Forum Supporter) :

I drive a 2009 Mazda5. It's not the most nimble, but for some reason it makes me more aggressive of a driver. I also drive almost 2 hours every day, so plenty of opportunity for encounters with stupid people.

im pretty sure 14 year old me would be very disappointed with how much 37 year old me loves that mini minivan. 

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
11/3/22 8:50 a.m.

what were you listening to?  was it a youtube video?  Were you watching a video instead of driving?  

turning in too early or not you had the right of way, had you been pulling a large trailer the red truck would have had to backup or cause an accident.  

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/3/22 9:00 a.m.

I've slowly realized over the past 6-8 months or so that everyone has forgotten how to drive since we were all locked in our homes for a year. 

People are more impatient, they no longer look for other drivers and plan for what the other drivers might do, they are slower to react.

Leads to needing to CYA a bit more.

porschenut
porschenut HalfDork
11/3/22 9:08 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

I've slowly realized over the past 6-8 months or so that everyone has forgotten how to drive since we were all locked in our homes for a year. 

People are more impatient, they no longer look for other drivers and plan for what the other drivers might do, they are slower to react.

This.  Stopped riding a bicycle on the road for this reason.  Seeing driving habits degrade beyond belief in the last few years.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/3/22 10:50 a.m.

People stop at stop signs on your area? Lucky.

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
11/3/22 11:11 a.m.
porschenut said:
Mr_Asa said:

This.  Stopped riding a bicycle on the road for this reason.  Seeing driving habits degrade beyond belief in the last few years.  

Statistically, the amount of accidents is not really changing from pre-covid. We are back to where we were prior to covid.

With respect to the video, yes you are cutting the turn too tight. However, if the other driver is pulling out from the stop sign before you have completed your turn that is their liability.

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
11/3/22 11:19 a.m.

Add me to team "yes, you are turning too early / not tight enough".

Mr_Asa said:

That was over 2 years ago, and it was more like 40 days.  People never knew how to drive.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
11/3/22 11:29 a.m.
red_stapler said:
Mr_Asa said:

That was over 2 years ago, and it was more like 40 days.  People never knew how to drive.

Depends on what state/metropolitan area you lived in at the time. I had months of glorious low/no traffic on my commute.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
11/3/22 11:39 a.m.
clutchsmoke said:
red_stapler said:
Mr_Asa said:

Depends on what state/metropolitan area you lived in at the time. I had months of glorious low/no traffic on my commute.

I think that's potentially an issue as well. Many people drove less, and the ones that were on the roads got pretty used to having fewer people around/less enforcement.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/3/22 12:22 p.m.
red_stapler said:

Add me to team "yes, you are turning too early / not tight enough".

Mr_Asa said:

For you, maybe.  For a whole helluva lot of other people it wasn't.  Tampa traffic was drastically changed for a solid year starting summer of 2020

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/3/22 2:21 p.m.

In reply to lnlogauge :

Add me into the camp of those that think you turned a bit early/cut a bit close to the inside of your turn.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
11/3/22 2:57 p.m.

*Edited to remove content considered offensive by the OP.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/3/22 6:25 p.m.

DE instructor here. You did not appear to turn in too early though you could have turned later just because. Knowing the corner and anticipating the actions of the other driver are your best defense. Using the horn adds nothing to the situation. The other driver was not attentive to their position and looked to be impatient and ready to roll through the stop. Probably distracted. Just move along.

In the second you could easily see the Monte coming as in the first video. Lifting and covering the brake to slow would have been the appropriate response. Again honking adds nothing to the situation. It's just a aural middle finger. 

If you go out expecting to get cut off then you can be more accepting that it will happen. It's nothing personal. Doesn't make it right either. But, we're all the other driver at some point. And, driving is about more than just not hitting things. It's also about not letting things hit you too. That's real proactive defensive driving.

Honsch
Honsch Reader
11/4/22 2:24 a.m.

On that first video, you turned on  your turn signal too late and cut in early.
I heard two clicks before you hit your brakes.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
11/4/22 2:59 a.m.

I really wish I could delete this post. 

1988RedT2 said:

I'm with others on the first vid.  Even if the truck makes his right turn there, his truck shouldn't enter your flight path.

On the second, I'm wondering if your speed was appropriate for the road?  Were you in excess of the posted limit?  Lots of people pull out when they shouldn't for a variety of reasons--impatient, old, careless, etc.

He was turning left, which absolutely is gonna cross my path. Second video, I expected him to get in the right lane out of my path, but that didn't happen. Speed limit is 45mph, I was going 50.

the pile on critiques actually do get old. There's a lot of conclusions being made from a 15 second clip that is clearly not my fault. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/4/22 7:57 a.m.

The 1st one:   If you draw the red truck's double yellow line out to meet your double yellow, that's your apex.  If the truck was pulling even a car trailer and needed room to keep the trailer on the road, he's entitled to that room and you would be at fault.

2nd one:  The car could have come out with more gutso, and (if) he realized what happened, should have gone to the right.

Had a guy shave my chin at a four-way-stop.  I was looking left from my motorcycle, when I looked right I was looking right into the driver's window.  "HEY!!"  Driver yelled back "Sorry".  He was turning left in front of a truck opposite him that had stopped.  He wanted to get the jump over the truck.  Glad I had a good grip on the clutch lever.  =~ )

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0fhSzUP4XWw6EQJrPrdmmDZcQ8jzosaCBcOk7dmhQ6a5CAEtyhGcAIZdthpKbek3