1 2
Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/24/08 8:05 p.m.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/376274_nakedbikes25.html

Nude ride results in naked assault on B.C. police THE ASSOCIATED PRESS VANCOUVER, B.C. -- Naked cyclists converged on Vancouver's main police station Saturday after a man was arrested with his 3-year-old son during a nude ride earlier in the day. Naked Bike Ride spokesman Conrad Schmidt said six squad cars and a paddy wagon showed up as the group of about 75 naked cyclists arrived along the city's English Bay. Vancouver Police Constable Jana McGuinness told The Canadian Press that several people called police, concerned about the child's well-being. Police arrived and reached an agreement with the man that both he and his child would wear underwear during the ride. But as he left to join the group on the ride, the man stripped his and his son's clothes off. The father was then arrested at the scene of the bike ride under public nudity laws. Schmidt said the boy was in tears as police took him and his father away, and the arrest prompted the group to cycle through downtown Vancouver to the police station. But not all the cyclists who made the trip supported the protest. "The leaders of this event do not support what the guy did," once cyclist who declined to give her name told The Canadian Press. "I think that's wrong. The kid's a minor." McGuinness said it appeared the man afterward regretted his actions. "When they were leaving (the scene) it was under the understanding that perhaps he hadn't shown the best judgment; there were a number of people that took offense to the child being naked in the group and subjected to people's scrutiny," she said. "It sounds like it's been a good lesson all around."
ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords New Reader
8/24/08 8:52 p.m.

that guy should be in jail

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/24/08 9:28 p.m.

what's wrong with nudity.. as long as that was all that was happening. The nude body is innocent.. it what we do with it that makes it naughty

nderwater
nderwater New Reader
8/24/08 11:25 p.m.

child abuse to be naked, wtf?

ww
ww Dork
8/25/08 12:31 a.m.

Damn, I'm in trouble, my 3 year old and 5 year old don't pass up an opportunity to strip down and run around the back yard naked in the sprinkler... It's probably going to be a long jail sentence for me...

alfadriver
alfadriver Reader
8/25/08 7:24 a.m.
MGAMGB wrote: Harry the pedophile says, "Yes, what's wrong with nudity..especially small boys." Are you serious? Perhaps there are people that don't want to be forced see naked cyclists and perhaps they don't want their children subjected to it either. And the naked boy, child abuse like that is so wrong it doesn't even need discussion.

Uh... you don't have to look.

Perhaps you have a reason to look and stare?

ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords New Reader
8/25/08 7:45 a.m.

Perhaps some of you never learned the adage "There is a time and a place for everything".

slantvaliant
slantvaliant New Reader
8/25/08 8:29 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: Perhaps you have a reason to look and stare?

It's called responsible driving. Bicycles, motorcycles, pedestrians ... gotta track all of them in the vicinity.

People out to make a point are even more likely to be erratic in their actions, and I'd say that naked bicyclists have something to say.

By the way, was the kid wearing a bike helmet?

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
8/25/08 9:43 a.m.

Oh the humanity.... naked people!

alfadriver
alfadriver Reader
8/25/08 10:25 a.m.
MGAMGB wrote:
alfadriver wrote: Uh... you don't have to look. Perhaps you have a reason to look and stare?
Well, I can't argue brilliance like that. Yup, averting your eyes, that's the perfect solution to a problem that shouldn't exist. I'm guessing you don't have kids.

No, I don't. So explain to me why naked people are so evil.

Must we see "sex" in everything?

E-

aircooled
aircooled Dork
8/25/08 10:39 a.m.

Teach them to be ashamed of there bodies, that will really work out for them later in life... and that whole "repression of sex" thing, that's always nice...

....puritanical crap.

joey48442
joey48442 Dork
8/25/08 10:57 a.m.

Its wrong. The child seat is located right on the back of the bicycle, so that the poor little 3 year old bastard has to stare at his dads stinky star any time the bike goes up hill. Thats just nasty, and will probably scar the kid for life. Besides, a ride like that forces people to see these people naked. Thats not good, as there is probably only about 5 percent of the population I would want to see naked, and most of those people are not cyclists. There is nothing wrong with nudity, I just dont want to be forced into it. There is nothing wrong with shooting guns, but I dont want someone doing out on the streets, either.

Joey

walterj
walterj HalfDork
8/25/08 11:19 a.m.
joey48442 wrote: The child seat is located right on the back of the bicycle, so that the poor little 3 year old bastard has to stare at his dads stinky star any time the bike goes up hill.

LOL! Stinky-star... this is the best argument for why its wrong I've read yet.

I have two kids who think they were born naked - I myself was born wearing a nice gaberdine 3 piece suit and have no a$$hole to speak of.

Josh
Josh Reader
8/25/08 11:37 a.m.
MGAMGB wrote: naked adult strip the clothes off a crying boy while other naked adults watch .

I have no real opinion about this situation, but you keep saying this and the article does NOT support your accounts of the event you did not witness. It says the kid was crying as his father was led away by police, which seems a whole lot more likely anyhow. The kid was probably crying because they took his dad away, not because he was naked. And why must you also assume that the other adults are all "watching". Sheesh.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
8/25/08 11:42 a.m.

On another note, it seems to me that chafing would be a serious problem when naked cycling.

Salanis
Salanis Dork
8/25/08 11:49 a.m.
aircooled wrote: Teach them to be ashamed of there bodies, that will really work out for them later in life... and that whole "repression of sex" thing, that's always nice... ....puritanical crap.

On an interesting note: the puritans were not prudish when it came to sex. They were actually very open and accepting about it. Teens having sex before marriage was common. Course, if ya got pregnant, you were expected to marry.

It was the Victorians we got our prudish feelings about sex from. Ever notice all all Victorian furniture has long draping skirts covering the elegant and ornately carved feet? That was because there were afraid young men might become stimulated observing a curved chair leg.

From the puritans, we got our sense of entitlement and that people who accumulate more money are inherently superior people. The puritans were actually incredibly vein and obsessed with accumulating and displaying wealth. But there were not sexual prudes.

doitover
doitover Reader
8/25/08 12:28 p.m.

regardless of how prudish people up there may be, the father knew they were going against the accepted social norms and he should have left his son out of it.

walterj
walterj HalfDork
8/25/08 1:01 p.m.

When did breaking an accepted social norm become a moral outrage?

There isn't anything sexual about nudists except that it creeps out people with sexual hangups who assume they are all just a big steaming pile of orgy waiting to happen. They are really mostly unattractive hippy types who don't see what was wrong with the box you came in (pun intended for the slow-wits out there)

I'm pretty sure home-schooling is breaking an accepted social norm but you don't suggest we haul all those child-abusing wierdos off to the pokey do ya? I mean... its not abuse to tell your kids that the world is only 6k yrs old and Jesus rode a dinosaur, or that there is a magic man in the sky who will burn you in hell if you don't follow his rules or that its OK to kill as long as you are in the Army so how the hell can biking bare-assed thru the park even be on the list? You know what used to be accepted social norms? Slavery. Arranged Marriage. Wearing silly hats. Nobody misses them except a few odd people who are free to wax nostalgic for a nice Fedora all they want.

MYOB and STFU.

Salanis
Salanis Dork
8/25/08 1:24 p.m.

You're not subjecting people with differing moral codes to your own when you homeschool. (Not saying I have a problem with it, but many people do.)

It is common practice in this country to teach your kids that there's a magic man in the sky who will barbecue your ass.

I wax nostalgic for a nice fedora. There's something about an elegant hat that just makes a gentleman look quite dapper. I had one in college, but it got stolen. My interest in wearing hats has diminished since I've started driving a convertible more though.

joey48442
joey48442 Dork
8/25/08 1:27 p.m.
walterj wrote: I'm pretty sure home-schooling is breaking an accepted social norm but you don't suggest we haul all those child-abusing wierdos off to the pokey do ya? I mean... its not abuse to tell your kids that the world is only 6k yrs old and Jesus rode a dinosaur, or that there is a magic man in the sky who will burn you in hell if you don't follow his rules or that its OK to kill as long as you are in the Army so how the hell can biking bare-assed thru the park even be on the list? You know what used to be accepted social norms? Slavery. Arranged Marriage. Wearing silly hats. Nobody misses them except a few odd people who are free to wax nostalgic for a nice Fedora all they want. MYOB and STFU.

Wow. Awesome rant!

Joey

walterj
walterj HalfDork
8/25/08 1:33 p.m.
Salanis wrote: You're not subjecting people with differing moral codes to your own when you homeschool.

I wasn't judging... just pointing out that its something people do that is considered outside the norm... like nude cycling or telling your kids they will burn for an eternity for rubbin' one out to the Victoria's Secret catalog. Oops... that last one is pretty normal.

Salanis wrote: I wax nostalgic for a nice fedora. There's something about an elegant hat that just makes a gentleman look quite dapper. I had one in college, but it got stolen. My interest in wearing hats has diminished since I've started driving a convertible more though.

I hear ya... I am fond of a good hat with a brim. Perhaps something with a chinstrap for the vert... a nice Stetson can be worn with a swagger.

Salanis
Salanis Dork
8/25/08 1:44 p.m.
walterj wrote: I hear ya... I am fond of a good hat with a brim. Perhaps something with a chinstrap for the vert... a nice Stetson can be worn with a swagger.

One of my goals in life is to own a car that will allow me to get away with wearing leather-rimmed goggles over a backwards motoring cap, leather gloves with holes in the knuckles, and an ascot or silk scarf. I will keep a jar of Grey Poupon under the passenger seat to preempt people who think they're clever.

walterj
walterj HalfDork
8/25/08 2:09 p.m.

The 1930s Buggatis are a bit expensive but an old bmw motorcycle with a sidecar would do it

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
8/25/08 2:13 p.m.

Caterham used to sell the leather rimmed goggles. Sadly, they seem to have disappeared from the site.

Schmidlap
Schmidlap New Reader
8/25/08 6:15 p.m.

The leather goggles are still out there. My brother saw some last Christmas and was going to get some for him, me and my younger brother but at the time thought that $40 each was a little much for a joke gift. He said that the next day he regretted not getting them but couldn't make it back to the store to get them. When he finally made it back a couple weeks later they were gone. I'm hoping I can find them this year.

Getting back on topic, regardless of what I think about public nudity, I think the father was a moron. He took his 3 year old son to participate in an illegal activity. The cops gave him an option to participate in the ride with his son (they could ride if they both wore underwear) but he went back on his agreement with the cops and did the illegal act anyways. That is incredibly irresponsible parenting and he should be punished for it.

Bob

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
So6z2dcKRbfvsKXMKjjIlfEAVcikq0mh06moKh7zgvBqAGsAJyLMV4DKBQnvz6Ji