David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/14/22 12:50 p.m.

Ever bury one?

We hid one in our dorm at the end of my junior year. It just contained a few items that summed up our year together on that hall. We popped a ceiling tile in the center of the hallway and attached it to a pipe or some conduit.

Is it still there all these years later? A friend's daughter now lives in that very dorm, so maybe that's my in for checking it out.

Anyone else ever planted one? 

Sarah Young
Sarah Young Copy & Design Editor
11/14/22 12:56 p.m.

I wrote a note detailing what was going on in my house at the exact moment of writing, then stuck it through a crack in the kitchen cabinets. Basically, I wrote a note to whoever remodeled the kitchen years later.

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
11/14/22 1:16 p.m.

In reply to Sarah Young :

I'm imagining a future where lol has lost the current meaning.

Sarah Young
11/14/22 1:19 p.m.
j_tso said:

Leave [the floors] O Lone!

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/14/22 1:27 p.m.

I'm bummed that we (er, I) got too Kermit-arms during the latter stages to put together a note and/or pics to stick in the wall before drywall in the new shop. It'd be a neat way for someone decades later to find out some of the story of what used to happen there.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/14/22 1:33 p.m.

I plan on burying a Halloween skeleton under my patio when we pour it next spring.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
11/14/22 1:39 p.m.
j_tso said:

Reminds me of an article in a car magazine where a guy was restoring an all-original '71 Mach 1. He peeled the seat cover off, and written on the foam by an assembly line worker was "Put your fat ass here, Bob."

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/14/22 1:51 p.m.
Appleseed said:

I plan on burying a Halloween skeleton under my patio when we pour it next spring.

Not exactly a time capsule, but it does remind me that when pouring a footing for a post at the old shop, I chucked in a friend's misbehaving bass pickup that'd been giving me grief. I suppose it may eventually be discovered and cause some puzzling.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/14/22 1:51 p.m.

We found one on a submarine of all places. It was pretty cool. It was just a piece of paper that had been used by multiple sailors to document a little of what they did at a given date. One was about unloading on Iraq and heading to reload. Another was an "I LOVE the Navy!" as an April Fool's. It spanned about 12 years.

I also found a diarama (sp?) depicting a battle between green and tan army men. It was pretty cool.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/14/22 2:16 p.m.

My brothers roommate put a packed bowl and a lighter beneath one of the floorboards in their frat house. His plan is to go back there at some homecoming, walk in without saying anything, pull up the floorboard, and light up. 

I question whether the lighter will still work and whether the product will still be consumable, but kinda funny to me. 

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/14/22 2:34 p.m.

I'm friends with a retired Grumman engineer and he told me technicians had placed cartoon pron underneath the gold foil insulation on some of the LEM's.

"We do this not because it's easy but because it's funny as E36 M3" 

Lunar Module - Space Foundation Discovery Center

I have a note of encouragement for my daughter Sarah placed in the first coin operated binocular she'd service if something bad happens to me. 

Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
11/14/22 3:00 p.m.

Does an Upper Decker count?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/14/22 3:47 p.m.

In every building I've ever built or remodeled, there's an empty cigarette pack with my name, number, and the date ticked into the studs. No one has called yet

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
11/15/22 1:32 a.m.

In the early 2000's I was working for a friend's construction buisness. We were converting a strip mall into a day care? something like that, doesn't matter.

When we tore out one of the walls we found a mason jar  with a photograph of six dudes, on the back was their names and the dates they worked on the building. We tucked it aside until we finished the job, added a similar photo of ourselves and sealed it back into a wall.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/15/22 2:26 a.m.
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself said:

Does an Upper Decker count?

Time capsule, not time bomb. Nuances.

Sarah Young
11/15/22 10:23 a.m.
AClockworkGarage said:

In the early 2000's I was working for a friend's construction buisness. We were converting a strip mall into a day care? something like that, doesn't matter.

When we tore out one of the walls we found a mason jar  with a photograph of six dudes, on the back was their names and the dates they worked on the building. We tucked it aside until we finished the job, added a similar photo of ourselves and sealed it back into a wall.

Very cool.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/15/22 10:31 a.m.
mtn said:

My brothers roommate put a packed bowl and a lighter beneath one of the floorboards in their frat house. His plan is to go back there at some homecoming, walk in without saying anything, pull up the floorboard, and light up. 

I question whether the lighter will still work and whether the product will still be consumable, but kinda funny to me. 

The lighter will work. The product will have dried to the point it will burn away in one hit and taste like garbage, and probably leave the smoker in a non fun coughing fit. 

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
11/15/22 10:44 a.m.

I wrote this note, attached the kitchen contractors estimate and then put it into this ziplock bag. I dropped it between two cabinets right before the granite countertops were installed. Who knows when somebody will find this. The kitchen that we pulled out was installed when the house was built in 1954.

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/15/22 10:49 a.m.

A friend of mine has left notes on the inside of many of the engines he has rebuilt over the years. Usually mocking the next person that has to get into them.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/15/22 10:58 a.m.
RevRico said:
mtn said:

The lighter will work. The product will have dried to the point it will burn away in one hit and taste like garbage, and probably leave the smoker in a non fun coughing fit. 

You'd think the lighter would work, but my MIL has a ziplock bag full of lighters from when she quit smoking around 15 years ago. 9/10 of them don't work because, for whatever reason, the flint rollers will not turn at all. I'm assuming something has corroded just enough to stop them from moving. 

bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
11/15/22 12:46 p.m.

As a residential remodeling contractor we would routinely add a little trinket for "carpenters of the future" before sealing up a wall - a plastic wrapped newspaper was a popular choice, but really anything that had some connection to that point in time.

Similarly we would find stuff during demolition and some of the most interesting items were old packaging and consumer goods,  a late 30's beer can or 19th century empty soap carton was a very cool find.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/15/22 12:54 p.m.
RX Reven' said:

I'm friends with a retired Grumman engineer and he told me technicians had placed cartoon pron underneath the gold foil insulation on some of the LEM's.

"We do this not because it's easy but because it's funny as E36 M3" 

Lunar Module - Space Foundation Discovery Center

I have a note of encouragement for my daughter Sarah placed in the first coin operated binocular she'd service if something bad happens to me. 

It wasn't just under the insulation.

https://aphelis.net/seen-any-interesting-hills-valley-playmates-on-the-moon-1969/

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/15/22 12:55 p.m.

I left this inside some shelving I built around a new window earlier this year. The car is glued down so it won't rattle.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
11/16/22 1:56 p.m.

Always try to do a few fun things when in the middle of a project.  Makes life more interesting.

• Found and reburied a plastic Jesus under the front porch.  I believe its actually some sort of good luck/religious thing but I am not religious.  I am also not one to tempt fate.  
  • Buried a plastic peanut butter jar with me and my wife's picture, a note to the future owner, a current year quarter, and maybe something else under the threshold step in our rear stone patio.
  • Wife and I signed the walls behind the garage cabinets
  • Wife and I wrote a big note under the flooring in our basement.  Something to the effect of "this was a lot of work, why did you take it apart.
  • Painted a giant (like 4 feet across) green Troll Face on the ceiling of my friend's house he was renovating as he screwed new drywall over some real questionable lath and plaster work.  
    • Same friend when we saw his stack was totally messed up and he asked what to do, "you cover it back up and pretend you never saw it".  Another reason to not buy a flip house.

We also signed the walls in a cabin we stayed at that was partially being renovated (we knew before we stayed there) - signed on the underside of the window framing.

I put two coins from Mexico in the concrete footer I poured for my small garage right near the man door. 

My dad put a quarter in the new concrete sidewalk out front.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FyIA7R0tCP0MK573f2MJL1oXTqR8g1X501BOLSi06lLj8a8DQLc750ie1MYdaPe6