vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/23/21 10:50 a.m.

A little backstory. In January my wife and I were considering adding a 5th dog to our pack (2 salukis, a greyhound, and a whippet/saluki mix). Unfortunately, Heidi saluki passed suddenly in February from hemangiosarcoma so we put off getting another as we dealt with the heartbreak of losing a dog seemingly in perfect health. My wife had her eye on a greyhound or whippet being rescued from the Chinese meat trade. After many delays some of those dogs made it to he US. She picked a dog and we waited for it to clear health concerns. After a few months the dog was cleared so we made arrangements to meet the dog with our pack. Then Dylan had to be euthanized in June due to his deteriorating spine. He was a tripod and it became too much of a struggle for him with the pain. So we were now at two dogs. Then two days before we were to see the new dog we get an email telling us it was on hold for another family! No warning. My wife was triple heartbroken at this point. 

So we found a little saluki girl (rescue from Qatar) that's being fostered in Indianapolis. They've agreed to meet part way. I'm leaving early Sunday morning. Should be a 12 hour drive. I'll meet them Monday morning, then turn around and head back. Going to split the return trip in two.

Wish me luck!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/23/21 11:25 a.m.

My sister had the same thing happen with a dog from China and another from Qatar.  

I'm kidding.  What a unique story line!  

Best of luck on your travels.  

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
7/23/21 12:03 p.m.

Our new dog came from Columbus as well, of course that's only 1.5 hours for me.

Good luck with the dog!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/23/21 12:22 p.m.

Good luck. This weekend we celebrate one year with our rescue. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/23/21 12:22 p.m.

I get it.

Two days after losing Stella Trish said "It's too quiet, we haven't been on vacation in two years and I've got $20,000 in my underwear drawer, I'm getting a dog!  (for $20k I can build one).

She went to our son's in CT.  Early the next morning flew LaGuardia to Atlanta, drove to Tennessee and back, then flew home all in one day.

I get it ....

RustBeltSherpa
RustBeltSherpa New Reader
7/24/21 3:41 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

Wish we could meet up tomorrow after our exchange of Corvette model parts last summer. We're actually headed west early tomorrow morning. Best wishes on you new addition and safe travels.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VQ54hOGhsmXsQBSY1ah0vrisMjacRW8nv0yPxm7aEcCnMuNKMQDDgRr90ZhoTOXP