1 ... 163 164 165 166 167 ... 212
914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/6/22 2:04 p.m.

Looking into registering a car in CT, I learned Connecticut issues drivers licenses to illegal immigrants.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/9/22 9:28 a.m.

TIL that speed shifting a 10 year old VW can total it.

No 5 speed transmissions used anywhere in the US.  Parts are not available.  $7k to get a VW Remanufactured unit and install it.

Ouch.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/9/22 6:43 p.m.

TIL that the Chrysler 300 was sold in Europe as a Lancia Thema

RossD
RossD MegaDork
5/9/22 7:56 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

So a M-B W211 and W220, became Chrysler 300, then a Lancia. Did the Lancia get the Hemi? 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/9/22 8:44 p.m.

In reply to RossD :

Nope, just the 3.6L and a VM Motori 3.0L turbodiesel V6 that Europe got in the LX chassis but the US didn't. In theory though, one could put a 5.7L, or 6.1L, or 6.4L, or Hellcat.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Dork
5/9/22 9:07 p.m.
NickD said:

Yep, Lancia is Mopar. I was even on the official Lancia website and there was the big M Mopar logo in the parts section.

Pete. (l33t FS)
5/10/22 7:06 a.m.
NickD said:

Corroded wheels, check. 

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/15/22 3:47 p.m.

I just learned Cyclekarts are a thing that exists. I'm still reading, but generally, 250lb, single seat prewar racecar miniature cars built for a challenge-like budget with more emphasis on looks than performance.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/18/22 12:46 a.m.

TIL that fetus MRIs are pure, hellish, nightmare fuel .

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/18/22 8:11 a.m.

Cruising in Connecticut at 75 - 78mph, I  got lane splitted by a row of Harleys.  None of them had license plates.

TIL the cops are instructed not to chase bikes citing public safety.  No plate, no radio calls ahead?  I dunno.  Sounds like Mad Max time.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/18/22 8:16 a.m.

TIL (well, YIL) that National made at least one steel bass guitar/ bass dobro.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/18/22 8:17 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

When I was in college I worked part-time for the campus PD. I got my first motorcycle and one of the officers told me that if I ever got lit up to just take off. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/18/22 9:21 a.m.
914Driver said:

Cruising in Connecticut at 75 - 78mph, I  got lane splitted by a row of Harleys.  None of them had license plates.

TIL the cops are instructed not to chase bikes citing public safety.  No plate, no radio calls ahead?  I dunno.  Sounds like Mad Max time.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/18/22 9:25 a.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to 914Driver :

When I was in college I worked part-time for the campus PD. I got my first motorcycle and one of the officers told me that if I ever got lit up to just take off. 

One of my cousins recently passed away (RIP Michael). 

At the funeral one of his motorcycle club buddies came up to speak.    He told us he was there the day Michael earned his 200mph patch on his Hayabusa.

I remember Michael telling me one time that the club rules were never go below twice the speed limit on a ride, I think that was an exaggeration considering the speed limit on many roads in Texas is 75mph (Interstate, 4 lane, and 2 lane blacktop).   Their ticket avoidance scheme was speed off until out of sight of the cop, drive into the woods, lay the bike down, and wait for the cops to give up.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/18/22 9:29 a.m.

Or, you know, you could try just not being an shiny happy person on public roads.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/18/22 10:49 p.m.

TIL that sunburst Miatas were first painted white and then pulled off the line before clear coat.  Next morning they would be painted yellow in the first run of the day.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/18/22 11:04 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Yellow paint of all types has notoriously bad coverage, so I'm sure the white base coat helped with opacity.

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
5/19/22 10:24 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

TIL that steel bass guitars/dobros existed...

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/19/22 1:27 p.m.

TIL that the platform for the Dodge Journey dates from 1994, and it basically had a dodge neon drivetrain as the base engine and transmission up until production ended in 2020

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/19/22 1:31 p.m.
06HHR (Forum Supporter) said:

TIL that the platform for the Dodge Journey dates from 1994, and it basically had a dodge neon drivetrain as the base engine and transmission up until production ended in 2020

My favorite thing about the Journey was the one brochure was Dodge pointing out the benefits of every feature, like "2.4L 4-cylinder engine is fuel efficient and saves you money at the pump" and such, but then it got to the 4-speed automatic and it just said "4-speed automatic shifts gears so you don't have to." Oh gee, how novel, tell me more. Sadly it didn't say "Radio plays music so you don't have to sing it yourself."

Pete. (l33t FS)
5/19/22 1:39 p.m.

Completely unrelated to anything in the Neon, though.

All Neons had a 2.0 or 2.4l outgrowth of the 2.2/2.5 K car engine.

Journey four cylinders were the Mopar-Hyundai-Mitsubishi engine.  So it is the same engine as in Patriots and Elantras and Evo Xs and Souls.

Wait, back up one...

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/19/22 1:44 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

You sure about that?  Neons had a 420A 2.0 (and the taller 2.4) that was developed by Chrysler and shared with Mitsubishi. For Mitsu applications they reversed the head flow.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog Dork
5/19/22 1:57 p.m.

TIL that if you're dumb enough to work on live (110v) power while standing on a ladder, (I am), you should NOT have your cell phone in your front pocket set to vibrate. (I did)

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/19/22 2:26 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Completely unrelated to anything in the Neon, though.

All Neons had a 2.0 or 2.4l outgrowth of the 2.2/2.5 K car engine.

Journey four cylinders were the Mopar-Hyundai-Mitsubishi engine.  So it is the same engine as in Patriots and Elantras and Evo Xs and Souls.

Wait, back up one...

I'll give you that for the engine, it's a generation removed from the Neon 2.0/2.4 (Hyundai used to crib engine designs from Mitsubishi, so it sure looks the same).  But the transmission is a development of the Ultradrive 4-speed automatic that my Ma's 1991 Dodge Dynasty was rocking off the production line, it's old.  

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
5/19/22 2:26 p.m.

In reply to SaltyDog :

That reminds me of the time shortly after I'd recovered from my quadrupal bypass. I was working on a light switch with phone set to vibrate in my shirt pocket.  I thought I was having another infarc.

1 ... 163 164 165 166 167 ... 212

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DaCiqV3NxKZfS6aRxlwsPDl7E4yL5tEmfT2TB6nKyZqkvma83Heq03knlcmils3S