1 ... 166 167 168 169 170 ... 213
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/10/22 5:17 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Buick did make a fair number of turbo Rivieras, and the original application for the turbo V6 was in the '78 LeSabre.

I did some resto work on a turbo Riv convertible.  Apparently they made a hundred of them.

Only the '86-87 GNs had intercoolers.  All the rest were either drawthrough carb or EFI with a drawthrough throttle body: turbo sits above the engine, throttle body/MAF unit (like an old 3300/3800) bolts right to the turbo inlet, turbo outlet spigots directly into a rather tiny looking intake manifold.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/10/22 5:50 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

This was to be the '86-'93 Riviera with the fuel-injected intercooled 3.8L mounted transversely. The proposed AWD Reatta with a transverse-mounted turbo 3.8L would have honestly been pretty wild

Pete. (l33t FS)
6/10/22 6:02 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Instead we got a TV screen in the dash.

Mostly it makes the Corvette team look like slackers.  When the ZR1 came out with 375hp (later 405hp) the Vette team mumbled that they could do that with pushrods.  They were asked "well, why aren't you doing it?"

Time rewind.

"Buick has a wagon faster than the Corvette, this is unfair."

"...you just admitted that you cannot build a Corvette that is faster than some Buick wagon?"

NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/10/22 6:05 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

And a weirdass Car & Driver cover with an anthropomorphized avocado that look more like a raisin.

GM's corporate politics that protected the Corvette were always dumb. Heaven forbid you make the Corvette have to be better, no just make everything else worse. I'm honestly shocked that the Syclone was allowed to exist. Of course, Porsche is equally to blame with handicapping the Cayman to protect the 911

NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/10/22 6:22 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to NickD :

"Buick has a wagon faster than the Corvette, this is unfair."

"...you just admitted that you cannot build a Corvette that is faster than some Buick wagon?"

Not just a wagon, but a 6-cylinder wagon. 

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
6/10/22 6:25 p.m.

Growing up in Toledo I had a lot of contact with guys working on Engineering Exercises for the Big 3. There are a lot of stories about cars thrown together and the higher ups making sure they get crushed.

I had a friend that worked at the Yankee Road test track that told a story of a V6 Chevette that was running around their different tracks for a while that had silly performance. Crushed.

Another friend's father worked at AP Parts that made a lot of OE exhausts. He came home with a turbo V6 Fiero when they were only 4 bangers in 3 colors. This one was maroon and it left another guys new Corvette in the dust. Crushed.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/10/22 6:39 p.m.

I would have loved a turbo Reatta. 

TIL my well pump is a lot more enthusiastic than my sump pump. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/10/22 7:43 p.m.

TIL that Wally and my hellspawn share a birthday.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/10/22 7:54 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

I'm more a Toronado Trofeo man myself

Pete. (l33t FS)
6/11/22 8:11 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/11/22 4:59 p.m.

In reply to jgrewe :

Different era, but the V16 Tahoe was the stuff of legends

MyMiatas
MyMiatas New Reader
6/11/22 5:17 p.m.

This week I learned that if you word emails politely you can speed up the FedEx  delivery time from 5 days to 3 days. :0) 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/11/22 5:19 p.m.

Today i learned Dave Thomas from Wendy's is hugely responsible for the success of Kentucky fried chicken.

MyMiatas
MyMiatas New Reader
6/11/22 5:31 p.m.
06HHR (Forum Supporter) said:

TIL that the platform for the Dodge Journey dates from 1994, and it basically had a dodge neon drivetrain as the base engine and transmission up until production ended in 2020

So does that mean that you could put a 3.6l Journey engine in a Neon??? Hmm? Now that would be a 2000 Challenge car to build....

Pete. (l33t FS)
6/11/22 5:49 p.m.
MyMiatas said:

TIL that the platform for the Dodge Journey dates from 1994, and it basically had a dodge neon drivetrain as the base engine and transmission up until production ended in 2020

So does that mean that you could put a 3.6l Journey engine in a Neon??? Hmm? Now that would be a 2000 Challenge car to build....

The Journey looks very similar to a big Patriot/Caliber which looks very similar to... well, the lineage dates back to the mid 90s Mitsubishi Mirage/Lancer/Precis.

I think the 90s were the high water mark for Japanese manufacturing/engineering, like American makes in the 60s, and then after that they either phoned it in or just kept cranking out the same stuff... like American makes after the 60s.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/11/22 6:20 p.m.

TIL I got the Rona.

Fuuuuuuuuuuu...

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/11/22 6:24 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Take care of yourself. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/11/22 9:47 p.m.

It started yesterday morning, and peaked last night. I don't feel better, but I don't feel worse. Massive sinus pressure and whole body ache. Brother got hit too, but everyone else came up negative. I told bro he needs to stop sucking face with lot lizards in South Dakota.

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/12/22 8:36 p.m.

TIL that positive and negative battery terminals are not the same diameter. I guess I should have known that all along but never noticed. I had one of those top post to wing nit connectors on my picnic table and was having random battery failures (well it wasn't the battery, it was a loose connection). I noticed it was a tiny bit loose, bought new ones and was like wait a minute these aren't the same. Looks like 1 mm different or something really subtle like that. At least it was an easy fix. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/12/22 9:04 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

If your brother is sucking lot lizards he's doing it wrong.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
6/12/22 10:52 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Yeah you're supposed to drive them!

NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/13/22 8:28 p.m.
MyMiatas said:

I mean, a VQ35 fits one

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/13/22 9:35 p.m.

TIL that not only are the inner and outer rear brake pads on a 2022 Supra different, they work a whole lot better if you install them the correct way 'round! blush

NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/13/22 9:36 p.m.

TIL that the Dutch once had a prime minister they didn't much care for, so they are him. Yes, they are him. That'd make me think twice about running for that office "I mean, they did it once...."

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
6/13/22 10:27 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Well. if you are what you eat, yes they are.

1 ... 166 167 168 169 170 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
R60GVORhpYrJES2vjjtGRHJ3dMcav6MDncRR2q7Ku8TIzDN6GnSevt1YwAnFfzAX