1 ... 189 190 191 192 193 ... 213
Sonic
Sonic UberDork
5/2/23 1:00 p.m.

This weekend I learned that a 2021 Honda CRV will not allow the cruise control to be set higher than 90.  That's probably for the best.  

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/2/23 8:01 p.m.

TIL how the Model T magneto is designed, sandwiched between the engine and transmission. That's pretty robust looking. Honestly, it kinda looks like Honda IMA.

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/2/23 9:07 p.m.

In reply to Sonic :

Were you borrowing Angry's secret test track?  laugh

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/2/23 9:49 p.m.
Mike (Forum Supporter) said:

TIL how the Model T magneto is designed, sandwiched between the engine and transmission. That's pretty robust looking.

And it will shock an entire high school physics class at the same time. Ask me how I know.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/3/23 9:20 p.m.

TIL that a HPFP can rip its hold down bolts apart if it locks up.

I was looking for a magnifying glass and was like, wait, I have a phone with 10x zoom, let's use that resource.

At least, I don't SEE any evidence that the bolt had been weakened from a crack.  The bolt broke 2 or 3 threads down from the top of the boss it threaded into and ripped those threads right out.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/3/23 11:00 p.m.

TIL that Ike and Tina covered Whole Lotta Love.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/3/23 11:25 p.m.

While going through things in an effort to get my Dad's affairs settled, TIL that the file folder labeled "Purchases and Receipts" contains the hospital bills for the birth of myself and my siblings and the purchase agreements for family cars back into the late 60's. 

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/4/23 12:05 a.m.

In reply to Karacticus :

So, your dad considered you a purchase?

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/23 7:50 a.m.

In reply to Karacticus :

Kelly’s Heroes

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/4/23 7:54 a.m.

In reply to Karacticus :

I have my dads same file.  1955, 1968, 1984 Oldsmobile.....

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/4/23 8:02 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Brittle failure started at 10 and 5 o'clock.

wae
wae PowerDork
5/4/23 8:26 a.m.
914Driver said:

Brittle failure started at 10 and 5 o'clock.

Me too, man.  Me, too.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
5/4/23 10:17 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Thank you. And Pete for the original post. I am glad I see very few failures these days, I am still fixing 40 year old onessurprise

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
5/4/23 10:18 a.m.

How stretched is the timing chain now???

Karacticus
5/4/23 10:58 a.m.
VolvoHeretic said:

In reply to Karacticus :

So, your dad considered you a purchase?

At least I didn't find my folks marriage certificate in the same file. 

Karacticus
5/4/23 9:50 p.m.

And the next one--

TIL that my birth certificate says I was born white, and so does my sister's-- we're the oldest and youngest of three. 

My parent's and my brother's (middle child) don't. 

I can understand why that wasn't on my parent's, as I'm pretty sure they'd do their best to be sure only white babies were born in 1939 or 1940 in Barton County, Missouri.

Now my brother, I just don't know. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
5/19/23 12:11 p.m.

TIL that apprentice boy 2, not the one I'm paired with, is a Mexican Mennonite. I knew there was something interesting going on there but I never would've called that

Pete. (l33t FS)
5/19/23 12:56 p.m.
Karacticus said:

And the next one--

TIL that my birth certificate says I was born white, and so does my sister's-- we're the oldest and youngest of three. 

My parent's and my brother's (middle child) don't. 

I can understand why that wasn't on my parent's, as I'm pretty sure they'd do their best to be sure only white babies were born in 1939 or 1940 in Barton County, Missouri.

Now my brother, I just don't know. 

Mongrel story

Yankee moves to Virginia in the early 60s and deals with snappy answers to irrelevant questions.  Bonus: including on government security-clearance paperwork

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
5/19/23 1:36 p.m.

That was a great read, thanks for posting. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/19/23 3:24 p.m.
Peabody said:

TIL that apprentice boy 2, not the one I'm paired with, is a Mexican Mennonite. I knew there was something interesting going on there but I never would've called that

I had a teacher that was a Cuban Quaker.

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
5/19/23 4:14 p.m.
Duke said:
Peabody said:

I had a teacher that was a Cuban Quaker.

These names sound like they were made up by Stan Lee.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
5/19/23 7:39 p.m.

In reply to eastpark :

It get's better. They dress like Mennonites, eat traditional Mexican food... and speak German

Pete. (l33t FS)
5/19/23 7:59 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

That has to be a more interesting accent than the guy who I bought a Thunderbird from, who was born in Ireland and moved to Georgia as an adult, then marinated there for a few decades

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
5/20/23 11:42 a.m.

Yesterday I began building new planter beds for my garden and decided to go with recycled plastic beams instead of wooden posts. It so far has been really interesting and nice to work with; I chopped it on a 10" carbide saw and it weighs half of what the wood would, and during cutting it only smelled like fresh tires. No molten smell, no issues.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/20/23 11:17 p.m.

There is a guy named Terry O'Reilly who does podcasts,  usually about marketing.  He's really entertaining, and today's episode was about  marketing contests gone wrong.

TIL that Pitbull has a great sense of humor, and honor, I guess.  Walmart and some caffeine strip company set up a contest where the Walmart that got the most follows on Facebook got a Pitbull concert.  Some dude in Boston started an "Exile Pitbull" page, and a fly-in only town in Alaska with 5000 people won by a ton.  Pitbull went up there in his jet, after picking up the guy who started the exile deal, and charmed the E36 M3 out of a whole town.

1 ... 189 190 191 192 193 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uANKNM1DyyQMiR49P1Kd6qVanY8y4tvhR5BNWgMffHUBM60KjM6C7Q3M6Vb5b1z6