1 2
Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
9/1/19 8:16 p.m.

So I have come to the conclusion that I have too many cars and while I really like all of them. They don't fit my current needs or even some of my wants and 75% of them are non driveable.

The '99 Saturn SL is actually the smartest decision I've ever made in my life. Almost free to run, less than $500 invested into it, and it's the most reliable thing I've ever owned and even kind of fun in a 94hp disposable car you can drive everywhere at WOT while rowing gears with a sloppy shifter sort of way. Effectively unsellable in it's current form and worthless if I can eventually get somebody to buy it. So it's staying until the engine or trans finally decide to end their existence in some catastrophic manner.

Humphrey the '89 Caprice Wagon. Still not a driver but close. Needs all of the rust repair. Long term is going to need a lot of work and money. I still really like this car though and will probably move all the good bits over to another less rusty b-body shell before I ever actually think of getting rid of it. Actually has a lot of potential for a lot of different activities so yeah I guess it stays too.

My '89 C1500 shortbed I've owned a month or so. I love these things and got it because I've always wanted to build a stupid pro touring ish sport truck. But in reality it's kind of useless as a truck, doing what I want with it will make it even more useless and at that point it won't do anything the wagon won't do better. So eh. I'm conflicted. The 350 in it is definitely hurt so I may just have to fix it and sell it off. Even though I really don't want to.

The '87 GTA. A literal dream car of mine at one point after driving one my cousin still owns. Bought it with grand plans of LS swaps and a full effort track/autocross build. Quickly realized I'm not willing to do that much work to this platform. So I lost interest. Then I saw David Frieburger's Mach 1 Mustang recently and what he did with it. Small block with a bit of power. Manual trans. Mild suspension bolt ons, bracing, and 15" wheels with normal car tires. Just enough to make it fun and reliable in modern traffic. My GTA essentially just needs an engine/trans and a suspension refresh to be there. And then it hit me again. That's exactly what the wagon is! and I don't need redundant 80s GM hotrod E36 M3boxes. 

So basically I have 2 redundant projects I don't have space, time, or money for. I guess I'm about to get the GTA back to being a roller with brakes and start being more serious about selling it. And then get the truck back to being a driver and start doing the same with it. 

This is a useless post. Thanks for reading. Comments and rude remarks are always welcome.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/1/19 8:20 p.m.

We currently have 8 cars for 4 drivers. That may go down by 1 in the mid future, but not immediately. 

Me:  V60 (2019 - daily), SSM Manic Miata (1996)

DW:  S60 (2017 - daily)

DD#1:  C-Max (2013 - daily), ES Miata (1999)

DD#2:  Impala (2006 - daily)

General use:  Town & Country minivan (2012)

Spare:  TSX (2004 - former daily, soon to be sold)

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/1/19 8:57 p.m.

Two drivers here, four vehicles.

Here's how it works for us.

My wife dailies our 14 Mazda 5. For my commuter car, I have an 04 Lancer Ralliart wagon that's been stone reliable for 10 years and scratches my wagon itch.

I have an 88 Silverado C2500 RCLB, with at least 350,000 miles on it, probably a lot more. It's for truck stuff and is our backup for when one of the other cars are in the shop or loaned out. It runs great, and I love driving it. 

Finally, I have a 99 Miata sport that's exclusively for autocross.

Extra cars are fine, but it's got to make sense. I think you ought to get rid of the truck, since it doesn't sound like you really want it.

As far as the rusty wagon goes, I don't see any sense in hanging on to that, but you can decide. When it comes to rust, that's where I get off. I love wagons, don't get me wrong. I'd look for a replacement before I'd deal with rust though. 

I'd keep the Saturn, if it runs and doesn't have any value when sold you might as well keep driving it while you hunt for that rust-free Caprice wagon.

slowbird
slowbird Reader
9/1/19 9:32 p.m.

I have a similar problem...I have 4 cars and not enough space.

1991 Mercury Cougar XR7: it has the 5.0 and I love it, it's my dream car, but the ABS system is flaky and when it acts up I only get front non-power brakes. Somehow I can still stop safely most of the time. It also needs other work to pass inspection. And I wanna 5-speed swap it.

1998 Lincoln Town Car: it's the winter beater and the only one of my cars that I feel comfortable letting my mom borrow while her car is down. But it burns a lot of oil and the blower motor doesn't work.

2005 Ford Focus ST: it's a fun little car and I wanna preserve it because it's not super common like the regular Focus models of that time. But it needs a new alternator or something and I don't feel good about trying to do that job myself, and I haven't been able to get it to a shop yet.

1997 Ford Probe GT: I feel like buying this car was a mistake, because it will never be worth more than a grand or two, I barely fit in it, it's kind of a hooptie, it rides like E36 M3 over bumpy PA roads, and it's not really that fast. But it makes the best engine noises above 4000 rpm, it might be a rare GTS package (side lettering, chrome wheels...someone removed the spoiler and filled in the holes, and presumably removed the GTS stripes also) and it looks cool and has popup headlights. Plus it's gonna be a Challenge gastopod if I can afford to drive it to Florida in October.

I want to get rid of one so I can get something new, but I can't bring myself to do it.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/1/19 10:03 p.m.

Sounds familiar... 5 cars, 2 drivers.

2008 Mazda 5: My daily driver, but I did stupid things to it. 18x9 Motegi Technomesh's with 225/40/18 Cooper RS3's, Godspeed Mono SS coilovers with C/C mounts, SPC adjustable camber arms, and rolled fenders. It's stupid low, stiff, and chews through tires. It's also the most capable and flexible vehicle, basically working as my pickup truck and family hauler because we need at least 1 car that will hold all 6 of us. I plan on MT5-swapping it and turbocharging it in the near future...

2006 Audi A4: The GF's daily driver. Stone-stock with a 2.0T (red T at that, so the S-Line before it was a thing), MT6, and Quattro. Has been mostly reliable over our first 10K of ownership, but she racks up miles like crazy. She put 30K miles on the Mazda3 in 8 months...

2000 Porsche Boxster S: The dedicated autocross build car and the fun weekends driver. Koni's and RE71R's (though I do have a spare set of wheels that I can put normal tires on for off-season). I have JRZ shocks and Hawk pads for next season, not to mention wanting to change the exhaust and add a bigger FSB.

1996 Ford Cobra SVT: Stupid car with stupid mods. Worth more in pieces than together, even though it's one of the best track rats ever. You can TNiA Friday night, drag race Saturday, and autocross Sunday without touching a thing on it and do all of them well. Needs an engine/trans out service which makes me want to go tubular K-member, ditch the A/C, and supercharge it...

1996 Ford Bronco: The truck that I keep forgetting I own. It died today in the hood and I had to tow-strap it back with the Cobra. Will somebody please BUY this POS?!?

To Daylan:

Keep the Saturn, sell the C1500, sell the GTA, and strip the wagon. Find a wagon shell that's glorious and make your dream hauler/cruiser/awesomemobile. By the time it's done the Saturn will be a flaming pile and you can daily the wagon. Then get a DSM and build a crazy AX car that you can tow to the track with the wagon.

slowbird
slowbird Reader
9/1/19 10:07 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Wanna trade the Bronco for any of my buckets of bolts I listed above? cheeky

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
9/1/19 10:08 p.m.

I'm not going to make a list or confess anything. Just wanted to say, There's some pretty cool, affordable stuff out there on FB, CL, IAAI, Copart, and the west side of the garage three blocks down to the right....

Thank God for tolerant neighbors, lenient local restrictions, and a wonderful wife. I guess the truth of it is that it is a lot easier to acquire more than it is to let go. I find that limiting space is the best control I have to make sure that eventually something moves out before another moves in.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/1/19 10:24 p.m.

With exception of probably all but aazcd, you guys are lightweights 

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
9/1/19 10:27 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Oh I'm definitely willing to own a couple dozen cars because that's what it would take to satisfy all my random wants. The issue is I'm currently at max capacity at 4 and need room to breathe with this problem.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/1/19 10:30 p.m.

My house:  3 licensed drivers, 3 nice DD’s, one MONZORA.  Thanks for not kicking me off the island yet.

frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
9/1/19 10:36 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

You fail to understand the concept of too many cars.  When I race I want cheap spares. So I’m always looking for the same model/ years  as back ups.  

Right now I have only one XJS , racing starts when there are three.  Since my budget is now up to $500 each ( up from my old $300) I need at least 2 more.  

This started with my MGTD and at one point I had three in my driveway with 2 more in the bushes  ( not yet retrieved but purchased) 

i did it with the Morris Woodie Traveler  (5) and again with my XKE series 3 roadster.  Only 3 though.  

My worst issue was the collection of V12’s Jaguar engines.  I started collecting them in the late 1970’s  and by the late 1990’s there were around 50.  Rust provided most of them.  Owners would find out how expensive it was to have someone who knew what they were doing work on them and as soon as rust popped up, the for sale sign went on.  Funny how few people want a rusty non running car.  By the mid 1980’s I got them for free and into the 1990’s often as not they would have it hauled over rather than Than me having to go get it.  

I stopped accepting them by the mid 1990’s and by 2000 I was tearing them apart and selling off the aluminum.  

slowbird
slowbird Reader
9/1/19 10:43 p.m.

If I could afford more storage space, I would be up to like, 10 or 15 cars by now.

Anyone got an empty warehouse they aren't using?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/1/19 10:43 p.m.

One driver.  Silverado, XC90, V70 XC, B13 Sentra with SR20, 02 Neon with SRT swap, supercharged 82 Z28, LS swapped 67 Camaro, 2 liter/Weber 510, 99 Accord, 54 Coronet 2 door wagon with 318 efi swap.

And then there's the race cars.

Thinking about selling a few...

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
9/1/19 10:51 p.m.

Two drivers (and a permit kid) and 5 cars.   B6 Passat superwagon: does it’s job astonishingly well.  AWD, all weather interceptor, owned it for 8 years now (longer than I’ve ever owned a car) and at 151K miles it’s essentially worthless so I’ll ride this pony into the ground.

Suburban QS.  Too rusty to be nice and currently fighting a transfer case leak but pretty awesome and will tow a house while hauling 8 people when it’s healthy.

SWMBO (Tiger Mom) has the unicorn Jag.  2003 Xtype with the 3.0 and stick shift.   Currently on jack stands in the garage as I replace the shocks, motor mounts, ball joints, and a suspension bushing or two.  Beautiful car we plan to keep for years.

2006 STR prepped NC Miata.  Autocross toy and some time daily driver.  Fun ride but i’m already wanting more power.  Supercharger?  Turbo?  Sigh, I should leave it alone but......

2004 RX-8.  The one I forget I own.  It’s semi dead and at a friends’ house so I don’t see it for months at a time.  Should part it out.

90BuickCentury
90BuickCentury New Reader
9/2/19 7:23 a.m.

Here's my list:

2011 F150 XL RCLB 3.7LV6 RWD - 71K Miles. Use it for truck stuff all the time. Overdue like a year on some fluid PM etc.

2006 Honda Odyssey EX-L - 260K Miles. Acquiring from my sister as it just blew the trans and is past due for WP/TB and she just bought a new Accord.

2005 Chrysler 300 3.5LV6 Salvage Title- 162K Miles. Love the looks of this car and has good power but have had it for over a yr and still not able to drive on the road. Sitting under car cover in back yard. Runs and drives but won't pass inspection to get rebuilt title since front passenger door won't open now. Since I bought it, the following have stopped working just from driving it back and forth in the lot at work: Passenger door, drivers door, shift lock release, parking brake. Have about $1,200 invested so far... keep debating whether to fix, sell, part out, or demo it.

2004 Honda Pilot EX - 272K Miles. Wife's DD. Once Odyssey is repaired, this one needs some work.

1998 Toyota Camry CE 2.2L - 154K Miles. Bought off original owner and blew the original water pump after couple thousand miles. Been sitting in my garage for 6 months. Got pump mostly replaced but don't remember which bolts go where. Nice car just not motivated to finish it. 

1997 Honda Accord LX 2.2L - 253K Miles. First car. Bought from original owner with 195K. CEL just came on for probably O2 sensor. Original suspension needs replaced and probably some other stuff.

Misc Buick Century's from 89-93. All 3.3L V6. Mileage ranging from 70K to 194K. Varying levels of work needed/drivability.

And I still look on FB and CL for more cars...  

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
9/2/19 7:37 a.m.

Three drivers.  Six drivable vehicles, plus a project Chevy II and a motorcycle.  Fortunately, I have 5 garage slots in which to park some of these, minus one that houses the boat....

Is there such a thing as "too many cars?"  I'm not convinced.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
9/2/19 7:54 a.m.

I'm a lightweight but all my cars work 100%.  So I got that going for me.  Currently 2 drivers in the household but about to get 3 in another 1.5 years when my daughter gets her license. 

Fleet right now is

'03 911 Turbo, basic bolt ons, plenty of fun, street/track car, will be worth at least what I paid for it for years and probably more.

'15 Cayenne Diesel, stock, under warranty still, my wife's DD.  Company car, so we're into it cheap due to advantageous tax codes.

'19 Golf R, my DD.  Long warranty, basically stock except OEM+ upgrades.  This replaced my GX470 and I probably should've gotten a truck instead, as having something larger that can carry awkward things and tow is useful.  However my garage isn't very deep and I couldn't fit a truck and I didn't want another large SUV, so hot hatch it is.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/2/19 8:19 a.m.

Two drivers, for some reason we have:

2009 Jetta stick

1974 914

1984 F-150

2008 Maxima

BMW R-90

KZ-650

Grob 109

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
9/2/19 8:21 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Would like a 3.8 to replace the 2.4 in MK 2 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/2/19 8:28 a.m.

You drive hoopties, so two operating cars is probably a good idea as long as storage and running costs make that possible. From there......projects? It's hard to nail down projects. Forever cars are a weird idea. Owning a particular car for 30-50 years? With life changes and moves and all of that? 

I have more cars than I want, but I also want all of the cars I have. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
9/2/19 8:34 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

This is a very enlightened statement. And sums me up perfectly. We have 2 daily drivers (mazda5 and mazda6), the mutant miata, the duster, the stepside and the acr. I cannot think of a driveway realignment that would make me happier, but less things to maintain would be nice

egnorant
egnorant SuperDork
9/2/19 8:53 a.m.

Over 60 cars here! Too much room and seem to roll them in faster than I roll them out. All but 4 were bought on purpose and are cool in there own way. I keep waiting for a few of you guys to show up with trailers, cash and BBQ to help thin the herd for various silly projects. Not even counting the motorcycles, scooters, go karts, mini bikes, 3 wheelers or hot rodder riding mowers. 

More room can be a curse and low scrap prices allow this metal glacier to grow.  The kids have 3 Mustang power wheels in their garage and 4 modded wagons. Bikes? We got em'.

Bruce

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
9/2/19 9:11 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:

This is a very enlightened statement.

I agree.  In fact, I think we could say that none of the great thinkers, going back even to Socrates, and further still to Confucius, has ever uttered or put to paper a more profound thought.  Please excuse me for a few hours, I must ruminate on the deeper meanings of this statement and all its myriad insinuations.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/2/19 9:17 a.m.
slowbird said:

In reply to Javelin :

Wanna trade the Bronco for any of my buckets of bolts I listed above? cheeky

I'll trade you for the Focus! laugh

jr02518
jr02518 Reader
9/2/19 9:51 a.m.

I find the cars I own fall into two categorizes;  DD and event.

This morning I will be driving the 296,000 mile '94 Nissan Pathfinder. This is a theft recovery. The police found it and I got it back within 72 hours.  Lucky me, the key still works in the ignition.  With working A/C, but still no reverse. I just plan ahead.

My normal DD, a 196,000 mile 2005 Toyota Highlander is now resting until I get the power steering rack replaced. I can no longer park it at a clients home and not leave a puddle. It's time.

My wife's DD is a 186,000 mile 2005 BMW X3.  The combination of car and driver's eats front tires. We both flog this car, it's that much fun to drive on our mountain roads.

Now the event cars.  Some people have shoes, I have cars!

Solo 2 cars:  We have a local class for the older cars, "Historic", that runs an index that combines the normal SCCA classes and the HCS/HCR .  Think of it as a sand box for the geasers.

The cars are old, the drivers might not want to admit their vintage.

Currently I am running a 1982 BMW 320 being built to FSP on 200tw tires, HCS for the class.  Yes, the car is not a 1974 or older.  But I'm not besting the class on my Bridgestone RE71 cast off's from a ES Miata.  Yet.  So for the time being I am boosting the car count in the class.  One must be aware of the in's and out's of amateur sports and the baggage that goes with it.

Today I will be working on the old NASA GT2 BMW E30. Creating the patch in the passenger floor to fill the hole created by the attempt at a side exhaust.  The SCCA has updated their engine rules for 2020 in the prepared classes and car with it's M50 motor can now run in FP, starting next year.  I have completed the refresh of the brake system and will continue to run the car at local events, again in the Historic class.  I would like to confirm that the car will not flat spot the front tires, before I spend the money on purple crack.

Next in line is the 1960 MGA Coupe.  I need to get this done before my friend and mechanic moves out of the state, next year.  This will not be a nut and bolt restoration.  I will only do what is necessary to get the car refreshed and running.  The car already has a 3 bearing 1800 MGB motor and no attempt will be made to source a "stock" one to replace it. I see the key to keeping the motor alive is a 5000 rpm chip in the MSD.  That and a cam for as much torque as the motor can produce.   I am thinking of this as, how much do I have to do, to beat the local Morgans. It's a British car thing. 

My long term rebuild of the 1975 BMW 2002 as a 1590 pound  prepared car for Solo2, is still moving along.  The rules have not changed and I see a path.

Then we have the 1994 BMW 325is M-Tech.   Looks like a mix of standard and M3 parts on a white car.  I might be looking at the Silver State event once the suspension gets refreshed.  I think I can average 95 mph for 120 miles. Yea, I can.

Then, to pull the above to events, we have the 1987 Pace Arrow motor home with the fresh BBC and new radiator with 50 plus feet of new radiator hose.  What a slow moving project.  In just about every way.

But yes, I continue to look.  And there might be a couple of pending additions.  If I secure a trailer tug I can leave a car on the trailer, right?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ThicS70yO6Ta1OwzlLYIBi3VcJNyddmMnQTzsLmQS08eCLzdkLwQCVap2zAMzLHP