bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
7/18/08 11:55 a.m.

Why don't I get the current episodes? Does BBC America not show them until later? I heard all this talk about Clarkson racing a bullet train last Monday. I taped every episode on that night and none of them were it. I'm I looking in the wrong place? Paleez help me!

Hocrest
Hocrest New Reader
7/18/08 11:59 a.m.

I download them all here; http://www.finalgear.com/

I think they air on BBC America a week after they originally air?

Thinkkker
Thinkkker SuperDork
7/18/08 12:00 p.m.

BBC America runs the past year on it. They cut it down a little....

doitover
doitover New Reader
7/18/08 2:26 p.m.

It's on youtube, in 4 parts though.

first part

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLmOcocQNeU[\url]

rebelgtp
rebelgtp HalfDork
7/18/08 2:38 p.m.

Yeah I hate the fact they advertise for the newest season but they show last years. I've been downloading the current years so I can watch things and get the full episodes not the trimmed ones we normally get.

Josh
Josh Reader
7/18/08 2:58 p.m.

Top Gear on BBC America is eating my DVR alive. They put NO indication in the guide what will be on each episode, or whether it is first run or the 10th repeat of that episode. So if I want to make sure I get the new ones when they air them (at random times, it appears), I have to set it to record every episode. I will go away for the weekend and find my DVR out of space and 12 new episodes of Top Gear on it, which is really the same 3 episodes recorded 4 times each. Only one of which is one that I don't already have. Sometimes. I would just give up and download them all, but I tend to get bounced off whenever I use bittorrent for any length of time on Roadrunner.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
7/18/08 3:04 p.m.

The first episode on Monday nights is always the new one. The second is a repeat of the preceding week's show.

Works fine until they run through the season, then it's all repeats. The 'latest' season just began this past Monday so you can see the most current 2 USA versions this coming Monday.

Rumnhammer
Rumnhammer New Reader
7/18/08 8:14 p.m.

Josh, set your DVR to only record NEW epsodes it will automatically filter out what has already been recorded. should be in the recording set up area. Chris

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
7/19/08 6:52 a.m.
Rumnhammer wrote: Josh, set your DVR to only record NEW epsodes it will automatically filter out what has already been recorded. should be in the recording set up area. Chris

What Josh said is exactly my situation, and I suspect for the same reason. In my case, I didn't know anything about Top Gear until about a year ago after hearing people here talk about it. Then I didn't know I could get it either. So when I finally did figure it out (and just like everyone else, got addicted to it!), there were many new AND repeat episodes I hadn't seen. So to make sure I get the one's I haven't, I have to record all of them, then go through them all and delete the episodes I've seen. To make matters worse, I've also found many times where the episode info given is incorrect, so I have to actually start watching most of them to figure out if I've seen them before or not. BBC America could do a better job of listing these programs, no doubt. Anyways, thanks to all for the tips and information!

scotaku
scotaku New Reader
7/20/08 8:45 a.m.

Some advice as a Top Gear junkie...

First, tweak your DVR to record only first-runs and not repeats. In my Verizon/Motorola box this is a distinction only the DVR will pick up, and it works quite well. The program/episode descriptions are often the same blurb and do not describe that episode's content, but the episode number gets nabbed by the DVR and only one copy gets taped.

Second, realize that what's buzzing on the net is talk of season 11 (currently) which just started in the UK on BBC2... not season 6 which just started in the US on BBC America.

Finally, it is highly likely that NBC's attempt to copy the show will probably be called "Top Gear" and could confuse the DVR. If set to record only first runs, you're likely to get both. There is an option to record only the program as it appears on a specific channel that will resolve this. I'm only going to exercise it if/when the Man Show/Supercars Exploited/Design on a Dime version proves to be a toilet bowl of stillborn crap many are afraid will happen.

Jack
Jack SuperDork
7/20/08 11:53 p.m.

Swap out the hard drive in your DVR.

Jack

rebelgtp
rebelgtp HalfDork
7/22/08 2:04 p.m.
Hocrest wrote: I download them all here; http://www.finalgear.com/ I think they air on BBC America a week after they originally air?

ugh I sooooo wish I had a faster internet connection, i want to download all of those old episodes cause I got watching Top Gear kinda late so I've missed a ton. Heck I never even knew there was a Black Stig before White Stig. I can't even bum off someone elses fast connection, there are none out here...freakin 256k DSL grrr

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GdxmGS4nh4OI5MxwdbvXEYT6ZsKd23FUuD1dGZWr8pfPDOI5K250AlBgQwMpDTNS