1 2 3
NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
12/1/09 7:31 a.m.
Strizzo wrote: I remember a story from middle school where a girls little brother landed on the springs at about the ame time that someone else was landing. apparently one of Little bros beans ended up in the spring. I think he ended up missing a week of school while the swelling went down.

That's the dreaded "spring ball drop", the trampoline equivalent of the "Atomic Wedgie". Ouch!

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
12/1/09 7:43 a.m.
Strizzo wrote: I remember a story from middle school where a girls little brother landed on the springs at about the ame time that someone else was landing. apparently one of Little bros beans ended up in the spring. I think he ended up missing a week of school while the swelling went down.

Thank you. My testes are now hiding behind my nipples.

WilD
WilD Reader
12/1/09 10:08 a.m.

We are talking about the big outdoor kind right? We had one for a few years when I was in highschool. There will be injuries.

Nobody was permanently disabled but there were some significant fall injuries from people being launched off the trampoline (about as significant as taking a running leap off the roof of a typical one story house), and landing on the rim or springs is brutal even with a safety pad.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/1/09 11:12 a.m.

I've seen ones that float. Seems like it would be a whole lot of fun.

We had a big rectangular one in gym class in Australia in the 80's. I remember really enjoying it.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/1/09 11:52 a.m.

All interesting responses. I suspected they would not be as safe as say sitting on the couch, but did not realize that traumatic injury is just this side of a given.

To answer some of the questions, we are contemplating an outdoor round model with the safety net. Something like this:

I've also read that folks are now installing them "in ground" such as this. I wonder if that mitigates some of the risk.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
12/1/09 12:04 p.m.

I like friends' houses with trampolines! I don't need one.

That "in ground" installation would never fly here in mosquitoland. But does look quite a bit safer. I mean 9.8 meters/secondsquared adds up quick in the last few feet.

Clem

carzan
carzan Reader
12/1/09 12:44 p.m.

My neighbors had one when I was growing up. Whenever any of the older, highschoolish aged girls were within earshot (usually several together), we would invite them over. They always thought we were so sweet and thoughtful for asking them over...and for even giving them extra jump time.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
12/1/09 1:03 p.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ8OuIkk77g

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
12/1/09 1:19 p.m.

Remember The Simpson's episode where Homer gets one from the clown? After every kid in the neighborhood is busted up and Homer tries to return it, the clown sends him off with the shotgun.

Of course, there's always Girls on Trampolines, like The Man Show, huh carzan?

WilD
WilD Reader
12/1/09 1:19 p.m.

I'm skeptical about those safety nets working, but the in ground installation would indeed limit the carnage I think. There will still be some bumps, bruises, and sprains, but the ball breakers and big scary falls would be mostly eliminted.

P.S., these are the most fun with multiple people on them. If you are a trampoline puritan and only ever allow one jumper at a time, there might not be a big risk of injury in any case.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/1/09 1:23 p.m.
mtn wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ8OuIkk77g

That settles it...we're getting one!

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/1/09 1:23 p.m.

The problem with the in-ground option is that it makes it much easier to, say, put a jump at the edge so you can jump your bike on to the tramp. Hmm...

mtn
mtn SuperDork
12/1/09 1:52 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Remember The Simpson's episode where Homer gets one from the clown? After every kid in the neighborhood is busted up and Homer tries to return it, the clown sends him off with the shotgun. Of course, there's always Girls on Trampolines, like The Man Show, huh carzan?

See the two youtube links in the thread.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
12/1/09 2:06 p.m.

I'm at work.

pete240z
pete240z Dork
12/1/09 2:15 p.m.
dyintorace wrote: I've also read that folks are now installing them "in ground" such as this. I wonder if that mitigates some of the risk.

Years ago a friend had a large family and a giant piece of land and they dug their trampoline into the ground. Except they ran out of steam and the edges were not as deep as the center.

and the center held all the rain water so my seat drop let my rear end get all wet.

jamscal
jamscal HalfDork
12/1/09 2:18 p.m.

Re nets:

I guess it could be an urban legend but a friend of a friends' kid jumped up and got his (buck?) teeth caught in the net, which of course came out on the return trip.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
12/1/09 4:03 p.m.

When I bought my house, the first question the insurance company asked was: "Do you have a trampoline?" I mean literally the first question, before they asked the address of the property or anything else.

I'll leave interpretation to the reader, but I suspect that had my answer been other than "no" the follow-up would have either been: (1) a refusal to cover me at all, (2) an exclusion, or (3) a lot of money out of my pocket for a rider or a policy without an exclusion.

Jake
Jake HalfDork
12/1/09 8:15 p.m.

My wife's dad moved to a house where one was left behind. He disassembled it and brought it to me, without having been asked. LAter, come to find out, there was some kind of recall- catastrophic failure of weld possible on structural member or something. It's still sitting in my basement, and now, knowing that, I don't know what to do with it. My kids won't be getting on it.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Reader
12/1/09 8:25 p.m.

And if, while you're at work, some neighbourhood shmoe comes onto your property and jumps on your trampoline and hurts themselves - you are liable.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt Reader
12/1/09 8:27 p.m.
billy3esq wrote: When I bought my house, the first question the insurance company asked was: "Do you have a trampoline?" I mean literally the first question, before they asked the address of the property or anything else. I'll leave interpretation to the reader, but I suspect that had my answer been other than "no" the follow-up would have either been: (1) a refusal to cover me at all, (2) an exclusion, or (3) a lot of money out of my pocket for a rider or a policy without an exclusion.

Maybe they were just bored and wanted to come over?

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/1/09 8:42 p.m.

My last knee surgery was due to a trampoline. They're fun, but their "neatness" goes away rather quickly, at least it did for my niece, she used it for all of about a year and a half or so, now it rarely gets used except by the dog chasing the lizards. But I will say this, after half an hour or so of playing on it, I regreted it for about 2 days, who knew hopping around on an elastic platform used stomach muscles so much....

Spinout007
12/1/09 8:43 p.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote:
Thank you. My testes are now hiding behind my nipples.

AMEN BROTHER!

Spinout007
12/1/09 8:44 p.m.
WilD wrote: We are talking about the big outdoor kind right? We had one for a few years when I was in highschool. There will be injuries. Nobody was permanently disabled but there were some significant fall injuries from people being launched off the trampoline (about as significant as taking a running leap off the roof of a typical one story house), and landing on the rim or springs is brutal even with a safety pad.

Sober? in high school things rarely got that outta hand while sober.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
12/1/09 9:05 p.m.

If you don't have at least one major injury during childhood, you are doing something wrong.

sobe_death
sobe_death New Reader
12/2/09 2:09 p.m.
maroon92 wrote: If you don't have at least one major injury during childhood, you are doing something wrong.

I once cracked my (baby) teeth by jumping on a trampoline wearing roller skates. Seemed fun at the time ?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7rMB7VCrv08Bs2lVQ6qYlCUH2lHegXOgTfvft04vIafnMlkgpj9CXulOGZNQAiNo