Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/27/22 11:14 p.m.

And, for frenchy

No Time
No Time UltraDork
9/27/22 11:56 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

At times I feel like the pre-industrial folks had it better, especially when up north when we get a big nor'easter. 

The best time is when it's snowing hard enough to keep people off the roads and late enough the people aren't using their snowblowers, but power is still on so I don't have the sound of everyone's generators ruining my peaceful solitude standing in the back yard with my beverage or grilling a steak. You can hear the sound of the flakes landing and there's none of the noise pollution that is normally present, even at night.

The sounds of snowblowers and civilization after the storm passes makes me appreciate the quiet during the storm even more. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/28/22 7:59 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

In the 55 years I've been dealing with hurricanes, I have never needed sandbags. This isn't a flood, it's a storm surge. Think really slow tsunami. It is relentless. Unless she lives on the coast within a mile or two of tidal water, it won't be a problem. 

While a generator is nice, it's not necessary and if she doesn't already have one, it's probably too late. They sell out faster than TP and water. 

Your best bet is to tell her to talk to someone who actually knows what they are talking about instead of getting information from someone used to dealing with snow. 

Error404
Error404 HalfDork
9/28/22 8:21 a.m.

Hi ho hi ho, off to make the boss man more money I go. It's a little rainy in Orlando, has been since last night, and a bit breezy. Office types are WFH today, HR is WFH. Can't risk HR out driving on these roads, if something were to happen who would protect the company from malicious employees thinking they're people.

I'm leaving after a couple hours, winds should be here after lunch and I have STD (s@@@ to do). Let's see how much trouble I get in for placing me and mine over his wallet. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/28/22 8:22 a.m.

Amazon and Walmart fulfillment center are shutdown in the area.  Shippers are holding trucks outside the area. 

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
9/28/22 9:22 a.m.

Overcast and breezy right now in St Petersburg. Its hard to believe there is Cat 4 storm 100 miles away. I have new neighbors that where heading to wait in line for sand bags yesterday. I asked if he realized that we are 42ft above sea level? In a Cat 5 direct hit we would be on one of the islands that Pinellas county would become for a day.

I had to go out to my building in St Pete Bch because paramedics had to break in a door to save an older guy that fell and couldn't get up. A cop on the causeway to Treasure Island wouldn't let me on the island because my place is in St Pete Bch. I asked if he knew there was a 5 lane bridge between the islands and told him that this was the faster way to get there. So, I had to drive a few miles and 15 minutes out of the way to get to my place that is a few hundred yards from that bridge. On the way off the islands 40 minutes later I drove by him and honked.

Mr_Asa
9/28/22 9:46 a.m.

Getting some wind gusts.  Virtually no rain.  I've driven home from work in weather worse than this.  We'll see how it looks in a couple hours.

Toyman!
9/28/22 10:23 a.m.

My dad just called and asked if I wanted him to do anything with my boat. It's parked behind his shop about 10' from the marsh. Nope, the trailer gets a saltwater dunk every time I back it overboard and it will take 6'-8' to float it off the trailer, the top survived 70 mph winds on the way back from the lake a couple of weeks ago, and there aren't any trees close. Leave it where it is and let it ride. It'll be fine. 

Probably the most important thing you can do for a hurricane is make sure your insurance is paid up, and take that paperwork with you if you have to evacuate. You don't want to be digging through the wreckage of your house trying to find a filing cabinet. 

Mr_Asa
9/28/22 10:27 a.m.
Toyman! said:

Probably the most important thing you can do for a hurricane is make sure your insurance is paid up, and take that paperwork with you if you have to evacuate.

And take pictures of all your crap before the storm

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/28/22 10:46 a.m.

I take a video of walking around the house outside before hurricanes. Get a fresh "before" shot of everything. 

Weve been getting rain and wind since last night. Nothing severe yet. Thats supposed to start in a few hours. I think i may board up a few windows in the next little bit here. 

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/28/22 10:49 a.m.

That rusty Datsun under the tree was MINT, mint I tell you, before the tree fell on it! 

Mr_Asa
9/28/22 10:51 a.m.

Virtually no rain so far, however:

It berkeleyen Wimdy | Know Your Meme

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/28/22 11:00 a.m.

I think someone here posted this before but it's berking cool enough to post again. 

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-76.65,28.22,1420

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/28/22 11:04 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

That's really good. 

Toyman!
9/28/22 11:14 a.m.

I like Ventusky better. It will give you wind speeds as well as direction anywhere your mouse is. It will also do temps, wind gusts and all kinds of other information. 

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=24.8;-83.5;5&l=wind-10m

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/28/22 11:22 a.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

I like that one also. I'll play with it once I get home this evening. 

Toyman!
9/28/22 11:27 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

You can spend a lot of time playing with it. 

The wind gusts in the Antarctic Ocean are impressive and continuous. 60 mph is common. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/28/22 11:34 a.m.
TJL (Forum Supporter) said:

I take a video of walking around the house outside before hurricanes. Get a fresh "before" shot of everything. 

Weve been getting rain and wind since last night. Nothing severe yet. Thats supposed to start in a few hours. I think i may board up a few windows in the next little bit here. 

I just want to point out this is a great idea to do for your HO policy EVERY YEAR whether you live in a storm prone area or not. 

Mr_Asa
9/28/22 12:10 p.m.

I love watching this palm tree and the little short bush in front of it when there is a storm

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/28/22 12:53 p.m.

Sounds like Ft. Myers is about to get Katrina'd. Stay safe, everyone.

Toyman!
9/28/22 1:05 p.m.

The Air Force is apparently pulling all the go fasts out of Charleston. They are quite noisy when they cross over my office. Makes it a little hard to talk on the phone. 

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
9/28/22 1:51 p.m.

I'm watching the idiots on the news standing out in the wind in rain for their live shot. We get it, its windy and rainy... we can see the trees moving and sheets of water going across the parking lot.

Its not that the wind is blowing, its WHAT the wind is blowing.

I'm finally getting wind I can hear at my house. I'm watching the track of the storm and I hope it knows that we are outside the cone! There are going to be parts of the coast that are going to be a "do over", and not in a good way.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/28/22 1:58 p.m.

TWC has a Camera in a street on Ft Myers Beach. It's on a roughly 4' tall mount. It is almost underwater.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/28/22 1:58 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

Amazon and Walmart fulfillment center are shutdown in the area.  Shippers are holding trucks outside the area. 

NOOOOOOOOOOO!  What about the E36 M3 I ordered on Prime????!!!!  I can't wait!   Gaaaaaaaaah!

Berkeleying Bob Costases, it's just a breezy little rain! 

Mr_Asa
9/28/22 2:34 p.m.

2:25, power out.  Still have cell service, thankfully. 

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Q6qbvpXX1Vk9YujuigC5cZwX4tB6ROssTRAOGzhm1IM8hsSuEXP934zHwBE8b4qD