1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13
hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/29/22 5:07 p.m.

I spent part of the day raking debris and loading into cans. I moved my truck back to my driveway but not my car. It's still plenty windy and didn't seem like the thing to do as that space is a bit under an oak. Came back outside after taking a break to find a huge branch in the spot where I normally park the car. Small miracles. 

Still no power. I'll top off the generator tonight at 11 and let her run until she runs out of fuel. 

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
9/29/22 5:13 p.m.

Luckily missed us completely.  We didn't even get a drop of rain.  Just clouds and a little windy. 

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
9/29/22 5:18 p.m.

My bees made it through the storm OK. The power company topped a palm tree behind my apartments years ago because it was getting into a transformer. I left it there because some bee-bro's had moved in. The trunk is leaning on another palm and I'll leave it as long as it isn't going to take out a window on the back of the building.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/29/22 5:23 p.m.

In reply to jgrewe :

Bee-bros!

Should look into getting a hive or something for em.  Something a little safer

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/29/22 5:51 p.m.

Everything is as far from trees as I could get it. The news is saying it's back up to Cat 1 strength so some 70 plus winds could happen and we are supposed to get around 10 inches of rain. 

Fun times are ahead. 

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
9/29/22 6:51 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

The boat is behind the fence? 

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
9/29/22 6:55 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

You guys've got this. We already softened Ian up for you (I hope).

Margie

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/29/22 7:08 p.m.

In reply to Marjorie Suddard :

I appreciate you guys.  I told someone today that the whole state weaken Ian so that we didn't see as much.  Feel for our fellows in SW FL.  Having done a cat 5 it's never easy.

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
9/29/22 7:09 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

I don't know where I would put them. I could see setting up a hive on the property and some tenant messing with it, getting stung, then suing me. They have been there about 5 years without my help. I keep an eye on the angle of the dead tree trunk for them, and they do their thing for us.

If the tree starts to go I'll do some research on how to move them.

Stampie
9/29/22 7:15 p.m.

In reply to jgrewe :

There should be a local bee keeper or 100 willing to rescue them.  I agree with letting them stay where they are unless threatened.

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
9/29/22 7:37 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I called a couple a few years ago and they wanted to charge me over $500 to get rid of them. "We have to rent a lift, blah blah blah"

I told them I would carefully lower the tree one afternoon and they could do their thing the next morning. No takers for the free bees.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA UltraDork
9/29/22 7:55 p.m.

$300.00 and up is the going rate here in SE FL for hive removal. The people who have road side stands selling honey have hive removal signs posted, asking them gets the same price as exterminators $300.00 and up. With many hives being built in 2nd or 3rd floor walls or attics it can get expensive. All they need is an old hole from a cable wire or something on the exterior of a wall or soffit and they'll start a hive. I've moved queens to move a hive without a suit, but I wouldn't suggest it for a large hive.

Stampie
9/29/22 7:59 p.m.

In reply to jgrewe :

Damn I kinda want to come down and get them.  I helped a friend before and would love to have a hive myself.

Mr_Asa
9/29/22 8:08 p.m.

Need to find a hobbyist, not a professional.  I had a partial swarm at the house a couple years back and reached out to a bee keeping group.  President of the org came out in his ratty ole work truck, checked things out and determined we didn't need to mess with them as they were already leaving, and then talked to the wife and I for an hour about bees.  Good guy.  I'll dig for the email if you want.

In other news, still no power. Creeping up on 30 hours.  Saw that parts of the main road are slowly getting turned back on though, so hopefully I'll get woken up in the middle of the night with lights.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/29/22 8:19 p.m.

When you have to feed the generator and every station in the County is out of fuel.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/29/22 8:51 p.m.

Its cold!

but we have power, no internet though. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
9/29/22 8:57 p.m.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
9/29/22 9:02 p.m.

In reply to TJL (Forum Supporter) :

the dogs are all about it.

Mr_Asa
9/29/22 9:08 p.m.

Got tired of the back yard not draining.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/29/22 9:45 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

That looks way too much like actual work. 

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
9/29/22 10:38 p.m.

Which one of you did this?

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/29/22 10:44 p.m.

In my headcannon this is Mr. Asa's house and that E36 M3ty oak finally came down, but he was prepared*

*yeah I know it's a slash pine, go with me here

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
9/29/22 10:59 p.m.
Sine_Qua_Non said:

Which one of you did this?

It's a flat bed truck driver 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/29/22 11:11 p.m.

Still nothing from DrBoost. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
9/29/22 11:54 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Damn, hope he's ok. My BFF from the Marines lives just north of Tampa; his dad lives just south of Orlando. They both made it through water-logged but otherwise good.

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OpUWpwAnRPwftXFkFZdxm2HlXm1fYnHuz82T2y7ajjwppPVMr03B8ddTXayWXMvd