Which one of you did this?

It's a flat bed truck driver 

*Twang*

That's not going anywhere.

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
9/30/22 12:19 a.m.
CrustyRedXpress said:

In my headcannon this is Mr. Asa's house and that E36 M3ty oak finally came down, but he was prepared*

*yeah I know it's a slash pine, go with me here

The question is was it intuition or was it planned?? "Honey why is the car parked sideways in the driveway?" LOL  :0D

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/30/22 12:56 a.m.

In reply to MyMiatas :

I'm thinking that they probably wanted the car close to the house to have a windbreak, or else determined that if it was parked normally it could have blown away. 

But I personally would tell everyone I had been out there with all sorts of measuring devices for a week prior to calculate exactly where it should go, and act surprised when you find out that isn't common practice. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/30/22 4:02 a.m.

In reply to MyMiatas :

He may have had his garage door blown in during the last storm. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/30/22 6:30 a.m.
CrustyRedXpress said:

In my headcannon this is Mr. Asa's house and that E36 M3ty oak finally came down, but he was prepared*

*yeah I know it's a slash pine, go with me here

Several of my neighbors have south facing garages.  They all parked like this.  Depending on which way the wind is blowing, you can get a LOT of flex in a garage door.

Sometime it doesn't help.  Thats an F-150 under there.

Mr_Asa
9/30/22 6:31 a.m.

Still no power, and no estimate on when we will get power, BTW.

Mr_Asa
9/30/22 6:34 a.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

That looks way too much like actual work. 

Only so much sitting on your ass and reading books you've already read that you can do.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/30/22 7:35 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

The boat is at my parents place in a field. It shouldn't have any issues and there aren't any trees to bomb it. 

Toyman!
9/30/22 7:37 a.m.

In reply to Marjorie Suddard :

I'm pretty sure this will be a non event as long as the pines behind the house don't bomb my shop. 

There's not much left of the storm so I'm hopeful. 

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
9/30/22 7:49 a.m.

Good deal. It at least dragged some nice fall weather here behind it. Helpful for the cleanup that starts today. Be safe and let us know how you go.

Margie

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/30/22 7:53 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Still no power, and no estimate on when we will get power, BTW.

This morning at around 6 I passed at least 50 FPL bucket trucks with "Emergency Response Team" signs on them. Hopefully heading your way. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/30/22 7:54 a.m.

It was around 60 F this morning. Felt nice. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/30/22 8:00 a.m.

The Linemen rock, flat out. Its your job to leave your home and go get other people's power on in a disaster area. I know 3 linemen, my buddies 2 sons-in-law and his son. Show them some love and gratitude! 

today starts cleanup day. The water isnt flowing around my house anymore. Its pretty much staying in the main drainage canal, hauling arse. My neighbor and i cleared the drains yesterday. That involved dipping into water up to my head so i could fell and pull debris out of the mouth of the pipe. The water is going to be flowing hard for a while. Its ground water flowing out of the lake across the street. Just so much water!  I'll run into the woods today and see how crazy it is. All the sugar sand trails currently have water flowing through them like a crik. 

Toyman!
9/30/22 8:13 a.m.

If every hurricane came with a 59 degree morning and included sitting on the porch with a cup of coffee and a good cigar, I'd probably want one a month throughout the summer. 

It's kind of nice out here at the moment. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/30/22 8:36 a.m.
Sine_Qua_Non said:

I've seen a pic of a similar house like this, also in Florida, same kind of setup but it was strapped to rebar loops embedded in 3ft^3 concrete blocks in the yard on each side of the house. Also thought it might be someone on here laugh

TJL (Forum Supporter)
9/30/22 8:58 a.m.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/30/22 9:04 a.m.

I'd like my power back, please. I can only berkeley off to disney for so long before I get bored. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
9/30/22 9:18 a.m.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
9/30/22 9:53 a.m.

As for the parking in front of the door thing, yeah its to block wind. If the wind is coming from the west, i'll roll the car in the garage back until it touches the door to help keep it from bowing in. Also pull the other vehicles on the outside right up to the door. Hoping for less damage by having the vehicles hugged close to the house. Same with campers or enclosed trailers. Pull them along the house close on the leeward side of the wind. Dont want them rocking all over or blowing over. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/30/22 9:59 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:
Sine_Qua_Non said:

I've seen a pic of a similar house like this, also in Florida, same kind of setup but it was strapped to rebar loops embedded in 3ft^3 concrete blocks in the yard on each side of the house. Also thought it might be someone on here laugh

Help me here.

If this was done well, meaning solid anchors, and maybe more straps, would it help? I kinda think it would, and that makes me nervous.

Toyman!
9/30/22 10:52 a.m.

Sure it would help, but it would also probably damage the edge of the roof at each strap. The question is, would the help offset the damage. If the house didn't have hurricane straps installed when it was built, I'd say probably. Would it be enough to keep the roof on? Maybe. That's probably 40k pounds of straps. 

Mr_Asa
9/30/22 11:34 a.m.
Toyman! said:

Sure it would help, but it would also probably damage the edge of the roof at each strap. The question is, would the help offset the damage. If the house didn't have hurricane straps installed when it was built, I'd say probably. Would it be enough to keep the roof on? Maybe. That's probably 40k pounds of straps. 

I'd think distributing the strap would help.  Piece of 3/4" plywood under? Brace that with 2x4 so it doesn't curl up?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
9/30/22 11:40 a.m.
Toyman! said:

Sure it would help, but it would also probably damage the edge of the roof at each strap. The question is, would the help offset the damage. 

I was thinking that too- then I noticed he's got boards up there to distribute the strap load. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/30/22 11:41 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:
Toyman! said:

I'd think distributing the strap would help.  Piece of 3/4" plywood under? Brace that with 2x4 so it doesn't curl up?

I see 2x4s under the straps on the edge of the roof in that picture, so it clears the edge of the roof and gutters.

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/30/22 11:57 a.m.

I'm thinking that method will manage to keep some of the pieces on the property and not down the street.

1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6gvR2OTo3pqlS5VvqF655y1FhgjuPbOB1cxHgNVnPmBFE3jKUt9O8xxCbv3395N3