1 2 3 4
tuna55
tuna55 HalfDork
7/20/10 11:28 a.m.

Good bossman just gave me the heads up. 40% before August, and I am on the list. Oh well. Anyone looking for a good mechanical engineer in Greenville SC?

Laugh at my misfortune!

triumph5
triumph5 Reader
7/20/10 11:33 a.m.

Isn't Hyundai hiring down there? Sorry you're being let go". At least you didn't get the, "now you can all turn around and go back home" notice. Good luck.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Reader
7/20/10 11:35 a.m.

Too bad you're not an 8-year old girl in China. You would be in high demand fabricating consumer electronics for sale in the US!

I'm not laughing. Good luck!

tuna55
tuna55 HalfDork
7/20/10 11:41 a.m.

I am seriously blessed either way. I already have one lead and my boss gave me a few weeks notice plus gave me time to search for jobs during work hours. We have a meager savings account and my wife still has a job - not too bad.

Montgomery Alabama is nearly 6 hours away, plus they don't have any open jobs of relevance (I looked because relocation is a possibility)

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
7/20/10 11:44 a.m.

Thats pretty decent of your boss - really decent actually. Last round that went thru here, people just disappeared body-snatchers style...Im still not entirely certain the guy in accounting is 100% human. Good luck!

triumph5
triumph5 Reader
7/20/10 11:53 a.m.

Agreed. Sounds like your Boss isn't a bad guy; maybe he's in the next round. I mistakenly thought you'd be closer to Hyundai than you are. Take some time, your brain will need it. Then make it your job to get a job, or your sanity--and your wife's--will slowly slip away. Thankfully she has a job, so you'll have income, and there's unemployment (Ii hope) to help you out.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
7/20/10 11:55 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: I am seriously blessed either way. I already have one lead and my boss gave me a few weeks notice plus gave me time to search for jobs during work hours. We have a meager savings account and my wife still has a job - not too bad. Montgomery Alabama is nearly 6 hours away, plus they don't have any open jobs of relevance (I looked because relocation is a possibility)

Double agreed. Good on your boss for the heads-up and not burning the bridge. Way to stay positive d00d. Hope you find something quickly.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
7/20/10 11:55 a.m.

Good luck, man. So far I am avoiding that fate, but since we're sending our last current big project out the door this week, I can't help but wonder a little. Hopefully something new will come in before the residual work we have dries up.

Sounds like you have a good boss and could have a worse family situation. Good luck to you, man. What kind of ME are you?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
7/20/10 11:59 a.m.

Sorry tuna... the writing is on the wall here too - sounds like your boss is a decent guy to have given you the heads-up while you are still cashing checks. It helps considerably when interviewing.

Not laughing. Good luck.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/20/10 12:04 p.m.

Sorry to hear that dude, good luck on your hunt!

tuna55
tuna55 HalfDork
7/20/10 12:17 p.m.

Thanks for the support folks. My boss is definitely a huge help. I have been guessing that it was coming, but he has pointed it out exactly for me so I can step up the job search like a crazy person and stop spending any money on anything.

God will take care of me and my family, even if it means having to skip meals for their sakes, but I definitely will have to find something soon, because we can only skip so many. Incidentally, Gandhi once fasted for longer than our new product lasted in bench testing, so I am not too sad to be leaving this company.

Duke, I am currently a Test Engineer, but I've also served a Design and Quality function.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
7/20/10 12:31 p.m.

OK, I'll see if I hear of anything. Unfortunately, most of the MEs I would know about would be for building mechanical systems and HVAC. Either way, good luck!

oldtin
oldtin HalfDork
7/20/10 12:41 p.m.

Sorry to hear it. Good to know your boss is a decent sort. Catch yer breath - then go make something happen.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/20/10 12:41 p.m.

Good luck. It was way nice of your boss to help out. Hopefully your next one will be as considerate (under different circumstances...)!

Stan

sobe_death
sobe_death Reader
7/20/10 1:16 p.m.

Check with Caterpillar. Our Marine engine plant in Greenville is pretty busy. I'll keep an ear out for you as well.

tuna55
tuna55 HalfDork
7/20/10 1:50 p.m.
sobe_death wrote: Check with Caterpillar. Our Marine engine plant in Greenville is pretty busy. I'll keep an ear out for you as well.

I will, but last I saw they were all temp jobs, although temp is better than nothing now that the layoff is here.

Thanks

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/20/10 3:52 p.m.

Sorry to hear that. If you do't mind relocation, you might check with Boeing and its spinoff companies down here in Chuck.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
7/20/10 6:07 p.m.

Boy I remember when MEs had pick of the litter and everything. This shows the economy REALLY sucks. There used to be a lot of jobs in the Greenville area. I assume BMW and Michelin isn't hiring ME right now. I agree with Jensenman, check with Boeing. I have nothing else to offer. Sounds like you are ahead of the game anyway.

triumph5
triumph5 Reader
7/20/10 6:39 p.m.

I know General Dynamics in New London/Groton, CT,, is currently, and is planning on hiring engineers this summer, as they expand into Pfizer's old World Headquaters. It would mean a relocate for you and yours, or take it and send the $$ home while staying here in CT., But the news is they are hiring Mechanical and electrical engineers this summer.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/20/10 6:43 p.m.
Jensenman wrote: Sorry to hear that. If you do't mind relocation, you might check with Boeing and its spinoff companies down here in Chuck.

Yes. Do this... Boeing is going nuts..

If you want connections to the inside, PM me and I will link you on linked in..

Sorry to hear about your situation. I went through it over a year ago. But if this is any consolation, I made more money the year I was booted than I've ever made in my life... Keep looking for the silver lining.

Mikey52_1
Mikey52_1 Reader
7/21/10 6:06 a.m.

Have you considered setting up as a consulting engineer? Might be worth a thought. You might even be able to stay where you are as a hired consultant.

Good luck with whatever happens. Prez O apparently hasn't heard that the economy hasn't recovered. You obviously know the truth, though.

tuna55
tuna55 HalfDork
7/21/10 7:14 a.m.

Any specialized engineering firm around wants PEs, which I don't have (and don't really want).

I will definitely look into Boeing if I end up moving, thanks Ig.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/21/10 9:28 a.m.

I am glad you got warning. last time I got laid off was a week before Christmas. According to my boss, who was fighting to at least keep through to new years... his boss told him that I was lucky he let me finish the week,

tuna55
tuna55 HalfDork
7/27/10 6:21 a.m.

In the meantime, everyone can buy my furniture.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TakesTwoFurniture

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
7/27/10 6:38 a.m.
Mikey52_1 wrote: Prez O apparently hasn't heard that the economy hasn't recovered. You obviously know the truth, though.

Srsly? this was not a political thread, but way to take it there

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ago9zgbalPEaDOcvValQ3YTjlzGZ4Ab53NOQphK9jyfZnDB99Uvax4iHEyTaQsDg