7/27/10 8:55 a.m.

Huntsville Al has more engineering jobs than any other place, check it out:

http://asmartplace.com/

And there's always the Government:

http://govjobs.com/

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
7/27/10 9:09 a.m.
awebb wrote: Huntsville Al has more engineering jobs than any other place, check it out: http://asmartplace.com/ And there's always the Government: http://govjobs.com/

With the gov killing NASA's next big thing though, it would seem that NASA would be down sizing, and thus a bunch of ex-NASA guys would be on the market. True or no?

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
7/27/10 9:12 a.m.

We just hired a Mechanical Engineer, graduated from RIT a month ago. If he signs an agreement to stay on for 5 years, we pick up all his student loans.

Hmmmm, RIT = $25k/year X 4, that was easy.

We have offices all over the Country.

http://www.usajobs.gov/

The_Jed
The_Jed Reader
7/27/10 9:12 a.m.

The company I work for has an opening for a Design Engineer.

It's located in Pekin, Illinois. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

awebb
awebb New Reader
7/27/10 12:26 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote:
awebb wrote: Huntsville Al has more engineering jobs than any other place, check it out: http://asmartplace.com/ And there's always the Government: http://govjobs.com/
With the gov killing NASA's next big thing though, it would seem that NASA would be down sizing, and thus a bunch of ex-NASA guys would be on the market. True or no?

Right now, yes that's true. Nasa just made some MASSIVE cutbacks basically killing off all their contract positions.

BUT

From rumors, the president is picking up new contracts in a few months. So there should be a bunch of contracts open back up soon (ish).

Not to mention that they're building a new research park on the Arsenal and they're shifting a bunch of the defense work to the Arsenal.

Short version is as long as the Arsenal's in Huntsville, there'll be jobs here. And the Arsenal's not going anywhere.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/27/10 1:26 p.m.
Mikey52_1 wrote: Good luck with whatever happens. Prez O apparently hasn't heard that the economy hasn't recovered. You obviously know the truth, though.

OMG LOLZ I C WHAT U DID THAIR! BLAME PREZ 4 EVRYTHG!

sucks about your job man. i clicked thinking i would be reading about some synthetic man made fishmeat replacing tuna but then i saw your screen name and knew it wasn't cool.

good luck with the job hunt

captain_napalm
captain_napalm Reader
7/28/10 9:16 a.m.
patgizz wrote: i clicked thinking i would be reading about some synthetic man made fishmeat replacing tuna...

I clicked thinking it was something about Bill Parcells.

pigeon
pigeon HalfDork
7/28/10 10:18 a.m.
914Driver wrote: We just hired a Mechanical Engineer, graduated from RIT a month ago. If he signs an agreement to stay on for 5 years, we pick up all his student loans. Hmmmm, RIT = $45k/year X 4, that was easy. We have offices all over the Country. http://www.usajobs.gov/

I fixed it for you - a good friend is the Registrar at RIT and it's ain't cheap there. I keep telling my wife she has to go work for him in 2 years so that my kids will go to school there (or any of the places they have full reciprocity with) free tuition - even if she's making minimum wage as a clerk once you figure in the tuition benefit it's suddenly a good paying job.

captain_napalm
captain_napalm Reader
7/28/10 10:55 a.m.

I went to SUNY Brockport, much cheaper

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
7/28/10 12:15 p.m.

Hey Tuna! Omnisource (the metal people) were advertising an ME job for the Greenville, SC office. Check the local GV and Sptbg papers.

tuna55
tuna55 HalfDork
7/28/10 3:09 p.m.
spitfirebill wrote: Hey Tuna! Omnisource (the metal people) were advertising an ME job for the Greenville, SC office. Check the local GV and Sptbg papers.

Thanks, just grabbed that one and sent them a resume - I appreciate the heads up.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
7/28/10 3:35 p.m.

Good luck.

BTW these are the folks that shred the off-spec BMWs and test cars.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/28/10 6:32 p.m.
pigeon wrote:
914Driver wrote: We just hired a Mechanical Engineer, graduated from RIT a month ago. If he signs an agreement to stay on for 5 years, we pick up all his student loans. Hmmmm, RIT = $45k/year X 4, that was easy. We have offices all over the Country. http://www.usajobs.gov/
I fixed it for you - a good friend is the Registrar at RIT and it's ain't cheap there. I keep telling my wife she has to go work for him in 2 years so that my kids will go to school there (or any of the places they have full reciprocity with) free tuition - even if she's making minimum wage as a clerk once you figure in the tuition benefit it's suddenly a good paying job.

Yeah I went there 10 years ago and it was $25k a year... HAHAHAHAHahahahahahahah.

tuna55
tuna55 HalfDork
8/24/10 8:59 a.m.

Two interviews with GE, one last week and one this week, two different positions. Another interview with Richmond Gear tomorrow, and Morgan AM&T wants me to interview next week, although the travel would be terrible.

And the layoff was this past Friday, and I am still employed.

Weird. God did take care of us, just not like I was thinking... again...

f86sabjf
f86sabjf Reader
8/24/10 7:48 p.m.

He does move in mysterious ways sometimes

I went thru this last year . At the time i thought it was the end so to speak. Now I know it was the best thing that could have happened to my wife and I .

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/24/10 10:11 p.m.

I got canned on Friday the 13th. The VW rep had a cow and is working to get me a job at another facility. Until then I am having fun on a state sponsored holiday while doing the minimum to keep my unemployment current and looking for a proper career path.

I loved what the reason for termination was: "Employee was not a perfect fit for our organization." I trained my replacement, he happened to be the guy who sold my former boss a motorcycle... ZERO service/writing/automotive experience... Good luck with that one guys ;) I have three techs that want me to tell them where I land so they can leave as well, regardless of manufacturer.

Good luck with your hunt Tuna.

81gtv6
81gtv6 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/25/10 8:47 a.m.

In reply to John Brown:

That really blows, good luck.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
8/25/10 9:09 a.m.

John, good luck man - Im sure youll land on your feet...most smart people do, but in your case, other people do to

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
8/25/10 9:41 a.m.

Its amazing how many people train their own replacement. Of course they aren't told that's what's going to happen when the comapny hires some newb that doesn't have the sense to come in out of the rain.

MitchellC
MitchellC Dork
8/25/10 12:59 p.m.

I applied to intern at Nucor Steel in SC a few years back, just outside of Charleston. They seemed like a great company, and they may have some positions open.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/25/10 1:18 p.m.
John Brown wrote: I got canned on Friday the 13th. The VW rep had a cow and is working to get me a job at another facility. Until then I am having fun on a state sponsored holiday while doing the minimum to keep my unemployment current and looking for a proper career path. I loved what the reason for termination was: "Employee was not a perfect fit for our organization." I trained my replacement, he happened to be the guy who sold my former boss a motorcycle... ZERO service/writing/automotive experience... Good luck with that one guys ;) I have three techs that want me to tell them where I land so they can leave as well, regardless of manufacturer. Good luck with your hunt Tuna.

Sorry to hear about that, dude. BTDT. Best of luck to you.

Service managers are always looking for a way to cut costs and when a SA starts getting a good rep and clientele his/her pay starts going up. That becomes a real tempting target for cost cutting, problem is most SMs don't realize that the pay is commission (which reflects high sales) and thus they are cutting off their noses to spite their faces.

There is also a movement afoot in the dealership bidness to make the service writer a salesman first and foremost. Some of the 'consultants' actually recommend hiring those high pressure copier salesmen. That will work in the short run, but over the long run... not so much. Problem is, one of those assclowns gets into the GM's office and starts flapping around all this paper showing sales increases, well, since most of those guys came up through the sales ranks they fall for it hook, line and sinker.

Then the service CSI starts dropping and the GM starts screaming because that's one of the most important parts of his job: customer satisfaction. But for whatever reason they refuse to see the connection. :rolleyes:

MitchellC
MitchellC Dork
8/25/10 4:47 p.m.

Employees that interact directly with customers are probably the most significant contributors to the company's reputation. Any company that doesn't realize this is doomed sooner or later.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/25/10 7:18 p.m.

I got a call back for one of my dream jobs today, Endurance Test Driver for Chrysler Proving which is about 30 miles from my house. Pay is good but it is a temporary position so no benefits initially. One positive is that it gets a foot in the door.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/25/10 7:35 p.m.

Getting a foot in the door is often all it takes, congrats!

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
8/25/10 8:54 p.m.
John Brown wrote: I got canned on Friday the 13th. The VW rep had a cow and is working to get me a job at another facility. Until then I am having fun on a state sponsored holiday while doing the minimum to keep my unemployment current and looking for a proper career path. I loved what the reason for termination was: "Employee was not a perfect fit for our organization." I trained my replacement, he happened to be the guy who sold my former boss a motorcycle... ZERO service/writing/automotive experience... Good luck with that one guys ;) I have three techs that want me to tell them where I land so they can leave as well, regardless of manufacturer. Good luck with your hunt Tuna.

Maybe, with any luck, VW will ship you to France to work for those silly Bugatti people...

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YZPghPos4c7TXg3ghnXyvphIWTK4vPR1tGHB5qh4PnnFD6PDT2juqK2ltD3XZ6K9