gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
1/28/22 1:22 p.m.

I got a tv as a gift from work for 10 years with the company. It is an off brand, nothing fancy. I was going to put it in the barn shop, but it gets really cold in there, just as cold as outside. So like below zero sometimes. Will that hurt the tv? 

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/22 1:30 p.m.

I never had any issues when I had one mounted in my detached garage.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/28/22 1:32 p.m.

I picked a TV up off the side of the road a while back, and it seems to be fine. I don't use it in freezing temps, but the freezing temps don't seem to have hurt it thus far. 

YMMV. 

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/28/22 3:54 p.m.

We have TVs and ATM screens that work outside at -40 in Fairbanks. It's probably ok.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
1/28/22 7:41 p.m.

I have a decade old Vizio in the detached garage humming along.  You should be golden.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
1/28/22 9:25 p.m.

If you have problems with flat screens in the cold get a tube TV. They don't give a crap. This goes for hot weather too.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/22 10:22 p.m.

I have often wondered what what temp an LCD will freeze.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/28/22 10:41 p.m.
93gsxturbo said:

I have a decade old Vizio in the detached garage humming along.  You should be golden.

Mine is 15 years old, and it's been in the barn for about the last 5. It's currently 3 degrees. It's been fine so far, but if I go out there tomorrow and the cold has killed it, it owes me nothing.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/29/22 9:47 a.m.
mad_machine said:

I have often wondered what what temp an LCD will freeze.

About 18 degrees from what I'm told.  Fortunately the liquid doesn't expand like water when it freezes so it probably won't get damaged, it just won't work until the  backlight heats it up enough to flow/dissolve

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
1/29/22 2:52 p.m.

When I moved my kid out west in early January we had to leave the lcd tv in the back of the truck. The coldest it got was about a 24 hour stretch at -35c. I was sure it was going to be wrecked. But after leaving it inside unplugged for a day to warm up it was fine. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jDeI2YBIPKzLauoZXJ9xZ3ZNUGhoGC7kPq0nUVEjs6zpugVgoS9PoCbV5Qd237CT