1 2 3 ... 82
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/6/22 2:29 a.m.

If you're new to this thread, you are more than welcome to read this post, but on Page 6, we open this up to include different avenues of Ukrainian relief and I think that's probably where this thread is going to really start.  The TLDR of pages 1 through 5 is we donated 2-million Hungarian forint (just over $6000usd) to the shelter below, and then...  well, I don't really know where we go from there because we're on page 6 still laugh

Whatever we do.  I hope it's good, and worth your attention, and thank you for reading.

Bill.  3/22/2022

I started a new thread instead of posting this in the "Russian Invasion" thread, as I didn't want this to get buried and some may be dissuaded from visiting the Russian Invasion thread due to the topic or just the sheer size of the dang thing (currently over 60 pages!).

In the Russian Invasion thread, multiple people have expressed their interest in sending money to assist the Ukrainian Refugees, but didn't know the best way to effectively put that money to the best use.  To that I think we have a solution:

Kisgorbo is a small village about 64kms from where I live in Papa, Hungary.  It has been brought to our attention that the mayor (Polgarmester) of that town is turning an abandoned school into a Refugee shelter that is intended to house up to 45 Ukrainian refugees.  They have a Facebook page for the village that discusses the topic, you can see it here:

Kisgorbo Facebook Page

Zala County Relief Aid

In the "Russian Invasion" thread, I was mistakenly under the impression that the village had received donations and the 15-heat pumps they needed to start the construction had already been purchased.  As of our correspondence with the mayor (who wrote a VERY articulate letter in English) yesterday, that is not the case.  You can read his letter, exactly as we received it, below ("Katie" is a fellow American in town, who is also organizing relief aid):

So why this place:  Location, amount of effort compared to size.  This is a flyweight team trying to take on a heavyweight challenge.  To me, that's the GRM spirit.  Most importantly (I thought) was the willingness to offer a long term solution for the families that arrive.

How can we help:  I have a paypal account attached to (Redacted) that isn't often used.  It is directly attached to my Hungarian bank account.  From donations I've received so far, there appear to be no transfer fees, or currency conversion fees associated with the account.  From there I can transfer funds from that account directly to the account listed by the Mayor in the above note.  If you want to send a test e-mail to the account before transferring the funds, the account is (Redacted).

Or you can 100% donate directly to the Mayor yourself if that option exists with your stateside bank.  The IBAN/SWIFT is listed in his letter.

When can we help:  Unfortunately, I am not able to assist with this one long term.  Locally I've organized an effort with approximately 40 refugees that have come to town, and in doing so I've learned that it takes a LOT of time to keep things organized and flowing.  The Mayor also said he needed the funds to pay for the heaters by "next week", that would be "this week" I believe.  With all that, I would like to close donations by Thursday March 10 @ 10pm PST (That would be 8am Friday to us in Hungary).  Hopefully that will allow us to meet his first deadline.

Future efforts may be possible if the community is willing, but we can discuss that later.

Who can help:  I'd like to keep this pretty GRM, if possible please.  By all means, you can share this with those individuals who are absolutely closest to you but please have them include your GRM User Name in the paypal transfer, and please ask them not to share any further (as to not allow for the possibility for exponential growth, plus it makes communication difficult if this goes outside the forum).  The efforts of your Community or church organizations are welcome but I have to ask you to take responsibility and act as the POC, coordinator, and voice  please as they are able to swing a much bigger hammer than I think I am able to handle on an individual level (I want to try to keep most/all communication through this thread).  This rule may change in the future, but I've learned a lot from my trial by fire this last week and one of those things I've learned was I have to approach these things cautiously at first, but can turn up the volume later if needed.

What are we helping:  100% of funds received go straight to the account the mayor listed in his letter.  No admin fees, no transfer fees, no nothing.  The deal is, we'll give any donated money "no strings attached".  Whether it's used in the setup of the facility, or for the long term care of the residents, it's 100% up to the man running the show.  Of course, I will tell him the organization that donated (GRM Magazine, and it's awesome family of forum supporters), I will take lots of pictures when (not if) I visit, and of course I will share any updates I can with you here on the board.

I think that about covers it!  If you're still reading, thank you.  You guys are awesome people.

TLDR?

Ukraine Refugees, paypal attached to the PM e-mail address, Secret Squirrel please.

3/6/22 2:33 a.m.

Katie is visiting the facility today, so I should have our first update shortly, but here are the pictures we've received so far:

3/6/22 3:50 a.m.

Quick update for clarification:

The exchange rate for the US Dollar to Hungarian Forint is very much in the favor of the USD right now.  Normally 1-USD buys about 300-HUF, but at the moment 1-USD is worth 350-HUF.

The 800,000huf mentioned in the Mayor's letter is about $2,250USD.

The heat pumps cost about 150,000huf each, and I believe they are installing 15 of them.  This places the cost of each unit @ $425.00USD (normally would be closer to $500).

I hope that info helps put things into perspective a little.

And guys, please feel free to meme the hell out of this.  It's a E36 M3 situation, and I think some good 'ol fashioned E36 M3-posting would probably do everyone's spirits a lot of good wink

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
3/6/22 8:51 a.m.

Thank you for adding this topic, Bill. It's wonderful to have a direct way to help.

Margie

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
3/6/22 9:19 a.m.
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) said:

TLDR?

Ukraine Refugees, paypal attached to the PM e-mail address, Secret Squirrel please.

Help me out...if I click on your name, I then see your signature and garage, and there's a button in the upper right labeled 'contact'.  If I click on that it opens up a message box where I can contact you, but I don't see an email address.  Do I need to send you a message and then you reply, or am I missing something?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/6/22 9:35 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

The email address you need is

willgrow3   at the popular email service that starts with G. 

Hungry Bill runs the new years game here at GRM and if you've ever played, that is the address he uses here on GRM. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
3/6/22 9:38 a.m.

Thanks!  I missed that when reading his post.  

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
3/6/22 10:31 a.m.

Thanks Hungary Bill.  So happy to see the GRM spirit helping others in need sir.

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/6/22 10:51 a.m.

related, if not exactly.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/6/22 10:58 a.m.

IN for more than I'd normally give, mostly because Hungary Bill is a genuinely solid dude, but also because berkeley Pootin.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/6/22 11:27 a.m.

Donation sent Bill - please confirm you see the PP deposit. Thanks for the energy you're giving this. 

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/6/22 11:31 a.m.

Funds sent!

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
3/6/22 11:43 a.m.

Funds sent!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/6/22 12:50 p.m.

Question that's too late for me but might help future donors:

should we take the default PayPal conversion to hungarybux, or choose to donate in USD?

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/6/22 3:22 p.m.

Funds sent! Thank you, Bill, for taking this on!

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/6/22 3:29 p.m.

Sent, thanks for putting this together. 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/6/22 3:39 p.m.

The large German conglomerate that I work for is matching everything that employees donate, so I'm doing it that way, but good on you, Bill, and all the folks supporting his efforts.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/6/22 5:33 p.m.

Handful of HUFs coming your way.

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
3/6/22 5:54 p.m.

Add my HUFs to those from the group above!   Thanks Bill, you're a Rockstar!

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/6/22 7:40 p.m.

In to help the efforts. Hopefully you get a big stack of HUFs to assist. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/6/22 8:06 p.m.

HUFs inbound, Bill. 

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) said:

related, if not exactly.

What's the relation between the dollar, the pound, and the ruble?

A pound of rubles is worth a dollar.

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
3/6/22 8:25 p.m.

Bill said to meme the heck out of this so here’s my feeble effort

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/6/22 8:27 p.m.

Donation made in US dollars due to my interpretation of this statement "From donations I've received so far, there appear to be no transfer fees, or currency conversion fees associated with the account." in the original post.  I assume that  PayPal is taking a cut to do the conversion, so it seems that not having them do the conversion should get more money on target.  Let us know which way best accomplishes this when you get a chance to come up for air.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/6/22 8:42 p.m.

In reply to secretariata (Forum Supporter) :

There was a $4.99 conversion fee on my end of the transaction.  Added to total, not subtracted from converted funds.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
3/6/22 9:02 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

That's what I saw as well.  It said the amount I sent would go in full, I just had to pay the additional fee at my end of the transaction.

1 2 3 ... 82

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MxTtbUHOMTN3OKA5b5JCnu3Snx5btdpql19J215v7LRbGSEYYD27Ef76kTOZBSCo