1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 82
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/10/22 3:49 p.m.

In reply to 84FSP and BMW88 :

I'll send you guys an e-mail tomorrow, let's brainstorm.

I've got a 4-day trip to the US planned in June for work as well, and I think we can work together to make the best use of our travel.  There's a lot we can't get locally, and it's not super big so it should fit in our luggage no prob.

We may also be able to get creative with Germany travel, as I'll be there in early July, and Italy is only 4-5 hours away depending on where you are.

Cheers!

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
5/10/22 3:54 p.m.
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) said:

I've got a 4-day trip to the US planned in June for work as well, and I think we can work together to make the best use of our travel.  There's a lot we can't get locally, and it's not super big so it should fit in our luggage no prob.

We may also be able to get creative with Germany travel, as I'll be there in early July, and Italy is only 4-5 hours away depending on where you are.

Cheers!

Sounds good, I'll be a handful places in Germany, Italy, and France from the 6th-15th.  I have a weekend in there as well that might work.  

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/22 5:16 p.m.

Cheers!

one of the things on the list of needed medical supplies was "Oxygen Concentrator".  as luck would have it, i've got one brand new in the box, a Devilbiss 306DS dated 2014.  it was donated to our church during a canned food drive a few years ago (wtf, right?!?!) and someone said "PC will know what to do with it!"  so i put it on a shelf in my garage, LOL.  i would be honored to donate it, but was not sure about how to get it across the ocean to you.  Let's talk.

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
5/10/22 5:44 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Cheers!

one of the things on the list of needed medical supplies was "Oxygen Concentrator".  as luck would have it, i've got one brand new in the box, a Devilbiss 306DS dated 2014.  it was donated to our church during a canned food drive a few years ago (wtf, right?!?!) and someone said "PC will know what to do with it!"  so i put it on a shelf in my garage, LOL.  i would be honored to donate it, but was not sure about how to get it across the ocean to you.  Let's talk.

I'll likely be in Detroit again before the Europe trip in case Bill needs it.  We can always hook up for some coneys again.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
5/10/22 6:05 p.m.

Just check that it will work on European voltage.....

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/10/22 8:06 p.m.

Cheers!

I know a guy that deals in them as well. Let me know how badly they are needed and I'll ask if he wants to donate. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/11/22 9:15 a.m.

Sounds good Bill. I'll be flying in and out of Krakow, Poland and have a car. Looking to come over early July and leave to Asia some time after the Dutch GP.

I'll be in Hungary for part of the time visiting friends in Budapest and hopefully working the Hungary GP. (Been begging the race director for weeks) We will have to connect for a few beverages and a delivery for sure. 

Mike

5/11/22 2:34 p.m.
tuna55 said:

Cheers!

I know a guy that deals in them as well. Let me know how badly they are needed and I'll ask if he wants to donate. 

I checked the specs on that model and the AC adapter works with 110 and 220v, so we're good.  It'll need a plug adapter, but I have plenty of those laying around at the house.

With regards to "how badly they are needed":  They are as high up on the list as they can be with regards to the Hospitaller's "most needed" items list.  Not many people are donating them looks like, and with a retail price ranging from a grand up to $3000 (depending on accessories) I can see why.  Tuna55, if you know someone who works in the industry and would be willing to donate one, it looks like we have a couple avenues to relay that thing across the ocean (and I would happily beg for one time APO access if it was needed to support something like this). 

I would say I think GRM has found it's hot ticket item.

I've sent out e-mails to Angry Corvair, bmw88rider, and 84FSP so we can better coordinate.  Once we know our schedules we can start making a plan (and I love it when a plan comes together).

I dont think I could ever say it enough.  You guys are awesome and amazing. 

Cheers guys.

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
5/11/22 3:32 p.m.

We're on it Bill - responded to your mail and already in touch with Patrick on the concentrator.  

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/11/22 3:35 p.m.

Bill, please let me know if you need any OEM Toyota parts to keep the 4Runner happy. I have a wholesale connection at the local dealership and am happy to do whatever ground work needs doing to keep this operation operational. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/11/22 4:25 p.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) :

He said he's found in the past that his concentrators don't do 50 Hz for long, even with a step down transformer he doesn't have any success with them, and the transformer is on the board.

Sorry!!

5/13/22 9:04 a.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

Ah brutal, but I can totally understand.  It would have been cool though.  Thanks for looking into it for us!

5/13/22 9:32 a.m.
DarkMonohue said:

Bill, please let me know if you need any OEM Toyota parts to keep the 4Runner happy. I have a wholesale connection at the local dealership and am happy to do whatever ground work needs doing to keep this operation operational. 

I swear the truck works laugh

Actually, I might be hitting you up for a few pieces eventually.  My highbeams come on randomly and I think it's the high-beam relay that's doing it (or the multifunction switch, but I think that's a distant second chance).

But speaking of parts, this post is for you:

So loaded up with food, baby gear, and clothes for the Budapest shelters and the night before I get a call "we need you in the office by 1330 tomorrow".

Yikes, that means I gotta get out the door early, drop off quick, and floor it all the way back home if I'm going to make it.  The timer officially starts at 7am and we are FULL to the roof with stuff:

Unfortunately, the front seat had to be reorganized as the youngest Hungarling was going to ditch pre-school and accompany me for this trip (we had an awesome time.  There was McDonalds and everything)

Anyhoo, we're loaded, we're pointed east, and we are truckin!  But I can't shake the feeling that something's not right.  I've driven enough oil leaking vehicles to recognize when the view in my mirrors looks a little "blue" and a little "hazy".  Except normally if the leak is bad enough I can usually catch "puffs" or small moments of clarity between emissions.  I'm not getting that with this one.

Instead I keep catching signs of oil burning in my peripherials, but when I stare directly into the mirror (on a pothole ridden, 2-lane paved dirt road with oncomming traffic) I REALLy can't tell if I have a problem or not...

I got a few tricks up my sleeves though.  First, when there's no traffic I slow way down.  Still no visible smoke.

Ok, romp on it.  REALLY rev the engine through the gears.  Still no smoke coming out the exhaust.

But dang it.  I would SWEAR that the world has that hazy blue view to it from my side view mirrors...  and then it happens.  I get passed by a van.

Now, Hungarians don't hold back.  They get RIGHT up on your bumper before they pass.  Except not this guy.  He started out on my bumper (that's normal enough).  Then he dropped way back (weird, did he decide not to pass?).  He was at least two car lengths back before he ran back up and went around.

That's not normal.

Going back to me driving enough oil leakers that I can tell when I have a problem?  Yeah.  This is how people pass my oil leakers when things are REALLY bad.  And to drive the point home, another van does the same thing...

I pull over

and it is everywhere.

I tell the youngest that our trip is over and he's super bummed.  I take a good look at the leak and think it's my oil pump o-ring I mentioned (it takes a LOT to have this high of a leak rate) but the leak path doesn't follow.  Instead it leads to the top-back of my engine. 

Rear main?

Nope.  Valve cover seal, looks like.  (insert cold chill).

In the picture below, you'll notice a black seal that looks like a "half moon" on the front of my valve cover:

There's a second one the back side, and a quick check with my hand tells me it is completely missing.  surprise

There's no question really.  I was just in there torquing my heads, and I'm 100% sure I checked that dang thing but I must have bumped it out of the way when I reinstalled my valve cover.

Bummer.

I'm two liters low at this point (I can tell because the dip stick is dry) but I still had two liters of oil in the truck that I bought in Poland on my last trip.  I top it up, and I'm just off the full line so I briefly ponder about trying to make a run back to my driveway.  But then I decide a tow truck might be better...  Then I start thinking about what I'm hauling and wonder if I couldn't fab a patch...  The donations would be off limits, but maybe I can take off a sock, wad it up, and zip tie it in place.  That would certainly slow things down, wouldn't it?

As I'm filling up with the second liter of oil, something on the transmission bellhousing catches my eye:

One blister burn on the back of my hand later, and I've got the seal!!!!!

Oh, there's nothing for it now!  We're pressing on!

I dig around behind my driver's seat and I find the lineman pliers still in there from my Lviv trip (insert devil horns here).  At this point I would like to thank my broke ass parents, and just about every year of my money-less independent life between the ages of 19 and about 30.  The education I got from then, is exactly why I'll succeed now.  Here goes:

(pay attention kid.  This is how you fix somethin when you got nothin)

Luckily everything came apart easily enough.  I didn't break any of the vacuum lines, or strip out any of the nuts (they're a bit uglier now, from a bit of slippage).  Got the seal set back in place, and got it all back together.

We stopped a bit later to buy two more liters of oil from the gas station, and everything was still rock solid.

15 minutes after that, we checked again.  Good to go.  And a good thing too!  Because Pastor Kovacs's donation table was completely empty surprise

not any more! laugh

I'll have to make another trip soon to keep this guy stocked.  Can't have him visiting shelters and not bringing anything.

DarkMonohue
5/13/22 10:25 a.m.

Hell of a story.  That's getting it done.  Sounds like time for a fresh pair of half moons and a tube of FIPG or Right Stuff.

Hungerling the Younger is, no doubt, building an impressive library of "my dad can fix anything" stories, among many others.  Your Superdad cape and tights are on order.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/13/22 10:29 a.m.

Good show, my friend.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/13/22 10:39 a.m.

Cheers!

I'll be in Hamburg in July, too.

5/13/22 2:30 p.m.
DarkMonohue said:

Hell of a story.  That's getting it done.  Sounds like time for a fresh pair of half moons and a tube of FIPG or Right Stuff.

Hungerling the Younger is, no doubt, building an impressive library of "my dad can fix anything" stories, among many others.  Your Superdad cape and tights are on order.

Yeah, the truck's got fresh gaskets from end to end but Mr. Murphey loves to mess with me.  I forgot to tell you that I'll might hit you up for a full gasket set once the dust settles a bit.  Better to have 'em and not need 'em, than need 'em and not have them laugh

5/13/22 2:33 p.m.
tuna55 said:

Good show, my friend.

Oh man, I forgot the funny part!

When I fired her back up after plugging the oil leak, this song came on the radio:

https://youtu.be/h6Ol3eprKiw

Kickin my "one wheel peel" to get back on the road with both windows down and the chorus from that blaring out from under the dash was quite the laugh  (and unsettlingly fitting for the occasion) 

good times laugh

5/13/22 2:34 p.m.
m4ff3w said:

Cheers!

I'll be in Hamburg in July, too.

I sent him the info.  It's going to be a tough juggle, but we'll work something out.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/13/22 4:44 p.m.

Dang, heck of a save. Keep on truckin'.

VikkiDp
VikkiDp New Reader
5/14/22 7:43 a.m.

My respect to mayor Kozma! The person with big and kind heart!!!

and yes - Ukrainian people very love their country(i think that how each of you loves yours)

that's why they return as soon as possible

VikkiDp
VikkiDp New Reader
5/14/22 8:48 a.m.
tuna55 said:

Vikki I am overjoyed to see you here. My children were asking "Did she have to leave her home? Was she scared? Is her family OK? Is her neighborhood OK? Did she see Russian soldiers?" If you have the time, and want to share, we would love to know more about your trials.

Brian, thanks

i'm home and my family too, of course sometimes it's scary, sometimes it's scary to go to bed,

but we are in our home and it's too heavy to leave it

We're safe as far as possible in this situation

Thanks God and ukrainian soldiers there aren't any russian soldiers in our city and i hope never see them

My relatives were in occupation about week(they live close Nicolaev) and i wasn't any connection with them - now they feel good

5/16/22 2:31 p.m.

Happy Monday everyone!  Here is our weekly update:

At the moment, everything that can be funded is currently funded.  With that, I've been moving money to our upcoming Lviv trip, and have been purchasing front-line medical supplies.  As of this writing, GRM has spent 180,000huf ($480usd) on CAT Tourniquets (Gen 7), and has funded the purchase of Hyfin chest vents, and igel airway tubes.  We still have approximately 118,000huf in reserve to be put towards a GRM medical box for the Hospitallers, and of course are working on our GRM relay to get the oxygen machine over this way.

Unfortunately, with that I have to deliver some bad news:  WEEKS (plural, as in "multiple") after our announcement of our Gulyas party, the benefits of which would support donations to Ukraine, there were two other events announced for the same exact day.  One is our local english school's prom (which I'm not mad about), and another is a co-worker that decided to host a barbecue at his house at the same exact time (which had me heated enough that I had to take that day off).  The co-worker's event isn't politically motivated or anything, it's purely apathetic (which is why I was mad).  As of this writing, we've had only 3 families RSVP to the event....  (I know.  It wasn't the result I was expecting either)

How it will actually turn out is anyone's guess, but we still have our fingers crossed that it will be a success.  As of this writing we do have about 4-boxes of medical supplies that have been donated, and one box of food.  But we were REALLY hoping for this run to be bigger than our last one.  So Tuna, if you were waiting for a "needs funds or wont fire" this might be it.  I'll let you all know how it went next Monday.  From there, we have plenty of time to address any issues that need addressing.

In the meantime, I have the truck loaded up and ready to run to Budapest on Thursday of this week.  Just like last week, I got it loaded to the axles with clothes, food, toys, baby supplies, and formula.  I gotta get Pastor Kovacs stocked back up!  Once he's stocked, I'll try to organize another run to the student shelter.  I'm sure they're feeling the pinch now too.

I did take some time to nurse some of the truck's wounds in the garage today.  I went after the front end alignment and the oil leak.  After failing at both (stripped threads, stuck bolts, etc, etc etc), and killing the battery in the process I decided to put down the wrench and back away slowly.  Nothing major, just one of those days where everything you touch gets broken (also known as "Monday").  I'm still driving the Mazda, so I'll go back in tomorrow with a fresh head and will have more success.

Good times.

GaryC83
GaryC83 Reader
5/18/22 1:34 a.m.

Bill, as always you are the absolute best! 

I'll fire off another email to your personal email address, as I need your shipping address as 2 of these will be headed your way, once i get them polished and the clock kits installed, along with some other things for yourself and the Mayor as you're both car guys. Least I can do, to thank you both. 

Things have been crazy around here so I haven't had as much time as id have liked to get further....  But I'll have final details and pictures in a few days.  Already have a few pre-sold, so as soon as they get the deposits to me, those funds will be headed your way. 

Huge thanks to you and the Mayor, once again for ALL you guys are doing. Absolutely mean that. 

DarkMonohue
5/18/22 10:45 p.m.

How did the alignment and oil leak work come out?  The problems you have had with this old 4Runner are sort of astonishing, especially given how incredibly forgiving my old Corollas were.  Even my MR2 seldom gives me any grief.  I expect it from the J20, but Toyotas of the golden age...they're  just not supposed to be that way.

...if you were waiting for a "needs funds or wont fire" this might be it. 

That's as good a reminder as any.  Funds inbound.

1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 82

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
N0U7TQmf35FF6mrh3SGKbP2KE1eSbU6PbzLCB9zlacw9cYUw1GBR2gLCFu7tOGl5