WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/6/22 9:10 p.m.

Thanks Bill!  I've kicked a few HUF your way.  Remember:

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/6/22 9:12 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Saw the fee, did not recognize that it was a conversion fee and when I changed my donation from HUF to USD I still got charged the fee.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/6/22 9:32 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

should we take the default PayPal conversion to hungarybux, or choose to donate in USD?

Same question.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/6/22 10:32 p.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) :

Bill,

I wanted to do something, but I didn't know where to go or who to trust.

Even though I think the Dodge Charger is a bad idea, I trust you as if you were my own brother... maybe more, as I do have an actual brother who has admittedly,  made some sketchy choices of his own. I have confidence in this plan, and I am comfortable knowing that you are so moved by it.

You have (PayPal related) mail.

Well done, my friend. Keep up the strong work.

Woody

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/6/22 10:47 p.m.

#Huffing2Grow

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
3/6/22 11:38 p.m.

Hufs sent your way. I did the conversion and it came up as hufs on the receipt.

DarkMonohue
3/6/22 11:48 p.m.

I mentioned this endeavor to a Jeep buddy from another forum, and he wants to contribute.  He mentioned having Venmo, but not PayPal.  I told him I'd get clearance from the organizer and make sure he didn't mind.  So, Bill, do you mind?

The conversion to HUF is a factor because PayPal is apparently giving ~330 HUF to the dollar whereas Google says it's more like 351 HUF to the dollar.

Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/7/22 5:42 a.m.

Boo on the fees, I hate fees.

So if Paypal is only giving 330huf to a buck, I would say send the money in HUF to get the most bang for our bucks as your bank should give you a better exchange rate.

Unfortunately Venmo isn't letting me sign up.  It's requiring a US based phone number to send an SMS to, and I don't have one.  If it helps, I have a Zelle account attached to my USAA checking account, but I've never used it.

Stuart:  The e-mail address listed in the post under yours is correct for the paypal.  You can send a test e-mail to it to verify.

3/7/22 5:51 a.m.

Holy smokes you guys, I just checked the paypal account surprise

You guys have raised 1.5-million forint in just over 24-hours, that is incredible!!!!!

I am shaking like crazy right now.

Ok, so Katie got back from her visit in Kisgorbo last night, and here's what she said when I asked her how it went:

Really well! Gábor Kozma is legit! He and the village are all in to help these folks. I think they are a group that we can trust to use donations wisely. He said it’s possible that they will have some people come as early as Saturday. (They) aren’t sure on the demographics yet though.

I will reach out to Mr. Komza immediately following this post, inform him of what you awesome people are doing, and work on making the arrangements to get the cash to him on Friday.  I would also like to schedule a visit with him so I can take some pictures to show the status of the shelter you all are helping to build.

Thank you all very much for this.  I will keep you all posted as things progress.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
3/7/22 6:09 a.m.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/7/22 7:15 a.m.
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) said:

So if Paypal is only giving 330huf to a buck, I would say send the money in HUF to get the most bang for our bucks as your bank should give you a better exchange rate.

Unfortunately Venmo isn't letting me sign up.  It's requiring a US based phone number to send an SMS to, and I don't have one.  If it helps, I have a Zelle account attached to my USAA checking account, but I've never used it.

Stuart:  The e-mail address listed in the post under yours is correct for the paypal.  You can send a test e-mail to it to verify.

Google Voice gives you a phone number in whatever area code you want.  Not sure if it allows you to select country code 

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
3/7/22 7:33 a.m.

My overseas american buddies buy american number sim cards online and then swap then out.  

Psyched to see GRM represent for a good cause.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/7/22 9:38 a.m.

PayPal charged me a 1.85 to convert to HUF, maybe it's bank dependant?

My tiny pile of HUF is sent your way regardless

3/7/22 9:51 a.m.
OHSCrifle said:

Donation sent Bill - please confirm you see the PP deposit. Thanks for the energy you're giving this. 

Confirmed sir, and thank you!

3/7/22 9:57 a.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

The large German conglomerate that I work for is matching everything that employees donate, so I'm doing it that way, but good on you, Bill, and all the folks supporting his efforts.

The large German conglomerate that you work for is awesome for doing that surprise

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
3/7/22 9:57 a.m.

A small amount is on it's way to you. Do some good with it.

3/7/22 10:02 a.m.
WonkoTheSane said:

Thanks Bill!  I've kicked a few HUF your way.  Remember:

I am laughing way too hard at this

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/7/22 10:17 a.m.

Hey Bill, are you able to help facilitate some more aid efforts or be able to link us to some legitimate efforts going into Ukraine and not just some jerks taking money? 

3/7/22 10:30 a.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

Bill,

I wanted to do something, but I didn't know where to go or who to trust.

Even though I think the Dodge Charger is a bad idea, I trust you as if you were my own brother... maybe more, as I do have an actual brother who has admittedly,  made some sketchy choices of his own. I have confidence in this plan, and I am comfortable knowing that you are so moved by it.

You have (PayPal related) mail.

Well done, my friend. Keep up the strong work.

Woody

The Charger is an insanely bad idea, and that's why I did it laugh

Got it, sir!  Thank you and will do!

3/7/22 10:34 a.m.
TJL (Forum Supporter) said:

Hey Bill, are you able to help facilitate some more aid efforts or be able to link us to some legitimate efforts going into Ukraine and not just some jerks taking money? 

The Hungarian Order of Malta https://www.orderofmalta.int/order-malta-forefront-delivering-ukrainian-refugees/

and the Hungarian Red Cross https://voroskereszt.hu/en/about-us/vision-of-the-hungarian-red-cross/

Are the two organizations that our program out here is supporting.  Both have boots on the ground at the border, but the Hungarian Order of Malta also provides assistance locally.

Edit, as I missed the first part of your question:  Mrs. Hungary and I, along with a Swedish friend of ours, found a building in Papa that is housing refugees locally.  There are currently 30 refugees housed in the building (down from 48 last week, as some have moved on to other nearby locations) with another 60 that were supposed to be due in two days ago.  We've been making donations over the last week and thought we had a good handle on things but these new 60 might scramble that a bit.

As it sits though, we've got enough local help to take this next punch but as this is going to be a sustained effort we may very well be needing assistance sometime in the future.  If I were asked, I would say our immediate efforts are best served at the building we're currently targeting.  They're not ready, and they're expecting people any day now.  To anything else after that, I personally apply equal weight.  There are just too many people out there doing good work.  Locally, at the border, and everywhere in between.

DarkMonohue
3/7/22 10:45 a.m.
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) said:

Many thanks.  You should see a modest contribution from me in a moment or two.

For what it's worth, senders can get a better exchange rate than PayPal offers, even though we are sending via PayPal, by linking a Visa or Mastercard and using that as the payment source.
Source: https://wallethub.com/edu/cc/paypal-foreign-transaction-fee/96944

How to Avoid PayPal’s Currency Conversion Rates

1. Add your credit card information as a payment option on PayPal.
  2. Begin the PayPal checkout process, or initiate sending money to someone via PayPal.
  3. Select “Other Conversion Options” on the “Review Your Payment” page.
  4. Choose “Bill me in the currency listed on the seller’s invoice.” If asked which currency you’d like to pay with, choose the foreign currency. If asked who should convert the transaction, choose your credit card.
  5. Complete your transaction.

In most – if not all – cases, your no-foreign-fee credit card’s conversion rate will absolutely be cheaper than PayPal’s. You just won’t be able to see the total amount until your transaction posts on your credit card statement. Keep in mind that just because you can see PayPal’s converted total in U.S. dollars before you complete your transaction does not mean it will be a better deal than the credit card’s converted total.

Please keep us posted, Bill.  And thank you again for putting this together.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/7/22 11:01 a.m.

Thank you Bill! I had shared this thread with a friend of mine who has some relief concerns you may be able to assist with. I  think he is messaging you at the grow will at g email addy. 

also im glad you and your family are "safe" and able to help out and let us help out via your efforts!

johndej
johndej Dork
3/7/22 12:10 p.m.

Boom, Hofs away, thanks Bill for putting this together!

3/7/22 12:56 p.m.

Thank you guys!  And thanks for the card info DarkMonohue!

TJL (Forum Supporter) said:

Thank you Bill! I had shared this thread with a friend of mine who has some relief concerns you may be able to assist with. I  think he is messaging you at the grow will at g email addy.

He messaged.  I like this guy and where that conversation is headed devil

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
3/7/22 2:15 p.m.

PM'd you.

Will you be cool if I tack on an additional ~$15 USD so you can go buy you and a friend a beer to thank you? Never mind. Doesn't matter. I'll send the extra money and you can feel free to use your discretion.

1 2 3 4 ... 82

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TJUvP0YUGoocTlLaoj48h3xTJEYIMDJbraM5yC7vgmtFZlzqyseSA7h1tHWyMSMT