1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 83
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/28/22 11:17 a.m.

ok, I'm better now.  Sorry.

Time to stop griping and get thinking.  I need a switched 12v source for the window switch, and I need to wire in the relays so that one is always providing a ground.  From there I can use the window switch to actuate each relay individually so that they'll always be in opposite polarity of each other.  Time to probe and label:

If I'm going to install the new relays, I have to make a bracket.  I have loads of scrap aluminum laying around so I decide to go forward with that:

Done.  And that's a big thing to have checked off the list.  I mean I put this off until AFTER I split the transfer case, and if I'm crawling under the truck to play in gear-oil to avoid something I must really not want to do it.  Unfortunately I'm still waiting on 4-more relays to arrive (due in Oct 11th) to do the driver's and passenger's side windows.   I'm scared.  I think the worst thing is, I know I absolutely cannot leave those wire harnesses in that condition.  I'm going to have to go back in and remove anything no longer connected (completely) OR restore things to their original spec (the best I can).  Having that harness hacked the way I have it makes me feel like I'm previous owner-ing things and that's not ok.

Good times.

9/28/22 11:24 a.m.

After dealing with the back window and putting most of the interior back together (the driver's seat is still out), I really needed something mellow to calm my brain (and drinking before work wasn't an option).

"Add 12-volt power outlets"

There will be three of us on the trip to Africa and we'll all take turns driving.  With the extra people onboard, comes extra things that need to be plugged in.  For that, I had to add a couple 12v outlets.

I guess I never took an "after" shot of that last one.  It rests in the bin there on the outboard side.  Now each seating position has one 12-volt outlet.  The chopped one you saw in the tray of the first photo was tossed in a box as a "spare".  If I need to add one down the road, I can.  All can be removed with zero evidence they were ever there, and all are tied to a single 15-amp fuse that lives right next to the battery.

Easy money.

9/29/22 4:25 p.m.

A house was hit by a missile in Dnipro last night.

All three occupants died in the explosion, including one child.

Right now, VikkaDp is sheltering from explosions she can hear in the area.  Please keep her in your thoughts

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/29/22 5:11 p.m.
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) said:

A house was hit by a missile in Dnipro last night.

All three occupants died in the explosion, including one child.

Right now, VikkaDp is sheltering from explosions she can hear in the area.  Please keep her in your thoughts

Every day. 

Those E36 M3 eating soviet savages...

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
9/29/22 5:30 p.m.

Stay strong and stay safe Vikki!

VikkiDp
VikkiDp New Reader
9/30/22 5:08 a.m.

Thanks guys сердце for your pray and support!!!

i'm ok - just when you hear explosions at such moments it becomes scary

Ordinary people fall under fire and it very hurts

There was the house here and now is this huge hole - two women and two kids are died, they were just sleeping... in their home... only dog is survived

Usually i'm strong and always believe in the best, but such incidents make me feel bad crying

VikkiDp
VikkiDp New Reader
9/30/22 5:24 a.m.

I always read thread's updates but not always answered smiley

I have a lot of work in the last three months - In addition to the main occupations at work, help to refugees has now been added(more than 100 people)

and now i have many-many work with office documents

VikkiDp
VikkiDp New Reader
9/30/22 5:29 a.m.

Bill, i'm following your fight with the truck - wish you win!!! 

9/30/22 1:56 p.m.

In reply to VikkiDp :

Thank you Vikki, I will.  Nothing on the truck has ever been broken forever.  She'll be 100% when you see her again in December.

Waiting until December to drive back to Dnipro may kill me though.  Stay safe, and stay strong. 

In reply to GRM:

We made our monthly transfer to the Kisgorbo shelter today.  Our balance was at 438,000 Hungarian Forint, so I added the last 12,000 to make it an even 450,000.

Cheers everyone, and thank you!

VikkiDp
VikkiDp New Reader
10/1/22 2:49 p.m.

Sooo... the second part of  the story from  me (part 1)

Sending the deliveries

Checkpoint 1 - UA post (Ukrposhta)
We need to send two packages from here - it's seems easy - yes, but... these things are somewhere behind the other boxes - many other boxes.
I went to the post office to make clear some points and when i come back Bill is starting to unload them.

Ohhh, to be honest i was a little (nooo... i was very)  shocked - How can we two manage so much stuff? Yes guys - the one thing is seeing this on the pictures and  another to see it in reality.
I forgot all English words and can't say to Bill anything. These thoughts occupy me a few moment and then i said myself - stop thinking - start doing!!!
and yes  THIS IS JUST ONE TRUCK!!! Yeah – we’ll do it!!!

First two boxes were sent! Perfect!  And there's a little place in the truck for Vikki!

Going to the next Checkpoint!

Checkpoint 2 - Nova Post (Nova Poshta)
Two minutes on the road and we're there - i'm good at planning routs  smiley
The ritual repeats – Bill unloads the packages again (sorry Bill), I go to the post office with a bunch of packages in my hands.
 I say in my thoughts many-many thanks Bill, Sarah and hungarlings for that all supplies are packed for each family. I can’t imagine how much time it took us if it hadn’t been done before.Because we need to send out 19 more packages.
Oh, you should have seen the postal worker’s face when I returned with packages again and again – he looked very surprised – it was funny!
Never before, yes – NEVER I have sent so many sendings at once. I was very afraid of mix up the addresses – thanks God and my many years of experience with documents - everything’s OK. We did it!!!

Using the post offices was really the best solution to get everything done quickly.

Five minutes coffee break and tea time…some time to chat and… ohhh, some cold water – what we both need.

But the next Checkpoint is waiting for us – calling to dr.Max and let’s go…

VikkiDp
VikkiDp New Reader
10/1/22 3:01 p.m.

Bill, is that your influence on me? wink i started to write long stories too angel

Honestly it's impossible to write about all these things in two words - going to write the continuation laugh

10/2/22 12:24 a.m.
VikkiDp said:

Bill, is that your influence on me? wink i started to write long stories too angel

Honestly it's impossible to write about all these things in two words - going to write the continuation laugh

It really is, isn't it?  It seems such a short amount of time but when you go to tell someone else about it you realize how much happened in just a couple hours!

Love your update, and look forward to the rest of the story laugh

10/2/22 12:25 a.m.

I don't usually share photos I find on social media, but I thought this one was an exception.

(artist unknown)

Olga Rudenko reports that the dog was taken an treated at a local clinic.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/2/22 7:13 a.m.

putin must be the most hated person on earth. 

This should show a lot of people why politics are total trash. 

Bill, im glad the relay setup worked out. That truck rocks. 

DarkMonohue
10/2/22 9:24 p.m.

In reply to TJL (Forum Supporter) :

No kidding.

Here's hoping he meets a timely untimely end as soon as possible.

Vikki, I just sent you a private message. If you have a couple of minutes, I'd like to get some Ukrainian eyes on a project I am working on just to be sure it looks right and makes sense.

VikkiDp
VikkiDp New Reader
10/3/22 3:50 a.m.

In reply to DarkMonohue :

of course, i'll be glad help you smiley

you can text me 

10/3/22 4:59 a.m.
TJL (Forum Supporter) said:

putin must be the most hated person on earth. 

This should show a lot of people why politics are total trash. 

Bill, im glad the relay setup worked out. That truck rocks. 

Agreed on all counts.   And thank you, I've got 4-more relays on order to take care of the door windows.  Hopefully they arrive soon.   (but honestly, I would really rather manual window regulators in these positions cheeky )

Also, new month new balance sheet!

Cheers everyone!

VikkiDp
VikkiDp New Reader
10/3/22 5:03 a.m.

Guys, have a question smiley

Maybe any of you have a backpack and it wouldn't cost much money to send it to me

This is needed for my neighbour - he's been serving in UA army since March - first he repaired cars from front line and for the last three month he's been working as a fuel trucks driver and delivers fuel for military equipment

I already fixed his backpack twice and honestly this is already the limit indecision

DarkMonohue
10/3/22 10:54 a.m.
VikkiDp said:

Guys, have a question smiley

Maybe any of you have a backpack and it wouldn't cost much money to send it to me

This is needed for my neighbour - he's been serving in UA army since March - first he repaired cars from front line and for the last three month he's been working as a fuel trucks driver and delivers fuel for military equipment

I already fixed his backpack twice and honestly this is already the limit indecision

Thanks for the help!  You can take your email address down if you like.  You probably don't want any more junk mail than you already get.

We can find a way to help with the backpack.  I have a couple of ideas.  First off, what does your friend actually need?  How big does it have to be?  Does he just need a backpack, or does he also need a duffle or anything else?  Any other supplies that are hard to get for him right now?

First, I have a really nice (looks like it was never used) Swiss army rubberized rucksuck that I could send over.  These are about 30 liter capacity and are tough as nails, with an internal metal frame, but they are HEAVY.  They are also a very old design, so all they have is the main pouch and a smaller one on the back.  There is no laptop sleeve, no internal compartments, no MOLLE webbing, no modern military (or civilian) features at all.  Ideal for someone hiking all day with a heavy load, but might not be right for someone in and out of a truck.  I don't have pics of mine but it looks about like this:
Picture 1 of 10

And there are lots of other options available at Coleman's, which is where I usually browse for military surplus gear I probably don't need.  We could easily source something for him and send it over.

Another way to go would be to find something closer to him and ship it directly as opposed to coming from the US.  Bill, how available is milsurp to the general public over there?  I know there's Varusteleka in Finland, but they can't drop-ship.  If you can find something locally, and have the time to get involved, we can fund it and get it there one way or another.

VikkiDp
VikkiDp New Reader
10/3/22 3:39 p.m.

Now he has the backpack something like that - it's just sports backpack 

also i think he needs thermal underwear(thermals), maybe warm socks?

He's a very humble person who is used to making do with what he has

I understand such stuff nothing frown

DarkMonohue
10/3/22 9:34 p.m.
VikkiDp said:

Now he has the backpack something like that - it's just sports backpack.

No problem. I will have some questions for you about what else he needs, but we can talk about it offline, as I don't clutter up Bill's thread any more than necessary. I'll send an email in a few hours, after we put the kid to bed for the night.

DarkMonohue
10/4/22 2:31 a.m.

Alright, email is on the way!  Let's see if we can get your neighbor taken care of.

VikkiDp
VikkiDp New Reader
10/4/22 3:29 a.m.

i got your email yes  stay by touch

10/4/22 6:15 a.m.
VikkiDp said:

Now he has the backpack something like that - it's just sports backpack 

We can do this!

It's a long way off until December and sitting idle was going to kill me.  I think we can help this guy, and Dark Monohue:  Milsurp is NOOOOOOO problem out here.  I submit the following as a backpack idea:

https://en.top-armyshop.eu/military-bag-us-assault-pack-small-mil-tec?gclid=CjwKCAjws--ZBhAXEiwAv-RNL4rQ77UiIRPfw9ygrDwRacLMPDC9bX6CJ5c1p1L4eValv69BaGZVtRoCmbAQAvD_BwE

I figure if he's driving for the Army, why send him with something that isn't made for Army use?  This one looks to be water resistant, MOLLE compatible, available in multicam, and holds about 22-liters.   (also comes in a 36-liter variant for a similar price)

All thoughts would be appreciated.

Vikki, send us the size of clothing he needs for thermals and socks and we can start work on that too.

In the meantime, I've been wanting to stuff an IFAK (Individual First Aid Kit) and this seems like an opportunity to do just such a thing.

We would need to purchase this pouch:

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B07DWQ93F3/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?smid=A35NVR3IVO3L4O&psc=1

And these guts:

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B09SG7QC8C/ref=ox_sc_act_image_4?smid=A2O9VZ1VZ3WZ20&th=1

And we only have 9-days to do so before my butt departs for Africa.  I figure we'll start at the top of the list and work our way down as we can:

1) Backpack

2) Thermals/socks

3) IFAK

4) Tourniquets and holders (maximum 2ea of both)

If Vikki's friend can't use the IFAK and tourniquets then I'm absolutely certain he will know someone who can.  Since the tourniquets are so expensive ($130 plus shipping for the pair) we'll save those for last.  Once everything is received, I'll repack and take care of any shipping from here in Hungary.

So what do you all think? devil

VikkiDp
VikkiDp New Reader
10/4/22 8:46 a.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) :

I'll ask his wife about the clothing size this evening - i'm not sure if i can contact him soon - usually he comes home at weekends(not every weekends)

Bill, is the truck ready to Africa?

Stay touch smiley

1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 83

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
N03PVtXclmuGd7QIzL8oR4jVXEP8rlZeDjWN3Ui2cUT7qYPlrbLJDpMaFN4TFHOs