1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 83
84FSP
84FSP UberDork
10/23/22 1:20 p.m.

Just a note that the GRM community was all talking about the great things Bill and Vikki are up to in Ukraine.  At least two Wolverines shirts being donned.  Much discussion on how to drum up more press.  

Stay safe on the Rally and may the Yota be with you!

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) Dork
10/23/22 8:40 p.m.

Maybe a cardboard insert for the sunroof, rather than duct tape?  Easier to put in and out as needed for light blockage.

Progress looks good! 

VikkiDp
VikkiDp New Reader
10/26/22 9:17 a.m.

Sending the deliveries (part 2)

Checkpoint 3 – Children’s regional hospital

Our route passes through one of the most beautiful street of Dnipro and I tell Bill and show him the places we pass by.

I love my city, I love my country – there are such beautiful and interesting places here – I love tell about these.

In the same way I love visiting other countries and new places and meeting new people.

We’ll talk about that a little later…

We got to the hospital very quickly – someone likes high-speed driving wink

While we're waiting for dr.Max we have some time to chat again - I tell Bill a little bit about the hospital - yes, it's huge - children from all over the region and the occupied territories receive help here. Also we're already starting to talk about December trip.

Dr.Max greets us and we are once again doing everything very fast yes

Tears came to my eyes when I saw how kind people work in the hospital and how grateful they are for the help heart

And you’re right – children's hospital and sandbags –it seems like we are living in some parallel unreal reality or in some scary dream. It's impossible to get used to it.

Hugging them and say goodbyes 

Our mission have done!!! We did it as fast as we can!!!

We’re coming back the same route – driving along the embankment – by the way this is the longest embankment of all Europe and it’s the favorite place for residents and visitors to the city.

We're already relaxed a little bit and can look at the surrounding views

I suggest Bill stops and takes a couple of photos – three minutes for a short walk

A beautiful view of the river from here and one of the city's symbols - the unfinished Hotel Parus (Sail) with a huge trident on it. The hotel is an unfinished legacy of Soviet Union and the trident was painted by volunteers in 2014 after the annexation of Crimea.

But it's time to move on… say goodbye the river, the strong bridge - waving once more time and it’s time to say goodbye each other… and getting back home…

Bill has the long way home and my family is already waiting for me – many thoughts and many warm feelings about what we just have done – it’s definitely good things heart

WE ALL have done these all good things now and it’s incredibly amazing feelings!!! 

Note (for Bill only)

About windows and others … it's good that we can laugh and joke about it now

I understand that before and during the trip you were not laughing

Maaan! Are you serious?

You’ve driven a couple thousand kilometers through the unfamiliar country at war without knowing a single word of Ukrainian or Russian (“spasibo” don’t count) ALONE – I’m still wonder how you did it smiley

And are you worried that a few raindrops might bother me? Oh, come on!

Answering all your questions – all what you were worried about – absolutely NO problem – ABSOLUTELY!!!

I was glad to go with you on the truck and if it was necessary to go further and longer – it’s ok, no problem

Reliable wheels, good company, some coffee, tea and water and i can go anywhere smiley

You better tell me what you were thinking when I dragged you to take the photo and the truck was left standing on the curb with opened windows laugh

This is not the end of the story - I'm off to write final chapter smiley

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/26/22 10:28 a.m.

Thanks for posting, Vikki! I take it to mean as well that you are still safe.

Bill, I sent some more money your way this morning.

Keep it up!

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
10/26/22 1:06 p.m.

Well written Vikki, and thank you for sharing your side of the story! I love the symbolism of what was done with the Hotel Parus, and I'm looking forward to the final chapter.

It also makes me glad just to see you post, as every day when I check the news it makes me think of (concerned for) your continued safety and well-being. 

VikkiDp
VikkiDp New Reader
10/27/22 4:23 a.m.

Thanks, guys for your support смайлик

We're trying to live  our ordinary lives as much as possible in such situation.

I don't want to come here and complain all the time - it's not in my rules.

I write here or to text Bill if i get really scared or something awful happens and  i always feel your support.

I forgot to say - i got a message from Bill yesterday - all stuff for my neighbor have arrived and Sarah will send me the box да

Good news  смайлик

VikkiDp
VikkiDp New Reader
10/31/22 10:44 a.m.

A little news from me - not good news sad

What's been going on for the last few weeks is a new level of terrorism and genocide from russia angry

Infrastructure that provides life support is being destroyed by missiles strikes - many people are left without electricity and water and house windows are broken by explosions - these are civilians people!  angry

But we stay strong!

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/31/22 11:17 a.m.

Vikki, thank you for posting these updates.  Nobody likes to hear bad news, but we want to know what's happening, and that you and your family are safe.  We can read the news and scour the internet but that's not the same as hearing it from someone who is actually there.

Stay safe, stay strong!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/31/22 11:25 a.m.
VikkiDp said:

A little news from me - not good news sad

What's been going on for the last few weeks is a new level of terrorism and genocide from russia angry

Infrastructure that provides life support is being destroyed by missiles strikes - many people are left without electricity and water and house windows are broken by explosions - these are civilians people!  angry

But we stay strong!

Vikki,

I know we are asking a lot, but your updates are important. We see Russia attacking civilian targets and see desperation. They must run out of ammunition eventually. Do you still have heat and electricity?

VikkiDp
VikkiDp New Reader
11/1/22 11:02 a.m.

Guys, we're ok! and i believe that everything will be alright! we stay strong no matter what да 

I'm talking about the situation in general - i have many friends, acquaintances and relatives from many other cities and regions of Ukraine - i'm in touch with them. Also i'm in touch with refugees that we help. And yes - what I see with my own eyes.

If the siren sounds, it means someone might be hurt somewhere - everyone understands that.

The hardest thing for me is not even the fear, it's that i have no possibility to plan my life - of course in the evening i can have some plans for tomorrow's morning but not always they can be realized when i wake up indecision so we need to be flexible.

They must run out of ammunition eventually.

it's not a good idea - we may run out of cities and villages sad

Do you still have heat and electricity?

yesterday's morning and evening - no, today -  still yes, tomorrow - we'll see

But it's ok - we had a quite romantic breakfast yesterday - almost "by candles" smiley Life is going on!!!

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
11/2/22 2:49 p.m.

In reply to VikkiDp :

Your attitude through all of this is inspiring!

Is there anything you don't have already, and might not be able to get locally very easily, that would be helpful if you had a longer (like 1 week) power outage this winter?

VikkiDp
VikkiDp New Reader
11/10/22 3:58 a.m.

Hello everyone смайлик have good news - the package for my neighbor has received да

Thanks you all, Bill and Sarah сердце

i'll take more photos some later смайлик

VikkiDp
VikkiDp New Reader
11/11/22 7:06 a.m.

Photo report smiley all the stuff are handed over yes

The recipient is incredibly happy and glad for help.  He thanks you all heart

Let me tell about him a bit - all his life (he's 56 yo) he works as a driver yes

When he was young he served in the Soviet army (it was a must for young men 18-20 yo)

and now he's serving in the UA army instead of spending time with his grandchildren.

He wants that they live in peaceful country.

Stay strong! Stay together!

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
11/11/22 7:27 a.m.

My words are stuck in my throat.  

I work, vote and teach for the future of my children and grand children.  It is a struggle, this man and many like him are truly fighting for their future.   

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
11/11/22 10:40 a.m.

I know times are tough right now but the troops are making amazing progress!  Seeing the videos of the troops being welcomed into the liberated towns and villages are just incredible to watch.  

Stay strong!  

Slava Ukraine!

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
11/11/22 7:15 p.m.

I live my life by a few simple rules:

1. My obligation to humanity does not end at the border.

2. If I have the means at hand then I have the responsibility to act.

3. Do not wear socks with sandals.

It's pretty clear to me that the Ukrainian people have the sheer willpower to fight against any odds and will buy their children's futures with sweat and blood. I want to make sure that they have everything they need to get that job done. If you need anything or know anybody who needs anything DO NOT HESITATE TO ASK. I am not a wealthy man, but if it is my power I will be sure you get what you need.

VikkiDp
VikkiDp New Reader
11/12/22 6:10 a.m.

Also there were something for me in the package wink

Bill sent me the radio if we stay without mobile and data services yes and AClockworkGarage helped with the water filter yes

Thanks guys smiley

VikkiDp
VikkiDp New Reader
11/12/22 6:22 a.m.
AClockworkGarage said:

I live my life by a few simple rules:

1. My obligation to humanity does not end at the border.

2. If I have the means at hand then I have the responsibility to act.

3. Do not wear socks with sandals.

I like it yes especially the last point, I think that's the main thing laugh

VikkiDp
VikkiDp New Reader
11/12/22 6:42 a.m.
Driven5 said:

In reply to VikkiDp :

Your attitude through all of this is inspiring!

Is there anything you don't have already, and might not be able to get locally very easily, that would be helpful if you had a longer (like 1 week) power outage this winter?

ohhh, i'm not an expert on survival in extreme situations, but we have to be ready for them indecision

Bill already gave me some advice. If there is anyone who can say something useful about this topic i would appreciate it.

Now we need to buy a couple thermoses, flashlights and a bigger container for water

Aaaa, i'm a girl and i would buy some dresses not all these things angry (I joke wink)

But honestly, I would prefer spend some money on something more pleasant of course. 

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/12/22 6:20 p.m.
VikkiDp said:

ohhh, i'm not an expert on survival in extreme situations, but we have to be ready for them indecision

Bill already gave me some advice. If there is anyone who can say something useful about this topic i would appreciate it.

Now we need to buy a couple thermoses, flashlights and a bigger container for water

Aaaa, i'm a girl and i would buy some dresses not all these things angry (I joke wink)

But honestly, I would prefer spend some money on something more pleasant of course. 

We'd all rather spend our money on something more pleasant, but I'm really glad we have an opportunity to put it where we know it is really helping people who genuinely need it.

I am a long way from expert in emergency preparedness, but we try to be reasonably well prepared for power outages, wildfires, and earthquakes.  Those are the big dangers around here.  Here is a very rough outline of what we try to keep on hand at the house for two adults and one small child:

• A small pantry full of extra canned food, boxed foods (rice and pasta dishes), powdered milk, etc.
  • ~20kg each of rice and pinto beans
  • ~25 liters of drinkable water
  • Extra pet food
  • Sleeping bags and extra blankets
  • Coleman camping stove and lots of fuel
  • LED lantern, two oil lamps, plenty of lamp oil, and lots of candles
  • ~40 liters of gasoline
  • 30-day supply of toilet paper, paper towels, etc.
  • Extra AA, AAA, and 9V batteries

Each of us also has a small bag, loaded with some basic supplies, that we keep in the car:

• Pocketknife
  • Space blanket
  • Emergency rain poncho
  • Fire starting kit
  • Whistle
  • Essential first aid kit, essential medicines
  • Head lamp and batteries
  • ~5 meters of paracord, ~5 meters of duct tape, ~10 zip ties
  • Plastic grocery bags and zipper sandwich bags
  • Map and compass
  • Write-in-the-rain notebook and pencil
  • 0.5l bottle of water
  • Water purification tablets
  • 500kcal of snack foods
  • Partial roll of toilet paper
  • Handkerchief

In addition to that, we each have backpacks loaded up with some essentials in case we have to leave in a hurry.  We also carry at least one of these in the car when we drive out of town.  This sounds like a lot, but there's still plenty of room in the backpacks for clothes, blankets, etc.

• Swiss Army knife (Camping or Huntsman) and small pliers
  • Additional fire starting materials
  • Larger first aid kit
  • Additional medical supplies (allergy products, eye drops, etc.)
  • Sewing kit
  • Hygiene kit (soap, toothbrush and toothpaste, deodorant, feminine hygiene, hand sanitizer)
  • Another partial roll of toilet paper
  • Kid stuff like diapers, baby wipes, etc.
  • Hat, gloves, extra socks (as appropriate to the season)
  • Additional paracord, duct tape, zip ties, plastic bags, etc.
  • One complete US military MRE + additional snacks + kid snacks
  • Instant coffee packets, tea bags, and flavored drink packets like lemonade
  • Five-Hour Energy
  • Backpacking stove and fuel
  • One liter of bottled water and a stainless steel cup
  • Basic surgical mask and N95 dust mask
  • Old/extra prescription eyeglasses
  • Light sticks (glow sticks)
  • Small flashlight and batteries
  • Cellphone charger and USB cable
  • Cellphone battery booster
  • Playing cards

I'm forgetting some things, and there are things I need to add, like a good survival radio, but it's a pretty good start.  I try to add something every other month or so rather than buying everything all at once.  We did not build these overnight.

There are also some recommendations here that might help:
https://www.fema.gov/press-release/20210318/how-build-kit-emergencies

Also, what AClockworkGarage said applies to me as well.  We're not wealthy, either, but we want to help, so please let us know if you or your family or neighbors need something.  And thank you for taking the time to post these updates.  It really means a lot to us.

VikkiDp
VikkiDp New Reader
11/18/22 7:21 a.m.

The Wave

The next morning after the meeting day

9.37 my phone is ringing… wooowww! – first package has already received!!!

During the next few days I received calls from parents of chldren, someone sent photos and texed me.

It was the huge flow of thanks and kind words. These all filled my heart with warmth and the knowledge that we were going in the right direction. In my mind, I was thinking of all of you and those people who made this possible. So you all got all these thanks through me too!!!

On Monday, I got a call from Dr.Max. He asked me again if any report was needed, I answered – no, these all for the hospital, for children who needs help without any papers and reports. He was very surprised and was very thankful.

Some later he sent me the photos of the kids – you all have seen them.

You’ve seen happiness and joy in kid’s eyes, their smiles.

I want to say all of you – it worth it!!! All that we do – it worth it!!! Bring some joy for someone – it worth it!!!

Kindness and good things start with each of us - from hand to hand, from touch to touch, from heart to heart - this is the wave! This wave starts from me, from you, from every one of us… and I think this wave is the way to stop bad things.

So keep it up! Never give up! Stay strong and stay together!

Just read it…

Is this the end? No, it's the beginning... the wave is infinite!!!

Thanks everyone heart

Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/22/22 10:20 a.m.

Hey everyone, I'm back!!

Of course, I have lot's to share but right now I'm still lickin' wounds.  The truck survived the ordeal but only barely.  I've already got parts on order, and should have no issues having her ready and on the road for the next run.

Unfortunately, due to technical issues, we could not get the transfer made to Kisgorbo at the end of last month.  But we were able to alert Mayor Kozma ahead of time, and he is 100% ok with receiving both October's and November's donations at the end of this month.  

I havent had a chance to check paypal yet, but will do tomorrow, and will post the updated spreadsheet then.

And of course, our new drive has just gone live!!!

https://gofund.me/36b72192

Please get word out about that any way you can.  I feel like we've got a lot of work to do with this one and not a lot of time to do it in.  I'm hoping our first purchase will be the EKG machine, and of course there is a shipping wait involved with its purchase.  After that, I really want to get hot and heavy on the kids' gifts.

Most importantly:  thank you all for keeping this going in my absence.  You guys are absolutely wonderful and none of this would be possible without you.

11/23/22 7:33 a.m.

Alrighty!  As promised:

Again, you guys are absolutely amazing for keeping this going while I was gone!!  I was SUPER happy to see that our donations to our shelter had continued, and that we were right on track to reach our goals for the past two months!  We're sitting pretty at just under 900k forint, and I'm poised and ready to send that off on the 30th as promised. 

Also in my absence, we got our first shipment of baby blankets!  These are hand made and come from a military spouse currently stationed in Sicily.  They were originally made for refugees coming to her area, but could not be distributed as they did not receive as many people as they were originally expecting.  Instead of going to waste, she reached out to us and is now using our trip to send the blankets directly refugees in Dnipro!  We've received our first box and are expecting one more before we go.

As mentioned in our previous post, our drive has gone live:  https://gofund.me/691c24f1

VikkiDp and I are chatting on whatsapp and she is currently working with parents to put a list together of gift ideas for children in her area.  We're going to start with about 30 children and work our way up from there.  Right now we're going to ask for two ideas for each child that total about $40 for each gift.  If we're able to get the EKG and both gifts for each kid, then we'll add more children until everyone gets something!  I have high hopes for this one.

Anyhoo, I still owe you guys an update from Africa.  I plan on writing everything from the trip in the adventure section of the forum, but there's one bit that needs to go here.  Without that one piece of the story, this whole operation would be absolutely dead in the water.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/23/22 9:52 a.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) :

Thanksgiving donation incoming. I'll hit you again for Christmas.

11/24/22 6:17 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) :

Thanksgiving donation incoming. I'll hit you again for Christmas.

Got it, sir!  Thank you very much!!

1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 83

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7pwwRn4SsxDHFvkajGvEse4H1CNBm8i8a4tsL96M93mRWmJCsszKkn6OVmb72TCS